North bay area this weekend......March 1st-2nd

rockerdan

Hey gang,

Well this weekend we have been planning our NB ride, the http://www.nbssr.com/ radar runs will be in full swing sat and sun which is always a blast.  We went down last saturday to Gravenhurst for their runs and just had an awesome time.  Some serious iron with some bigtime speeds in 1320'(184.1mph in quarter mile!!!)

Anyway, Just hoping to hear some local conditions heading up the quick way-- D, thru powassan,700,710 onto Nip.

Got a room over at the comfort....just not sure if we are heading up fri/sat or sat/sun yet....waiting to see if we have more coming with us or not.  

East side Marios and Pizza hut for eats....lol

thanks!

Dan

post-23178-0-51849200-1393437974_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-79749200-1393438026_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-35572200-1393438031_thumb.jpg

Hey gang,

Well this weekend we have been planning our NB ride, the http://www.nbssr.com/ radar runs will be in full swing sat and sun which is always a blast.  We went down last saturday to Gravenhurst for their runs and just had an awesome time.  Some serious iron with some bigtime speeds in 1320'(184.1mph in quarter mile!!!)

Anyway, Just hoping to hear some local conditions heading up the quick way-- D, thru powassan,700,710 onto Nip.

Got a room over at the comfort....just not sure if we are heading up fri/sat or sat/sun yet....waiting to see if we have more coming with us or not.  

East side Marios and Pizza hut for eats....lol

thanks!

Dan

Dan, are you sure it was 184.1 mph not km/h. That would be a new world record according to my brief research. Either way, mph or km/h, that is still crazy!

From d123 north on D is the same way I plan to go to avoid road running. I will be staying with my cousins and grandma on trout lake. They have been there for over 70 years so they know North Bay very well. Although slightly farther from Comfort Inn, you must go to Greco's Pizza. IT IS AMAZING! You will wait a while for you pizza though so don't go there for a quick bite. Note: go to the Algonguin location, it is the original location and must better service 

Yes MPH. I seen one do 199mph a few years back on nippising, not sure if it was quarter mile tho. 

I believe they were running 2000' back then, went to 1320' last year to get the speeds down-lol

Dan you should stay at the Clarion pinewood inn. Trail access right to the door off the 710. Esso gas and Tim Hortons right across the street. Also if you walk a couple of hundred feet down the road you can have some cold ones at The Mosey On In and see some real North Bay talent  :lmao: ......  

I believe they were running 2000' back then, went to 1320' last year to get the speeds down-lol

Exactly.....these sleds have gotten so much faster , they now run only 1320 feet, and i believe the 'trail' tracks are only allowed to max of 135mph as I know a couple turbo apexs that are above 135 with trail tracks.

Aaron all MPH for sure, the video above is alittle older when it was 2000ft.  either way these are some of the WORLDS fastest sleds on radar.  I highly recommend checking them out.

Dan

Dan you should stay at the Clarion pinewood inn. Trail access right to the door off the 710. Esso gas and Tim Hortons right across the street. Also if you walk a couple of hundred feet down the road you can have some cold ones at The Mosey On In and see some real North Bay talent  :lmao: ......  

Hey bud.....I knew you would have some good advice, we always stay at the comfort more cause we like to be on lakeshore right infront of the radars and also like to keep sled parked infront of the glass doors to keep eye on them.   have not been to see the talent in awhile now!  mozey mozey!

Ok gang....so can anyone recommend a good spot to eat on the way up?      It looks like we are going up sat and coming back sun now.    Sat id like to have a lunch break on the way up, andI know Sundridge has good food but is off route by about 10km which is not bad.   But is there not anything closer on trail?  Powassan is probably alittle too far north for lunch, as we will surely have dinner later on after we get our room in NB.     I think South river has a restaurant we used to stop at?  but is it any good?   and also south river is on hwy11 off route abit.

On our way home from NB i think we are gonna stick to short route as we will be hanging out awhile at races, and maybe just swing in to sand lake for food later sunday evening.  So more looking for food stops on way up.

I think we will just fillup at sprucedale on way up too, it should be only 210km or so(125miles) so fuel and oil wont be an issue.....miss my 4 strokes for overnighters, not worrying about oil was nice!

any other suggestions i appreciate gang!

Dan

your thinking of Antonio's at the shell gas station in south river, you should hold off and hit kudo's in powasson

ahh yes that is it, been a few yrs.....

I was thinking waiting til Powassan but that is much further up for us, and i know we all want to eat dinner in NB.   

I guess maybe we will lean toward Sundridge, same place we ate a few weeks ago, was real good and gas nearby, maybe just skip sprucedale and get gas sundridge and food.

Also im not sure how early we will get away sat morning so probably south more for food is a good idea.

thanks!

You will see sleds like this at North bay Aaron.

Holly chit that's fast!

We went down last saturday to Gravenhurst for their runs and just had an awesome time.  Some serious iron with some bigtime speeds in 1320'(184.1mph in quarter mile!!!)

Hey Dan, I saw a pair of orange 2014 Skidoos at the run, but didn't see you around any place? One of the sleds had a blue helmet sitting on it. Was that you guys?

I was there an hour and didn't see the 184.1 mph run. I did see the Hurricane sled, and I think it was around 170 or so on it's first run of the day. Not much good for trail riding, though.

Hey Dan, I saw a pair of orange 2014 Skidoos at the run, but didn't see you around any place? One of the sleds had a blue helmet sitting on it. Was that you guys?

I was there an hour and didn't see the 184.1 mph run. I did see the Hurricane sled, and I think it was around 170 or so on it's first run of the day. Not much good for trail riding, though.

Hey Blake!

Yeah we got there pretty early and parked the sleds over there, those were our sleds.  I know several of the guys who religiously run at NB, so we made the rounds and yakked with the guys checking out the iron for this year, really something to see some of these monsters!

We ended up later(after they got runs going) standing right at the start line off to the left(looking down track)  I know its often easier recognizing sledders by their helmets or sleds then face!  lol

I got the MAX speeds for the entire weekend off the NBSSR site results....when we were there sat the speeds were alittle less as you mentioned.  Im pretty psyched for NB runs this sunday.  We always try to ride up there at least one weekend for an overnighter, and its great to have the radar track right there infront of the motel.

Gonna check over the sled today and lay low(since its minus 25 still!) and we will head up tomorrow AM, and come back south Sunday afternoon.

Dan

I got the MAX speeds for the entire weekend off the NBSSR site results....when we were there sat the speeds were alittle less as you mentioned.  Im pretty psyched for NB runs this sunday.  We always try to ride up there at least one weekend for an overnighter, and its great to have the radar track right there infront of the motel.

I sure wasn't doubting the numbers you quoted - - some of those sleds are incredibly fast!

Ride safely as always.

Do you happen to know when and where the races are? The site says nipissing and this weekend but not a time/location on nipissing lol.

thanks guys!

the radars are right out infront of sunset park, I posted some pics in my first post above, just click on pic and i have labeled where the track is.  Its really hard to miss standing on lakeshore blvd near sunset park, they get a big crowd.   They usually get going around 10-11am and go til dusk sometimes, but now this time of yr maybe not quite dusk.

anyone else heading there say hello!!

Dan

Very close to Torbay Cottages #10 on map

thanks guys!

the radars are right out infront of sunset park, I posted some pics in my first post above, just click on pic and i have labeled where the track is.  Its really hard to miss standing on lakeshore blvd near sunset park, they get a big crowd.   They usually get going around 10-11am and go til dusk sometimes, but now this time of yr maybe not quite dusk.

anyone else heading there say hello!!

Dan

Thanks guys!

Dan when you get there please update on conditions and road running

Sorry I can't help on the road running south of Astorville, I stay away from there.

I believe there are signs posted regarding options.

There is a sign as you head north on the A trail where it intersects with SSR700 (which goes to Powassan) - basically take the SSR700 trail to Powassan and you can bypass 8 ?? kms of road running on TOP A. If you take this bypass, eat lunch at Kudo's.

There isn't a sign, to my knowledge, as you head south on the D / A trail from North Bay. The A trail is a railway bed and you'd have to turn right (west) onto a road that leads you about 100 metres (yards for our American friends :)) to C110D. If you continue past C110D on the TOP trail you're committed to the 8 km road running further ahead.

The roads aren't scraped down to pavement as they are in other townships (at least they weren't for us, recently). I'm sure that the road conditions change weekly. There were some late season posts last year from riders 'peeved' at the road running in the spring.

Choices. At least they're available to us. Plan ahead and enjoy.

awesome trip!!    Been alittle busy since sunday when we got back.

trails were mint entire way, not a bump sat or sun...only roads we hit had lots of snow on them, take the way we went onto Nip..just awesome.

Comfort inn is directly across road from radar runs, did not even need to run sidewalks, it was perfect and park sleds at your sliding door for easy access to sleds and less worry.

will try to load up some pics ...we all had a blast, was 140 miles each way, got gas and lunch in sundridge on way up, and gas/dinner south river on way home...both easy to get too off main D trail bout 8km into towns.

some pics of Liam and I playing in powder off trail not far from south river...great fun!

Dan

post-23178-0-91271800-1394057522_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-84326000-1394057839_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-45356900-1394057882_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-41856100-1394059938_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-33192400-1394059992_thumb.jpg

Awesome report dan! sweet pics, too! I will report conditions on friday evening

Archived