Haliburton Top B Trail

No idea. I'm guessing not too many. Lots getting paid, like admin and groomers and mechanic. Last year they also paid a groomer co-ordinator but he's gone this year. They might be paying other positions also but I'm no longer with the club so I don't know what other positions they're paying for.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea. I'm guessing not too many. Lots getting paid, like admin and groomers and mechanic. Last year they also paid a groomer co-ordinator but he's gone this year. They might be paying

other positions also but I'm no longer with the

club so I don't know what other positions they're

paying for.

I see! Lots of info there. Getting kind of scary If you ask me!

There are a few really good volunteers doing their best at the club still but I think their hands are tied a bit. Liz and her partners doing the signage did a fantastic job the past couple of years. The fundraisers are still hard at it but are likely getting tired and need some help as that's part of the reason the Poker run was cancelled.... no help. Unfortunately I think they got a little overwhelmed with the FFC now and don't have the information and knowledge needed to set a budget. Still paying for groomer operators, mechanic, and admin last I heard.  With their permit sales being down again the belt needs to be tightened again and some trail rationalization needs to take place. It would take some dedication but the club can be rebuilt to be the showcase it used to be. A little shy of getting involved again as it takes such a toll on personal life but willing to help a bit as a volunteer in future if need be to keep the club alive.

Went for a short ride today. Rail trail was getting a good dumping of snow and will benefit from grooming tonight before it freezes solid. Trail 7 was in really good shape but of course Kash was drifting a bit and rough from the slush earlier this week same as Head Lake in town. B103 a little rough north of Head Lake but smoothed out once past the clubhouse/dump where the groomer comes out. Hopefully they will take advantage of the nice snowfall today and pack it all down tonight.

So, jrhz06, are you telling us that tens of thousands of dollars in permit money is now going to wages at the HCSA, where a few short years ago, just about every position was held by a volunteer, and the money ended up on the actual trail system ? Sounds like the lunatics are running the asylum. People that enjoy the aroma of two-stroke smoke should be running all aspects of the club. Yea, O.K., the odd for-stroker too. 

Is there a detailed year end fiscal report available for HCSA with full accounting of revenues and spending?

Is there a detailed year end fiscal report available for HCSA with full accounting of revenues and spending?

I doubt it, there accountant quit! If this all gets out, they won't sell many trail permits next winter.

There is always a year end report done, Operations Report. I believe that as a non for profit the records have to be available for members to see along with meeting minutes at any point in the year. The minutes have to be posted in the club house along with records of motions etc. General meetings used to be open to all members to allow for questions etc. Not sure if they are still but I think so. It's interesting to see how the meeting is run now......

I doubt it, there accountant quit! If this all gets out, they won't sell many trail permits next winter.

Time to start getting ready for the spring general membership meeting.

If this gets out???  What does that mean??  They are losing a lot of respect from almost all riders i have spoken to.  People are complaining at restaurants, gas stations.  Like many others have posted some of the board members or people that are suppose to be in charge of this club should be on this forum reading what people are saying.  Right now there seems to be some major problems.  I am not sure what needs to be done, but i know that i will be calling and emailing the OFSC and asking what the problem seems to be and how we can get this resolved.  

I see poker run is cancelled too, because chair person resigned. The bad news keeps on coming!

Contacting the OFSC isn't going to achieve a lot. They would send the email to the President for a response but other than that, they don't get involved to any extent. The District does have control of more funds this year from permit sales etc and can likely help work something out with the club but that's not a good answer either. Members need to get involved at the club meetings and get some board members to stand up and let the Pres know that decisions are made by the board and he shouldn't even have a vote.

Hmmmm... How do you spell "Forensic Audit" ?

I can't complain about the club as I am just a cottager and cannot help out. That's puzzling though about the wages, I thought all the clubs were volunteers only. Oh well, hopefully it gets turned around.

I can't complain about the club as I am just a cottager and cannot help out. That's puzzling though about the wages, I thought all the clubs were volunteers only. Oh well, hopefully it gets turned around.

Allot of clubs pay for certain things, especially grooming! Can't just put anyone in a groomer and expect a great trail and equipment is worth allot of money. Takes allot of skill and to keep operators around some clubs are paying them.

We switched to paid operators years ago it saved us huge on groomer repairs

We switched to paid operators years ago it saved us huge on groomer repairs

Makes a lot of sense. Just wondering though, what other positions / people are on your club's payroll? Be good to compare club operations, etc.

Thanks Wildbill.

At the PSSD / OFSC D10 level there is a paid administrator and a part time bookkeeper. There is no option to this it is just too much work.

Are those expenses are shared by several clubs?

There are a few really good volunteers doing their best at the club still but I think their hands are tied a bit. Liz and her partners doing the signage did a fantastic job the past couple of years. The fundraisers are still hard at it but are likely getting tired and need some help as that's part of the reason the Poker run was cancelled.... no help. Unfortunately I think they got a little overwhelmed with the FFC now and don't have the information and knowledge needed to set a budget. Still paying for groomer operators, mechanic, and admin last I heard.  With their permit sales being down again the belt needs to be tightened again and some trail rationalization needs to take place. It would take some dedication but the club can be rebuilt to be the showcase it used to be. A little shy of getting involved again as it takes such a toll on personal life but willing to help a bit as a volunteer in future if need be to keep the club alive.

Went for a short ride today. Rail trail was getting a good dumping of snow and will benefit from grooming tonight before it freezes solid. Trail 7 was in really good shape but of course Kash was drifting a bit and rough from the slush earlier this week same as Head Lake in town. B103 a little rough north of Head Lake but smoothed out once past the clubhouse/dump where the groomer comes out. Hopefully they will take advantage of the nice snowfall today and pack it all down tonight.

they will only groom that trail if it fits into their schedule.   This is the biggest reason why HCSA has the WORST maintained trails in the region.  There are good, better, and best times to groom and Haliburton never seems to look at it that way.  This is exceptionally important in the early season when building a base.

the fact the president can't tell you when or where they are grooming is a massive red flag that the organization is run like a beaurocracy, and it WILL fail if it continues like this.

focus on what a snowmobile club needs to focus on:  buildilng and maintaining trails, and scrap the political BS.

Hi Canadoo, I did well over 450k on local trails this past weekend and thought them all pretty good. Not just HCSA trails but neighboring clubs as well.

As to the President not knowing the grooming schedule, HE personally put a CURRENT groomer schedule in MY hand YESTERDAY. Please read my post earlier today where I stated that

thanks

LIVIN'

Hi Canadoo, I did well over 450k on local trails this past weekend and thought them all pretty good. Not just HCSA trails but neighboring clubs as well.

As to the President not knowing the grooming schedule, HE personally put a CURRENT groomer schedule in MY hand YESTERDAY. Please read my post earlier today where I stated that

thanks

LIVIN'

Livin,  With all due respect the issues with trail conditions at HCSA have been going on for over a decade (and longer) while neighboring clubs have been getting better.   I have had some great rides in HCSA for nearly 3 decades as well, but by and large the trail conditions are much worse than neighboring clubs - this is the opinion of nearly EVERY single sledder who has spent time in the area, not just mine.   I'd hazard a guess that you couldn't find 1 who would disagree with me on that.   The excuses are plenty, I know all of them; rocks, landowners, swamps - EVERY club deals with these issues, they are excuses.     More time needs to be spent in the off season building better trails, something that has happenned I know, but not enough.  HCSA is losing permit buyers because of the on going poor quality trails, esspecially compared to neighboring clubs so don't take my post for anyting but an opinion - take a look at your permit sales, it paints a pretty good picture.

This is no hidden secret and it will take some time to ditch that stigma - 1 weekend isn't going to do it, sorry.

I know what it takes to groom and build quality trails and in the past HCSA doesn't seem to get it.  I have talked to Joachim in the past and he didn't know exactly what had been groomed or when....   things may be changing so thats good..    You may have missed my point about a grooming "schedule" though - it doesn't build the best trails,  trails need to be packed and groomed at certain temperatures and after snow falls in order to build the best trail, so having a set schedule will NOT work to create the best trails OR maximize your grooming budget.  

This is great the club is stepping up its communication, but know you will get a lot of people, and many not nearly as polite as I am, who have complaints about HCSA - and like I said it could date back DECADES.     Dont' take it personally, its not about you.   I didn't ride HCSA trails this past weekend, myself and many others who can will try to avoid the HCSA trails because of the poor hisory of trail quality, at the expense of some quality rides I'm sure, but the bumps we've had to endure over the years are worth missing out on HCSA.  However, I did come down the sherborne rd (64) on Sunday and noticed there was yellow tape for the entrance to Y16???  No trail closed sign, nothing on the webiste, facebook or OFSC site I could find, maybe  a prank???.    The B trail was closed on the Map over the weekend all the way from Carnarvon to trail 11 - a HUGE oversight as the RAP tour link was effectively closed - HCSA portion the ONLY closed portion of the most popular loop in Ontario.  This interactive guide is becoming very important to sledders planning trips and I'm sure many changed their plans when they saw that red on the map.   

I wish nothing but the best to HCSA, I made my home in the area for many years, and love riding there when the conditions are good.  You have your work cut out for you just to ditch the negative impression so many sledders have of haliburton trails.  Like I said, lose the politics and focus on the trails.  good luck!

I used to buy 2 trail passes a year from the HCSA, until this year i moved my support to tall pines.  I was not going to last year but thought maybe things would change boy was i wrong.  We had a group of friends up to the HCSA trails and they rented a place for family day weekend which instantly means inflated prices.  They were so disappointed in the conditions they said that they were not sure they would come back to the area.  As Canadoo said all clubs in the area have hills rocks rough terrain so on and so on and any other excuse that the president can come up with, but they seem to get there trails open early and maintain them properly and update the website.  If these trails are so hard to maintain and get open maybe its time to reconsider re routes of some of these trails.  As far as the schedule of the groomer anyone that sleds in the area a lot knows that most grooming is done during the week.  There have been so many weekends where parts of the trail have gone ungroomed .  There are parts of the trail that did not even get groomed last year WTF!!!!  Joachim needs to get his s#%$ together or get out and run his own business!!!  Enough is enough!!!  Get someone who truly cares  and actually has a clue as to what is going on.  Again When these trails were good they were good now they are just bad.  Like almost everyone on here seems to be talking about is people are avoiding these trails at all costs.  I for one get up to other clubs trails every chance i get as i am sick of excuses and rough trails.

Man! This is getting really old. Hope something changed for the better in this area.

Archived