Orillia

mikerx

don't believe there is enough snow that way...

say limited, but there is a bit of road running and there wont be any snow-covered roads. I would go somewhere else more east, maybe haliburton.

When I stayed there about 4 years ago it was good. Clean, everything worked and reasonably priced. Gas next door, trail right across the road and sled friendly owners. McKecks is good spot and not too far away.

Anyone stayed at the Silver Maple motel? Any good restaurants or bars close by for after sledding??

Go up to Whitney if the trails are good enough. Go through Algonquin park. Be there before 6 though for gas and before 3 on sundays for gas. There is a restaurant called the mad-musher. Or you can go to bancroft.

• 2 months later...

Sorry I can't be more help but always had a hell of a time in Orillia! Never had good luck up there. 

Anyone stayed at the Silver Maple motel? Any good restaurants or bars close by for after sledding??

Lots of sleds in there, whenever I go by ehen traiks are Open. Amercians always seem to stay

there too. They have a small restaurant too, on the end of the motel now. Food is pricey but decent. I like the chinesse place near the donut shop.

Sorry I can't be more help but always had a hell of a time in Orillia! Never had good luck up there. 

The Orillia club has made great strides in the past few years.

My only issue in that area is the 'mess' at Hwy 400 and 12. Many of us recall the ease of going through the tunnel to the Highwayman Inn. Walmart (old location) screwed that up; new homes to the west also forced us to go around. Not sure if it's legal, but see many scraping across the hwy 12 bridge, over Hwy 400. Seems like the easiest way to get across to the Highwayman Inn side of things.

The Orillia club has made great strides in the past few years.

My only issue in that area is the 'mess' at Hwy 400 and 12. Many of us recall the ease of going through the tunnel to the Highwayman Inn. Walmart (old location) screwed that up; new homes to the west also forced us to go around. Not sure if it's legal, but see many scraping across the hwy 12 bridge, over Hwy 400. Seems like the easiest way to get across to the Highwayman Inn side of things.

that is a kluster-f... of a area now...new OPP along by-pass has that trail in more jeapordy...hi-wayman inn was good place to stay in orillia with trail to door....hope they can keep it open

I have stayed at the Comfort Inn at Memorial and Hwy 12.  Convenient to trails and restaurants.

I have stayed at the Comfort Inn at Memorial and Hwy 12.  Convenient to trails and restaurants.

that is a good place too,timmies,arbys,harveys & kelsy resturant all with in walkin distance...hy-waymann inn has pool & rest\bar with liquor store across rd...gas is abit of a problem intown....c-tire is easiest with least pavement scratch

that is a good place too,timmies,arbys,harveys & kelsy resturant all with in walkin distance...hy-waymann inn has pool & rest\bar with liquor store across rd...gas is abit of a problem intown....c-tire is easiest with least pavement scratch

and then you can stop by chateau WD on your way down the rail line towards barrie to say hello. Orillia did a good job grooming last season and I'm very grateful.

Orillia is a great spot to ride from. You can ride in any direction on the compass and have a great day. In fact, many of my rides start from orillia.

• 2 months later...

Scary!  Sounds close to Housey's Rapids.  Dangerous territory, especially for sheep!!

When simcoe freezes it opens up your options to get to orillia. You can ride from lagoon city or even here in pefferlaw, staying on the lake at the peninsula resort.

Archived