Sled trails in winter and ATV in Summer

Furnace Guy

Whats the shared trails signage?  Everytime I'm on these trails there are hardly any signage. A friend of mine wrote off a sled last year due to the lack of signage. Isn't there suppose to be arrows for turns and on every turn? Isn't there a trail inspection before the trail is opened? Is there just not enough  volenteers? :icon_that:

In my experience the majority of OFSC trails do not double up as ATV trails in the summer or in the winter. How would a lack of signage translate to a wrecked sled? It is best not to assume that every single danger on a trail is marked and best to assume there is danger around every corner to stay safe or assume signage fell of, was stolen, or is covered by snow.

The signage is usually helpful but I drive slow so it's not necessary. I was shocked to find that on 90degree turns on TWO OCCASIONS THE ARROW WAS POINTED THE WRONG WAY...The trail went hard right and the arrow went off a small ridge into a river... do not SOLELY rely on the signage. 

There is a strict signage policy by the OFSC, but, as has been noted, not every turn is marked.  I suspect, if a sled was wrecked, there was driver error rather than a signage issue.  Also, signs are often stolen, removed or changed by folks who do not like sledding or want to cause havoc.

Whats the shared trails signage?  Everytime I'm on these trails there are hardly any signage. A friend of mine wrote off a sled last year due to the lack of signage. Isn't there suppose to be arrows for turns and on every turn? Isn't there a trail inspection before the trail is opened? Is there just not enough  volenteers? :icon_that:

what do you mean when you started your thread with " Whats the shared trail signage" ??

The wrecked sled occurred when the trail took a sharp right turn, where there was no sign. It was deceiving because the trail looked like it went straight and not to the right. The sled slid into a steel beam. There was no snow fence or barrier to block this hazard. After digging out the sled we found parts from many other sleds in the snow. I’m sure that we were not the first to hit this beam. It was a 2011 ski doo 4 stroke black and yellow in colour. We found green and blue plastic parts.

The trails around Halliburton are shared with atvs because there are signs for atvs.  

Only a couple of Haliburton trails are shared. Rail trail and B112 I think.

slow down if you do not know the trails

We have a couple of trails that are sleds in the winter and ATV in the summer. We have an absolutely outstanding partnership with our local ATV club. They have done huge amounts of trail work that we have benefited from. One of the real benefits we saw was that the township donated materials, gravel etc. for work the ATV club did on the trail. It makes it a lot easier to get participation from the township and other bodies when they are approached and told this is for the betterment of both organizations rather than just one.

Reality is ATV's aren't going away and you are far better off working with them as partners than as adversaries. When each understand what is important to the other you can find a way to make everyone happy.

Why not contact the Club in which the trail falls in their jurisdiction and ask to have a sign posted there or offer to install one yourself on their behalf?

Archived