Giant's Tomb Ride

Bark Biter

This reminds me of last month, when people had been running through the frozen Lighthouse Narrows near Gravenhurst for a few weeks. I was not on the lake for a few days, and when I returned to the same place, the water was open. This type of thing is especially scary in a huge body of water like Lake Huron.

You are so right.  Now hopefully people will shy away from the big lakes till the ice melts and they can go boating.  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now hopefully people will shy away from the big lakes till the ice melts and they can go boating. I agree that people should be very shy if they don't know the lakes.

I'm not sure what you mean by the big lakes, but there is plenty of great sledding on Muskoka, Rosseau and Joe, if you avoid the known trouble spots.  I've asked four different ice fishermen or dock builders about ice thickness in the past eight days (south of Browning Island, between Pine and Birch Islands, between Tondern Island and Skeleton Bay, and between Cinderwood and Grandview Islands). All reported over two feet of ice, and one said three feet. There is open water or thinner ice in other places that are known as typically unsafe.

"If you don't know, don't go" is a good motto.

Ran out to the caves today. Rode up to Maple Valley and then through Awenda. The last bit of the trail to the bay was road running and no snow.mwe headed ot the bay rounding the point with Giant's Tomb visible. It was rough going. Not a lot of snow on the ice and some bare patches. No open water that we saw. I always carry my rescue gear. Headed towards the Southern a Tip and you could see the large pressure craks. We crossed a few smaller ones and headed to shore where ther is a well worn trail arounfpd the Southern tip of the island. Once on the West side it was an easy ride along seeing some of the caves. Talking to one lady there she said they had really shrunk form a few days ago. Headed up the West side and followed tracks across the island to the East side again. Lots of groups parked set some buildings there. We headed back toward Penetang. Really glad I put my ice scratchers on this year. Hooked up with the trail leading West. Went back up to Maple Valley for a late lunch. Took the rail line back to Barrie. Sure I went through a pair of sliders this weekend. Also had a 500 ml of oil blow apart in my knapsack. What a mess. Three days of running my body feels it.

RR

Attempted the trip to the Tomb today, leaving from Penetang Harbour.  We made it just west of the point and my buddies snowmobile had major engine issues.

As Don said in the previous post, snow is scarce on the ice right now, but stick to the marked trail and it will just be enough to keep the heat exchange/sliders good.

We did not come across any pressure cracks through the entire harbour to Beausoleil Point.

Archived