Giant's Tomb Ride

Bark Biter

WOW, what a site to see what Mother Nature can do.  

I want to go back again tomorrow.   :-D

post-21210-0-98110600-1393804266_thumb.jpg

post-21210-0-44208300-1393804268_thumb.jpg

post-21210-0-19349200-1393804271_thumb.jpg

post-21210-0-01508800-1393804273_thumb.jpg

post-21210-0-42615500-1393804274_thumb.jpg

post-21210-0-46902700-1393804277_thumb.jpg

post-21210-0-02132800-1393804281_thumb.jpg

post-21210-0-70821100-1393804284_thumb.jpg

post-21210-0-89712000-1393804287_thumb.jpg

post-21210-0-97448300-1393804291_thumb.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you to Bark Biter for letting us know about the cool ice formations. Went there with a group of about 20 sleds this morning. Here's a picture of some OC'ers:

post-22473-0-14090300-1393805516_thumb.jpg

White Dragon, Bark Biter, Mrs. Bearcat, and Bearcat:

Thank you to Bark Biter for letting us know about the cool ice formations. Went there with a group of about 20 sleds this morning. Here's a picture of some OC'ers:

attachicon.gif20140302_122557.jpg

Did you add any OC stickers? LOL

attachicon.gif20140302_122557.jpg

What time were you out there? We set out at 10:00 from Honey Harbour. There were 24 of us as a group and came around the north end of the island then headed south along the caves. We went down to the south end and headed back toward Beausoleil. We passed a large group probably about 20 or so headed out from what looked like Midland. We were in a line and the group we passed was more of a herd. One guy was waving at us as we passed.

What time were you out there? We set out at 10:00 from Honey Harbour. There were 24 of us as a group and came around the north end of the island then headed south along the caves. We went down to the south end and headed back toward Beausoleil. We passed a large group probably about 20 or so headed out from what looked like Midland. We were in a line and the group we passed was more of a herd. One guy was waving at us as we passed.

That would have been me. It was 11:55 when I waved.

I missed meeting you a couple of weeks ago, when you were with the Baxter group resting at C and B105, so this time I was on the look out for a green Jag Z1. When I saw one, I waved like a fool. LOL

How does one get to the caves if they were interested in seeing them?

gathering in midland

sleddinmar22014attombs001_zpsc5e2f268.jp

sleddinmar22014attombs002_zps33597b24.jp

at the tombs,little ruff on lake near island

sleddinmar22014attombs004_zpsf263d422.jp

someone's big fingers in way

sleddinmar22014attombs005_zpse1518ac9.jp

bill's family

sleddinmar22014attombs006_zpsc00e9de2.jp

went to maple valley for lunch with our gang,decent place & cool in right on trail

sleddinmar22014attombs009_zpsa5862603.jp

lots of sled there..

sleddinmar22014attombs010_zps6e05cdcb.jp

bunch of ugly sleds eh ?

sleddinmar22014attombs011_zps8fba719f.jp

only non-smoker at table (aka sled smasher)

sleddinmar22014attombs012_zps8a60852e.jp

really ? those risers are too much

sleddinmar22014attombs014_zps6afc844d.jp

back on sno-voyaguers trails

sleddinmar22014attombs015_zpsc9a451c1.jp

last shot of dragon before the ''the bark biter phenomenon '' occured

sleddinmar22014attombs017_zpsd5a0c7a8.jp

was a great ride on trails & very cool to see the tombs

OC members were bark biter,bearcat,blake,fastwhitecat & abunch of other sledders

my son ran into a 6'' round tree just off trail...ski got caught on high side of birm & rode him right into it...duh..brake ?...he is fine,nothing money won't fix...had 4 e mails about sled tonite from kijiji

good luck is over now...

Gee whiz, WD, not a good week for your equipment.

Here's a nice picture from earlier today, of you and the young lad, with an undamaged machine.

So glad he did not get hurt. It is so easy to get into trouble on these things.

post-22473-0-28849700-1393810336_thumb.jpg

Are the ice caves typically accessible or just when conditions allow it (like this winter)?

I was wondering the same thing, as it was a very neat place to visit and I would like to go back. Presumably this has been the first optimal viewing winter since the proliferation of social media.

I had never heard of the caves before yesterday, but my current impression is that there may have been years when more adventurous and knowledgeable souls were able to get to the ice caves, but this is the first winter in a long time that has provided a combination of good cave formation, along with safer than normal sledding access for "the masses."

That's my one cent's worth. Let's find out what the more knowledgeable folks can tell us.

very cool thing to see... we also were out there today to check it out.

Great pictures Glenn and Blake.  Glenn, so glad to hear that Jake is not hurt.  You say ''the bark biter phenomenon '', LOL.  Like you said nothing that money cannot fix but more importantly Jake is not hurt.

What I have heard is that this is the first year in approx 20 that Giant's Tomb Island has been accessible by sled due to Mother Nature being cooperative with us this season.

Personally I would not venture to ride there without someone who knows the waters as Dan (high school friend) who was kind enough to be our guide knows what areas to avoid due to well ups and such.

That would have been me. It was 11:55 when I waved.

I missed meeting you a couple of weeks ago, when you were with the Baxter group resting at C and B105, so this time I was on the look out for a green Jag Z1. When I saw one, I waved like a fool. LOL

I was at the tail of the group so when I saw a guy waving like a fool I waved back like a fool as well.

I was at the tail of the group so when I saw a guy waving like a fool I waved back like a fool as well.

couldn't miss you or blake waving like school girls,good for a laff

Fantastic pics !!!

O/C Members: White Dragon, Bark Biter, Blake G, Bearcat_w

Sounds like White Dragon's son is now "Bark Biter II" :hyper:

vSiXnZN.jpg

Are the ice caves typically accessible or just when conditions allow it (like this winter)?

The caves are usually accessible on the years that they form, however, it takes very specific tempeature/wind/wave conditions for them to form. As I understand it, the caves haven't formed since at least the 90's.

The waves first throw up a pile of water to create the wall, then before freeze-up they hollow out some openings in the base. Final freeze-up locks it all in.

As far as I could guesstimate, the ice wall itself is about a kilometer long.

Is there some place to park and launch in Midland? I might venture out to the caves this Saturday.

Yes. there are several.  White Dragon's first picture is a good parking lot at the start of the tree line towards Beausoleil island.  Its at the foot of William Street at Bayshore Drive.  You can also get on the bay at Pettersen park, adjacent to Bayport Marina. Both are also right on the trail.

Is there some place to park and launch in Midland? I might venture out to the caves this Saturday.

from hwy 12 go straight down William Street. It bends west as it comes to the waterfront. There is parking there for Unimin Park. People also park their for their ice huts. It can get busy. An alternative is to set out from Honey Harbour. There is staging available at Village Marina in Honey Harbour.

Hey Molson Canadian, where did you come from.   :hugs:   

Nature at its surprising best.

Great photos. Thanks for posting.

Thanks all, I prefer to go from Midland but I've read Honey Harbour might be better. Depends on my buddy, how far he wants to drive. 

Archived