Manitoulin Island Accommodations?

Laughing Moose

Could anyone advise a good place to stay overnight on Manitoulin Island.  Looking for a decent meal and perhaps a hot tub after a day on the sled.  Thanks

Could anyone advise a good place to stay overnight on Manitoulin Island.  Looking for a decent meal and perhaps a hot tub after a day on the sled.  Thanks

Not sure hot tubs exist anywhere on Manitoulin Island in the winter. FaceMan was kind enough to recommend the Hawberry Motel in Little Current as a good spot - about 2 blocks off the trail - but there seems to be very little going on in terms of sled type accomodation. Here are some email replies to questions about trail access and rates at various places. They all have web sites for which you can search on Google:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I am open all winter, and the snowmobile trail is just up

from the motel on highway 6, and I am located on highway 6. I

believe it's about 5 minutes south of where I am on highway 6.

I have been trying to locate a snowmobile map but can't seem

to find one.

I have rooms with either 1 double bed or 2 double beds. The

cost would be $70.00 for 1 double bed and $75.00 for 2 double

beds + tax.

If you are interested in making a booking, I would need a

valid credit card # with expiry date, a phone # and

approximate time of arrival.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Wayside Motel

------------------------------------------------

From the Huron Sands Motel - Providence Bay

The rate for 2 people in February or March is $79.50 plus tax

per night.  I don't go snowmobiling.  Not really sure how to

access the trail.Just so you know there are no restaurants

open in Providence Bay.

Sorry that I was not much help.

Huron Sands Motel

-------------------------------------------------

I’m not familiar with the trails sorry the one that was open in the back of us they closed it but I do know the ride in front of our Inn. Yes there is parking in front of the rooms we have fridges microwaves in a few of our rooms, The rate for a couple with one queen bed would be $110.00 plus taxes per night.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry but we are closed until April 1 and we really hope the

snow is all gone by the time we reopen.

Thanks for considering us and maybe we will see you in the

summer.

Regards 

-------------------------------------------

Thre is also the Manitoulin Inn and Conference Center in Little Current, but prices were to expensive for me and it was far from the trail.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I usually Google map the establishments, then compare with OFSC trail map (hybrid setting) to check trail proximity.

If I get any more email returns, will update this post.

Good luck..... Nothing like that in the winter on the Island... 

There is a place in Mindemoya (can't remember the name) it by the hospital.

Nice rooms, decent prices., Little off the trail but easy to get to, lots of parking.

Lots of places to eat and access by sled (roads, sorry)

Mindemoya is a good central location to stay, you can ride one end of the Island one day and the other the next.

There is a place in Mindemoya (can't remember the name) it by the hospital.

Nice rooms, decent prices., Little off the trail but easy to get to, lots of parking.

Lots of places to eat and access by sled (roads, sorry)

Mindemoya is a good central location to stay, you can ride one end of the Island one day and the other the next.

stayed at pirates cove once it was nice 

Thanks for the work and research.  After sizing it all up, we gave up on staying on Manitoulin, and opted for the Killarney Bay Inn in, of course, Killarney.  It was a nice ice ride from Little Current at the end of the day.  The folks were mega-accommodating and friendly.  Would definitely go there again.

In summary, we trailered to Sudbury, stayed Saturday night at the Pioneer Motel.  It was an austere, clean, basic facility.  Rode 350 km on Sunday through Nairn Centre, Espanola, Massey, Spanish, then crossed to Manitoulin, worked our way back east and got on the ice at LIttle Current to ride over to Killarney.  Monday, was a quick morning ride back to the truck and trailer at the Pioneer Motel.

Trails were generally fabulous, except a bit choppy close to Sudbury (expected).  Lake crossing from Spanish to Gore Bay was an hour of unmitigated bumps - big drifts.  I've done it once now, just to say I've done it.  Won't do it again.  Very friendly people at Massey sled club, having an open house and chit chat.  OPP on the trail north of Spanish were very civil and looked a bit cold.  Excellent breakfast at Jeremy's (truck stop in Nairn).  Nice lunch in Spanish at Spanish Inn.  

All and all, a good two days. 

post-22075-0-79212500-1392778466_thumb.jpg

we trailered to Sudbury, stayed Saturday night at the Pioneer Motel.  It was an austere, clean, basic facility.  

Considering what it looked like a few years ago, that's a big improvement.

Slomo, I'll have to update the database to reflect your info. You keep this up & I'll have to give you a writing credit ;-) .

Thanks 

Saw a post on DooTalk about someone staying at the Mindemoya Motel. Upon checking the OFSC / Google maps, thought I had found a motel on Manitoulin that was on the trail. However, hopes were dashed when I followed up with a street view - turns out where Google maps has situated the Mindemoya Motel is actually the local arena.

post-19713-0-34582700-1392809626_thumb.j

Back to the drawing board. dang.

Thanks Laughing Moose for the info about trail from Spanish to Gore Bay. Was beginning to think this might be an alternative, but not into bumps either.

Slomo, I'll have to update the database to reflect your info. You keep this up & I'll have to give you a writing credit ;-) .

Thanks 

The good I do for mankind is reward enough.

Thank you for the update.  We are staying at Killarney Bay Inn on Monday night, then heading to the island and on to Spanish to end the day.  I am a little concerned now about the 1hr of bumps from Gore Bay to Spanish. 

Is riding on the island worth it.  Or it is it a do it once to say you did and then never again?

Is the Spanish inn look decent to stay at?  We had planned on staying in Spanish on Tuesday night then onto Sudbury (Pine Falls Lodge) on Wednesday night.

Honestly its similar trails to the north part of D9. We do it as I go ice fishing while we're there. The run to Killarney or up to Birch is cool. I love the little to no traffic. Would I want to do it every year of two, probably not. Better places but it is worth a trip.

hopes were dashed when I followed up with a street view - turns out where Google maps has situated the Mindemoya Motel is actually the local arena.

I've sometimes wondered how Google Maps determines the locations of some places. I've seen icons for businesses that are not even close. For example, they show the Sears Catalog location in Apsley @ the arena  :wacko:

Is the Spanish inn look decent to stay at? 

It used to be Vances'. It was renamed a couple of years ago. Not sure if it has been reno'ed or not.

-------------------------------------------------

I’m not familiar with the trails sorry the one that was open in the back of us they closed it but I do know the ride in front of our Inn. Yes there is parking in front of the rooms we have fridges microwaves in a few of our rooms, The rate for a couple with one queen bed would be $110.00 plus taxes per night.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry but we are closed until April 1 and we really hope the

snow is all gone by the time we reopen.

Thanks for considering us and maybe we will see you in the

summer.

Regards 

-------------------------------------------

Thre is also the Manitoulin Inn and Conference Center in Little Current, but prices were to expensive for me and it was far from the trail.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So there are 2 Manitoulin Inns? I have 1 listed in Mindemoya, is that the 1 you contacted? Do you have a location for My Friends Inn?

So there are 2 Manitoulin Inns? I have 1 listed in Mindemoya, is that the 1 you contacted? Do you have a location for My Friends Inn?

Here's their website revrnd:

http://www.myfriendsinn.com/

And yes, there appears to be two Manitoulin Inns well sort of - this one in Mindemoya:

http://www.manitoulininn.ca/

Made a mistake above. Should read Manitoulin Hotel and Conference Centre - Little Current

http://circletrail.com/accomodations/

sorry, was getting more confusing than Fathers' Day in Mactier with all the emails.....

Thanks!

In the "master" list, I include all businesses whether they are open or closed (during winter or permanently). The file I send to Corey for the online version is filtered down to just open establishments.

Yes the Manitoulin Inn is on the North side of Mindomya, it a short ride to the trail with a little road running.

Midomya is a great palce to sart from, central to the whole Island.

ride the east end one day and the weast the next

Yes the Manitoulin Inn is on the North side of Mindomya, it a short ride to the trail with a little road running.

Midomya is a great palce to sart from, central to the whole Island.

ride the east end one day and the weast the next

good fishing too 

So to confirm, there is also nothing for accommadation in Gore Bay?

Thanks.

There is this place in Gore Bay lastzrt....

http://www.gordonslodge.ca/

But it might be a good idea to read a few of the TripAdvisor,ca reviews before you decide to go.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g499260-d535939-r20019493-Gordon_s_Lodge-Gore_Bay_Manitoulin_Island_Northeastern_Ontario_Ontario.html

Let us know how things turn out!

Forget Gordon Lodge.

There are a couple of B&B's McLaughlin Realestate in Gore Bay looks after one I think

lol Those reviews are borderline Bates motel stuff!

Our family has a 3rd generation 200 ac hunt camp on the SW corner of the island with a well appointed but very remote cabin.

My wife, son and myself are the only true sledheads in the family and it has become somewhat of a bucket listing to make a push for the camp on sleds after crossing from the mainland. Was wondering about accom. in Gore for a back-up plan only in case of conditions not allowing access to the camp. It sounds like our group might be better off just making a trail side emergency shelter! Thanks for the heads up though.

This is looking like it may be the perfect year for a late season attempt. Will take lots of pics and report if we give her a go.

Archived