Sled ownership

Boooya

Hey searched the forum and couldnt really come up with anything so a little advise would be helpful.

I just recently bought a hut runner '86 everest, Older gentleman lost ownership or just never cared for it.

Its use will be just to run back and forth across the lake. Will not be ridden on any trails, (roads about 20 feet from my house is the lake, small side street).

Im pretty sure I need insurance but do i need an ownership and do i need my yearly sticker?

If I need it in my name can I get this done at the MTO with just the bill of sale he provided me?

Thanks in advance

Three years ago I bought an old Elan from a man who never had the ownership, and who had previously purchased the sled from a fellow who had lost the ownership.

When I went to register the sled, the lady at the licence office accepted a hand scrawled bill of sale, along with a note written by the guy who sold to me, in which he stated that the ownership had been lost by a previous owner.

I was issued a new ownership on the spot.

I have a 69 nordic which I got some years back. I never did get a bill of sale but I do have an ownership that was in the farmers brothers name way back when. So, if I wanted to get an ownership in my name, would the mto give me one?? Both the brothers are since passed on.

I have a 69 nordic which I got some years back. I never did get a bill of sale but I do have an ownership that was in the farmers brothers name way back when. So, if I wanted to get an ownership in my name, would the mto give me one?? Both the brothers are since passed on.

Yup, I did it about 10 years ago with my old 72 TNT I use to have, but I didn't even have a ownership. Went to the MTO office told them the truth, was my uncle's he gave it to me to fix up and ride. Took a picture of the name plate with VIN, they pulled it up, was not reported stolen and no liens against it, and hadn't had a sticker in years. When they ran the VIN it wasn't in my uncle's name (and he had it 20 years) was some other guy I never knew of. But because of the age,  and its clean history they printed me a new ownership in my name no issues. I had  to sign some extra paperwork to say if I was lying this could be used against me in court.

I had the misfortune of unknowingly purchasing a stolen motorcycle once with no ownership.  I had checked the VIN with MTO but mistook a half punched "8" for a three in the dark shed so all looked good until reading the number in the light.  I had to get a signed letter from the previous legal owner and then they transferred it to my name.  Luckily the previous owner was easy to find, still lived at the same address and was glad the bike re-surfaced but didn't want it back.  He even stopped by the house to have a look.

Well that was a no go :(

Tried two different locations and same answer.

I must buy a used vehicle package $20 then track down the original owner and convince them to go to the mto and get the ownership in there name $10, then get ownership from the original owner and transfer into my own name $20.

I am 3rd owner of the sled from the original registered owner, what are the odds they will go wait in line for an ownership from a sled they sold 7 years ago.........

This sucks........

I just want to go ice fishing lol

I must buy a used vehicle package $20 then track down the original owner and convince them to go to the mto and get the ownership in there name $10, then get ownership from the original owner and transfer into my own name $20.

I am 3rd owner of the sled from the original registered owner, what are the odds they will go wait in line for an ownership from a sled they sold 7 years ago.........

This sucks........

Try a different MTO office... they are independently operated, kind of like a franchise. My mom passed away and my brother wanted her car. The lawyer told us which MTO offices to avoid and which would not put us through the wringer in the Wasaga Beach area

Try one out of Barrie. Small town ones are probably a better idea (more than likely had folks doing the same thing in the past).

In 2011 when I was moving I was transferring my licence & ownerships @ the Lakefield Chamber of Commerce (licencing office) there was a guy trying to register an old sled that he had bought in a "basket" (w/ a hand scrawled bill of sale) & restored. He had attempted to register it @ the Service Ontario counter in Bancroft. The counter person up there said "nyet". The woman in Lakefield was explaining to the process & that it could be done. Unfortunately I don't recall the details.

Do you know any guys in the area that restore old sleds? I imagine they run into the same situation. They may even suggest an office that may be more helpful.

When I purchased an old sled years ago, without ownership. I ran into the same thing.  Even worse, the serial number tag had been riveted to the sled and was lost.  I only had the bill of sale from the guy I bought it from.  I was instructed to swear an affidavit and have it notarized.  Once I had this, it was a piece of cake.  This was probably in the mid 90's so things may have changed.

I don't think the used vehicle package even applies to sleds, does it?

Good luck. 

Can you get the previous owner to say he lost it to get a new one to transfer into you name?

This sucks........

goverment are such crooks,ding you for this ding u for that,unbelievable................

Just the thought that every god damn time a sled is sold,they charge 13 %tax,each and every time....thats Bullchit....it should be illegal.makes me sick to my stomach..rob,rob,rob the common man....over and over...........can you imagine the income from such a devious plan.......and we wonder why theirs a goverment surplus..........sorry for the rant.....actually NO IM NOT! :angry-smiley-005:

i just heard jim flaherty say the other day that the federal surplus is much higher than they thought?

http://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCABRE9AB13P20131112

i know this is federal,not provincial,who cares same difference

i just heard jim flaherty say the other day that the federal surplus is much higher than they thought?

http://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCABRE9AB13P20131112

i know this is federal,not provincial,who cares same difference

His definition of surplus is just less of a negative than expected!

We give our hard earned money to these clowns to spend foolishly!

This sucks........

I was afraid you might run into problems. It would seem that no two offices are the same. I had a woman in our local office tell me that I had to hire a lawyer to track down all the previous owners of a 77 Olympique. Instead, I drove 15 minutes to the next office and had an ownership in about 5 minutes.

I've sold sleds, but never bought a used one. The apprentice @ the local garage is always buying & selling sleds. I've never heard him mention it.

Just another example of lousy customer service.

Can anyone recommend an office near the Barrie area where I may have more luck?

This really sucks, just want to get the kids out fishing but don't want to risk gettin a fine.

Try Elmvale... friend had great luck getting an RV registered. We also had good success getting Moms car transferred to my brother even though it was from her estate. I was told to stay away from Stayner.

When I purchased an old sled years ago, without ownership. I ran into the same thing.  Even worse, the serial number tag had been riveted to the sled and was lost.  I only had the bill of sale from the guy I bought it from.  I was instructed to swear an affidavit and have it notarized.  Once I had this, it was a piece of cake.  This was probably in the mid 90's so things may have changed.

Good luck. 

it does not apply to sleds

Archived