Friday's Trip Report

aar0n

Hi,

Got back a couple hours ago from an amazing ride! Left a little late around 12. Heading on LOB down Haystack Bay over the thompson's portage left to south portage and then across Pen to Deerhurst. BTW, South Portage is OPEN for gas but beware it is 1.80$/liter! I sh*t bricks when the guy gave me the bill...$19 for 10.5 litres...

LOB and PEN are highways, almost like drag strips. Got on d102b at Deehurst and to my surprise it was MINT! I was amazed. Headinig up D102B to trail 95. I say this after every ride but 95 is an abosuletely STUNNING trail! Wide, nice and hilly, you can see the trail cut through the trees for miles when you're on top of the many hills. It was MINT as well, 5th or 6th person to ride the freshly groomed trail. Got to D trail and headed west to Emsdale. To my surprise, Emsdale didn't have gas so had to push to Sprucedale on minimal gas. Glad I did, the SEGUIN IS AMAZING!!! It was getting rough though in some spots but then I come around a corner and see flashing lights (thought it was the cops!). I had no idea what I was approaching but turns out it was the groomer! My first time in 2 seasons seeing a groomer. Gave a big wave and an excessive thumbs up and kept on riding. He was grooming very wide on Seguin I was able to put my track on the white carpet all the way to Sprucedale (did not rip up all his hard work, rode very respectfully). Got to Sprucedale and got gas and snacks at Kars? (think that's what it was called). Decided to head back home the same way we came as it was excellent and FAST. Rode the fresh white carpet all the way back to 95 where we passed the groomer and gave him another big thumbs up! 95 had gotten rougher as did d102b but still enjoyable. Came back on lakes in the dark and it was pretty scary because I couldn't follow the stakes. Some guy headed right at me in Haystack bay I thought he was drunk and would slam into. We move away from each other, turns out he was waving me down. It was 7pm and he wanted to know how to get to North Bay!! I said, are you serious!? You're going tonight! He said yeah why not, and then told him how to get there. Didn't get many pics as it was too awesome to stop!

Very horrifying thing happened to me today though. Leaving Deerhurst, you have to cross hwy 60. My sled was inclined on the snow bank waiting for 5mins to cross. When I went to cross, I made it to the yellow line and the sled bogged down! WOT not moving, stuck on HWY 60. Cars slowed down thankfully dad came and pushed sled just made it across. Shut it down and ran great right after (no idea what the helk happened). I think it flooded on the bank maybe? Anyways, still very scary!

post-23341-0-15597000-1392426959_thumb.png

post-23341-0-94665200-1392427155_thumb.jpg

post-23341-0-73667900-1392427160_thumb.jpg

post-23341-0-55780000-1392427165_thumb.jpg

post-23341-0-73662700-1392427170_thumb.jpg

post-23341-0-39858000-1392427176_thumb.jpg

Thanks, aar0n. Very interesting and well written. I enjoy trip reports like this because they provide ideas of what to do next!

That incident on Highway 60 is what nightmares are made of.

Great report Aaron , you are a lucky one to ride the trail out of deerhurst groomed ,we were in sprucedale today too , gas station was lined up with sleds ,the highway crossing sounds scary 

Thanks for the report Aaron.  It sounds like a great day of riding.

Nice report Aaron.  Boy you were lucky to hit Deerhurst on good trails.  I have only hit that trail once also where it was nice.  Glad to hear you had a good ride.  Thanks for the report.  

P.S.  Nice looking sled also. :right_on:

Nice report Aaron.  Boy you were lucky to hit Deerhurst on good trails.  I have only hit that trail once also where it was nice.  Glad to hear you had a good ride.  Thanks for the report.  

P.S.  Nice looking sled also. :right_on:

I was very surprised as well. And thanks, I  keep it clean :)

great report & pics aaron...nice sled too

Great report Aaron, we saw you on the trail, we were a group of four stopped on a straight section eating snacks when you drove by.  We were the two Ski-Doo GSXs and two black Yamaha Vectors.  Saw you leading with Dad and passenger following.  The wife and I (on Yamahas) were led on a great tour of the area by irREVerant and his wife (on GSXs).  Beautiful trails in great condition!  I'll post pics of our trip later, we just got back and I'm pooped.

Great report Aaron, we saw you on the trail, we were a group of four stopped on a straight section eating snacks when you drove by.  We were the two Ski-Doo GSXs and two black Yamaha Vectors.  Saw you leading with Dad and passenger following.  The wife and I (on Yamahas) were led on a great tour of the area by irREVerant and his wife (on GSXs).  Beautiful trails in great condition!  I'll post pics of our trip later, we just got back and I'm pooped.

I remember you!! I'm going to look through my helmet cam videos and find a picture of you! Glad you're enjoying the area. Where did we meet just so I can narrow down my hours of videos? 

FOUND IT!! Took a long time scrolling through all those videos but I remembered your group very clearly. Here are some screenshots. 

You are correct, I lead because I go slow and my sled can hug corners better then the skidoo safari so I identify any crazies. You saw my dad driving my brothers sled (91 safari), and my brother was probably passenger at the time

FOUND IT!! We met on 95 north. Took a long time scrolling through all those videos but I remembered your group very clearly. Here are some screenshots. 

You are correct, I lead because I go slow and my sled can hug corners better then the skidoo safari so I identify any crazies. You saw my dad driving my brothers sled (91 safari) while my brother was passenger (not usually the case) 

Awesome sleds in your group! 

post-23341-0-05564400-1392507470_thumb.png

post-23341-0-20684600-1392507490_thumb.png

post-23341-0-86507300-1392507507_thumb.png

post-23341-0-34239900-1392507634_thumb.png

post-23341-0-38885000-1392507662_thumb.png

post-23341-0-98187200-1392507691_thumb.png

Yup that's us!  I do remember seeing your helmet cam, looked like the Contour.  A little late now but I looked at the time on the GPS track and it was 2:28pm.

Great pics Aaron.  You made it down south Ultra? Having a good time?

Yup that's us!  I do remember seeing your helmet cam, looked like the Contour.  A little late now but I looked at the time on the GPS track and it was 2:28pm.

good eye, it is the contour

Archived