Anyone here have the ACE 900 Renegade?

500ssman

For sure the ETEC will use more oil than the ACE. The ETEC's don't use as much oil as some of the older sleds though. As I said before, some like the 900 some don't. Personal preferences and I prefer the 2 stroke for the reasons I stated above.  Based on the internet I was convinced that the ACE 900 was the perfect sled for me, until I rode one.

Many people like the 900 and I'm not saying it's not a good engine, just that it really needs to be test driven.

I own both a 600 etec Gade and an Ace 900 Gade. Both motors are an excellent choice depending on your personal preferences.

As much as I love the etec being the best 2-stroke I've owned, if I was buying again, I would select the Ace. having owned my first 4-stroke, I won't return to a 2-stroke for a variety of reasons.

Part of the learning curve with a 4-strokes is that they take significant kms to break in. Unlike a 2-stroke, a 500km 4-stroke has a long way to go before you realize peak power and fuel economy. The difference at 2,000 km was considerably different than 500 kms.

The only way to compare the Ace with the etec is by running the Ace in Sport mode. As others have noted, corner to corner is strong as well as typical trail punch. As others also noted, where the two motors differ is in upper end speed. While the 600 etec still has punch at 100 or 110, take an Ace to a lake and upwards of 110 the motor rolls rather than runs out to it's top speed. In a race to the end of the lake, the 600 will win every time.

Now for the 90% of the trail riders who don't really care about top end speed, the Ace really shines. I've tracked every tankful for both machines and the Ace is always better. The different isn't huge, however if range is a concern, my riding on the Ace always provides another 30kms of range. Sure 87 octane is cheaper but let's face it, how much difference does that really make over a season? More importantly, 87 octane is easy to find. The same applies to oil, yes it's a saving but better yet, as a touring rider I'm thrilled that I no longer need to carry bottles of oil. The Ace is also very, very quiet, though I must admit I never found my 600 to be offensive.

My last observation is hard to describe as it really isn't tangible, it's just a gut feeling. As kms build on my 2-strokes I'm always left with a nagging question of how long the motor will last. With the 4-stroke as the kms  build it continues to feel the same as it was when new. That gut feeling suggests that a 4-stroke is going to last far longer than a 2-stroke. I can't prove it, but I suspect it is true.

As I stated at the start, the short answer is that the 600 etec and Ace 900 are both good motors. It just depends on your preference.

As I stated at the start, the short answer is that the 600 etec and Ace 900 are both good motors. It just depends on your preference.

VERY well said.

I own both a 600 etec Gade and an Ace 900 Gade. Both motors are an excellent choice depending on your personal preferences.

As much as I love the etec being the best 2-stroke I've owned, if I was buying again, I would select the Ace. having owned my first 4-stroke, I won't return to a 2-stroke for a variety of reasons.

Part of the learning curve with a 4-strokes is that they take significant kms to break in. Unlike a 2-stroke, a 500km 4-stroke has a long way to go before you realize peak power and fuel economy. The difference at 2,000 km was considerably different than 500 kms.

The only way to compare the Ace with the etec is by running the Ace in Sport mode. As others have noted, corner to corner is strong as well as typical trail punch. As others also noted, where the two motors differ is in upper end speed. While the 600 etec still has punch at 100 or 110, take an Ace to a lake and upwards of 110 the motor rolls rather than runs out to it's top speed. In a race to the end of the lake, the 600 will win every time.

Now for the 90% of the trail riders who don't really care about top end speed, the Ace really shines. I've tracked every tankful for both machines and the Ace is always better. The different isn't huge, however if range is a concern, my riding on the Ace always provides another 30kms of range. Sure 87 octane is cheaper but let's face it, how much difference does that really make over a season? More importantly, 87 octane is easy to find. The same applies to oil, yes it's a saving but better yet, as a touring rider I'm thrilled that I no longer need to carry bottles of oil. The Ace is also very, very quiet, though I must admit I never found my 600 to be offensive.

My last observation is hard to describe as it really isn't tangible, it's just a gut feeling. As kms build on my 2-strokes I'm always left with a nagging question of how long the motor will last. With the 4-stroke as the kms  build it continues to feel the same as it was when new. That gut feeling suggests that a 4-stroke is going to last far longer than a 2-stroke. I can't prove it, but I suspect it is true.

Excellent comparison.

I am not a big fan of the four strokes. I really like my Etecs. Still I was impressed. Did not feel heavy and rode very well. I find it hard to believe they are that much more efficient than a 600 Etec. Still I thought it worked well and could see myself riding one in the future, but not just yet.

You are getting older, It comes with time,

You up for the april 1st tour?

That sounds pretty good but I don't know. Have to see what happens over next few weeks and how long I can be away. Going to get real busy when/if this weather breaks. Keep me posted.

No one has commented on the secondary spring issue.  Is it not widespread, like the 1200's?  Guys I know replaced it twice during a week's riding.

oh yea i forgot about that, my secondary let go a few weeks ago. 

dealer said they have had a few come back for same issue, fixed under warrenty though 

According to Doo the 900 gets 23mpg and the ETEC 600 gets 21mpg. Not much difference. 2 mpg can be gained or lost just by how you ride.

But the etec needs a bottom end at 4200kms! Yikes!

Well I'm seriously considering one. I've sent out some emails to the various doo dealers in tje province for pricing. Weight on the gade is acceptable at a little over 500lbs dry.. As long as I can continue to ride the trails stupid fast as well as save a few bucks on fuel and have my hearing last a bit longer i think this might be my cup of tea.

Archived