Wawa lodging recommendations?

Polaris1

Wawa motorinn is one of a few still operating! Big bird is closed, along with northern lights.

Wawa motorinn is one of a few still operating! Big bird is closed, along with northern lights.

VR700 - sometimes you piss me off.

Please see my post here for a review of Best Northern -accomodations, restaurant, bar etc. or some of the proximate motels - White Fang and Mystic Isle. The trail is right across the road from the Best Northern, goes through the parking lot of the Mystic Isle and is reached fairly easily from the White Fang. (web sites for each included) These places are south of town.

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9964-wawa-best-northern-motelresort/

That being said, the Wawa Motor Inn is worth your consideration as they are the only ones in the group that are map sponsors for the Wawa area and made an appearance at the TO sled show last October. I have only stayed here in the summer, so will let someone else give a review. I don't have my maps with me, but the Bristol Motel in town may also be a map sponsor as well.

I attempted to get word from the Parkside Motel - also south of town - as to whether they were open or trail was close by, but received no response.

Wawa Motor Inn was great when we were there 2 years ago,nice enough rooms,acceptable price,loads of parking,great trail access,restaurant was great for supper but was understaffed for breakfast,friendly staff.

I would not have any trouble recommending them to anyone.The other accomodations,I cannot comment on because I have never stayed at any of them.

Wawa Motor Inn was great when we were there 2 years ago,nice enough rooms,acceptable price,loads of parking,great trail access,restaurant was great for supper but was understaffed for breakfast,friendly staff.

I would not have any trouble recommending them to anyone.The other accomodations,I cannot comment on because I have never stayed at any of them

Stayed there as well. Only issue was the night we were there a large group (40 or 50 sleds) was there @ the same time. They ran out of some of the items on the menu. Gas is nearby & is trail accessible. 

No experience w/ the other businesses.

The Northern Lights is only closed during the winter. It's open during the rest of the year.

Wawa motor inn supports the wawa snowmobile club and is a great place to stay. It has been an epic year for snow with 4 ' around town and 5' just a few miles south and according to loggers working by Eton (about 30 miles south east) up to 7 foot of snow in the bush there!!!! Snowing hard today again!

No a&w's in wawa, soo or white river are the closest. i believe the best northern is closed this winter as well. looks like they might be going to summertime seasonal as well. wawa motor inn will be the best choice with food and drink onsite. Ski

No a&w's in wawa, soo or white river are the closest. i believe the best northern is closed this winter as well. looks like they might be going to summertime seasonal as well. wawa motor inn will be the best choice with food and drink onsite. Ski

a&w's in W A W A .....

post-19713-0-90129200-1391942690_thumb.j

That would be bad news about the Best Northern.

Maybe the lower dollar can improve tourism and change this trend

It would take an 80 cent dollar, to make a difference!

it would take ALOT MORE than a good exhange rate to get most out of province tourists to come back. our fuel here is close to half price of northern ontario (3.00 per gallon v.s 5.50 per gallon)... the taxes on a non resident for a visit, when buying anything scare most people. then you have the border passport issue. even with the exchange rate now bouncing between 9-11%, by the time you get the fees out of the way, it really is close par, especially when items are priced 20-30% higher in ontario.

the real issue for the northern hotels is the heating and hydro costs for the winter, when they sit empty or no where near capacity for everything but a few weekends. Mo & John at the northern lights told us, their heating hydro bill was 2200 for december. think if they had the rest of the hotel open, what it would have been, probably OVER DOUBLE. 

it is more cost effective for most tourists to go south, bahamas, mexico, vegas, florida cruises ect... than it is to vacation in ontario.

we do it because we love the area, the scenery and the people. we see the value in northern ontario.

most average tourists are looking for more bang for their buck, and higher costs make them think they could or would rather go elsewhere.  most have the "eh, been there done that" attitude. plus this season.... EVERYWHERE IN THE GREAT LAKES HAS HISTORICAL HIGH SNOW LEVELS. so, they can ride closer to home for cheaper.  

no easy fix

Ski

it is more cost effective for most tourists to go south, bahamas, mexico, vegas, florida cruises ect... than it is to vacation in ontario.

Ski, are folks in MI complaining about the winter? All you hear from the Toronto media is how awful this winter has been & how nice it would be to go south. We get the Detroit TV affiliates on the dish & they report the weather but no "whining man in the street" interviews.

everyone here hasnt saw a winter like this since the 70's. we have feet of snow on the ground right now. lots of people complaining, just not on TV. and we still have 6-8 weeks to go. this is an old time "normal winter" before the "global warming" people remember. Ski

this is an old time "normal winter" before the "global warming" people remember. Ski

X2

How true.

it would take ALOT MORE than a good exhange rate to get most out of province tourists to come back. our fuel here is close to half price of northern ontario (3.00 per gallon v.s 5.50 per gallon)... the taxes on a non resident for a visit, when buying anything scare most people. then you have the border passport issue. even with the exchange rate now bouncing between 9-11%, by the time you get the fees out of the way, it really is close par, especially when items are priced 20-30% higher in ontario.

the real issue for the northern hotels is the heating and hydro costs for the winter, when they sit empty or no where near capacity for everything but a few weekends. Mo & John at the northern lights told us, their heating hydro bill was 2200 for december. think if they had the rest of the hotel open, what it would have been, probably OVER DOUBLE. 

we do it because we love the area, the scenery and the people. we see the value in northern ontario.

most average tourists are looking for more bang for their buck, and higher costs make them think they could or would rather go elsewhere.  most have the "eh, been there done that" attitude. plus this season.... EVERYWHERE IN THE GREAT LAKES HAS HISTORICAL HIGH SNOW LEVELS. so, they can ride closer to home for cheaper.  

no easy fix

Ski

The good news is that there must be more like you as we are seeing a resurgence of Americans here 

i believe the best northern is closed this winter as well. looks like they might be going to summertime seasonal as well.

Yep, just got a confirmation of this from Best Northern via email - closed from December to March 26. Darn. One of my favourite places to stay.

no easy fix

Ski

Hydro bills are a killer.  I just heat my cottage to 48 degF when I am not there and that cost is enough.  Half those costs are for distribution, not even usage.  

Archived