Federal Budget committs $10 million to snowmobile trails

Big Pete

The federal budget is committing $10 million dollars to snowmobile trails nationally.  First question, how should the money be divided? Secondly, given that this would be a new funding source for Ontario (I do not recall any money from the feds in the recent past but I could be wrong) what should the funding be used for.

For me this new funding should be dedicated to groomer replacement. We know our current funding is not sufficient to fund the required groomer replacements. This could be a very welcomed boost to the groomer fund to deal some of the urgent replacement issues.

What we can not let happen is to let the existing Infratructure funding from the province disappear. I can see the current Liberal govt trying to eliminate the TDF funding and replace it with the federal funding.

Sort of related to this....Always wondered why land owners do not get free trail passes....would help encourage them to make trails available. Bet it is some kind of government regulation preventing this.

According to the June 2012 study by the Internal Association of Snowmobile Administrators, Ontario operates approx 34% of the national trail network (32,920 of 97,438 total km). So based on fair share of trail network that would be approx $3.4million. And at an average of $200K a unit, thats 17 new grooming units. Add that on top of the 5-7 units the fund does annually from current resources, that a big dent in the groomer replacement program.

Things like culverts, diesel fuel, bridge redecking are operational items imo. If a club cant cover those items in the operating budget, we have bigger problems than groomer replacement.

The issue of spreading it fairly is going to be a big debate. Does fair mean the greatest need or does it mean equally around the Districts?

According to the June 2012 study by the Internal Association of Snowmobile Administrators, Ontario operates approx 34% of the national trail network (32,920 of 97,438 total km). So based on fair share of trail network that would be approx $3.4million. And at an average of $200K a unit, thats 17 new grooming units. Add that on top of the 5-7 units the fund does annually from current resources, that a big dent in the groomer replacement program.

Things like culverts, diesel fuel, bridge redecking are operational items imo. If a club cant cover those items in the operating budget, we have bigger problems than groomer replacement.

The issue of spreading it fairly is going to be a big debate. Does fair mean the greatest need or does it mean equally around the Districts?

I smell (JobS) Action Plan through trail infrastructure...

some money is better than no money

Sort of related to this....Always wondered why land owners do not get free trail passes....would help encourage them to make trails available. Bet it is some kind of government regulation preventing this.

I have always been told its a  mto owned permitt , So it would be the same as giveing out a val sticker for your truck or car . Before that I was told that it was also an insurance issue. some clubs did it years ago I think some still do but I would not want to be in there shoes if there ever was a accident on the landowners property, dealing with lawers will kill you

I have not seen budget details but was told last night at a meeting that the money was to be spread out over five years, Is that true. If thats true that will mean Nine million to P.Q the rest for everyone else over the five years. lol

The federal budget is committing $10 million dollars to snowmobile trails nationally.  First question, how should the money be divided? Secondly, given that this would be a new funding source for Ontario (I do not recall any money from the feds in the recent past but I could be wrong) what should the funding be used for.

For me this new funding should be dedicated to groomer replacement. We know our current funding is not sufficient to fund the required groomer replacements. This could be a very welcomed boost to the groomer fund to deal some of the urgent replacement issues.

What we can not let happen is to let the existing Infratructure funding from the province disappear. I can see the current Liberal govt trying to eliminate the TDF funding and replace it with the federal funding.

Anything helps. $10 million = approx. 45 new groomers at $225K each, but with 735 clubs in Canada, it doesn't go far - - - - but better than nothing for sure.

A great idea, GG. We used to get trail pass(es) for a trail crossing land in Tiny Township. It was my big intro to OFSC trails.

The permits were pulled because if a landowner gets "consideration" for his/her gift, it's not really a gift and a higher standard of care is attributable. OFSC (or at least our District rep) said landowners were being brought into litigation.

As for Fed $$ - bravo.

As per usual, most will go to Quebec or they will threaten to leave Canada again.  Always happens this way.

As per usual, most will go to Quebec or they will threaten to leave Canada again.  Always happens this way.

Yes but look at what snowmobiling generates in terms of revenue there....upwards of 2 billion annually. 

Archived