Between a rock and a hard place

ToSlow

well i've got a decision to make. as i'm being shipped to edmonton for 3 mths training. leaving on jan 6th till the end of march.

i'm really debating to ship my sled or just call it a season. or buy a sled there and sell it before i come back to ontario.

FML

DSCI05752_zpsa12a4f66.jpg

Thats good then you will be back in time for the Cochrane in April

How much would it cost to ship your sled?  If it was around 500$ I would probably pay it. Better to have your own sled then buy a beater for 1500$ and hope it doesn't break down or get damaged and then sell it for 200$ or have to put lots of repair $$$ into it. Edmonton has a great season I would probably take your sled if it was me. 

Another option: I have heard of people loading there sleds on an empty flat bad or tractor trailer. The truck drivers love it as it gets them money on an empty load. That would probably only cost you around $200. 

well i've got a decision to make. as i'm being shipped to edmonton for 3 mths training. leaving on jan 6th till the end of march.

i'm really debating to ship my sled or just call it a season. or buy a sled there and sell it before i come back to ontario.

FML

whats fml

there are A TON of AWESOME sleds in the west at crazy sweet prices

the idea of loading your stuff in empty b trains is a real good option just takes some scheduling

what are you getting trained for

good luck

I work in trucking as an ops manager. I can tell you that a good carrier should charge about $600-$700 fully insured to Edmonton. As I'm doing this on mobile I can't see where you are from. But out if the gta call bison or manitoulin transport for a quote and be aware that you would need to either pay for or create your own skid to ship this on as the only way to ship/load it.

whats fml

there are A TON of AWESOME sleds in the west at crazy sweet prices

the idea of loading your stuff in empty b trains is a real good option just takes some scheduling

what are you getting trained for

good luck

f my life is fml, im getting trained on fuller and clark transmissions, for rubber tire earth movers

f my life is fml, im getting trained on fuller and clark transmissions, for rubber tire earth movers

Thats some cool Sh!t!

Ride it out and ship it back.

FML

I was talking to a couple of guys out there and there is a decent amount of snow down out there in the Edmonton area. They don't have the trail system like ontario but you can go just about anywhere. You can ride along hwy 28 for almost ever

Whatever you do don't ride a short track sled out there. It is all mountain sleds in AB. Trust me I got made fun of because I had the only short track sled in AB in 2011....lol

One year in Kap' we saw an eastboard lumber transport on Hwy 11 w/ a mountain sled on top of the load.

I'd probably show up with or purchase a sled and a trailer. Edmonton is only an hour and a half away from Whitecourt and from there you have 300 or so kilometers of trails. Other areas around the province also have  trail systems.

http://altasnowmobile.ab.ca/trails-and-clubs/

You have an opportunity to trailer over to B.C. or a couple of day's drive (weather permitting) up to Whitehorse, Yukon, for riding up there. Saskatchewan also has that province divided into four major sledding trail systems.

There is a good 24 hour access storage / parking facility in Spruce Grove. No provincial sales tax in Alberta, although wouldn't expect any deals on new machines - lots of money floating around - but maybe good deals on used ones.

I would just rent! You are going to be busy training anyways!

FML

The money you will be making out there would be more than enough to buy a newer sled out there and ship it back then your done.

My son just returned from Cold Lake this week.  There is lots of snow and over 2 feet in Edmonton.  He says there is snow from Calgary and Edmonton and they have been riding out there for People have been riding for over 5 weeks.  Edmonton has been hit hard with snow.  They ended up in the ditch on there way to Edmonton this week.  He says definitely take your sled.

I took a short track sled with me,and had no issues,even went to McBride late in the season,,,Having a sled means you need storage,trailor/truck,how much free time will you have,just weekends or?? I agree with Bill,rent,Mcbride is a short 5/6 hours from Edmonton,rent a sled and ride the mountains,Swan hill is a good place to ride,but you have to have a buddy there for sure,it is cold,and you are a long way from anything...

PIC14443_zps925403d4.jpg

PIC14449_zps7b089858.jpg

PIC14453_zpsf7fc2a6f.jpg

PIC14476_zps900ee2ad.jpg

PIC14499_zps5331c6c6.jpg

Archived