MSVA Amendment Need to Stop Freeloaders

bbakernbay

most volounteers Trail patrollers are old and sure not so smart phone app savy

Lots of young blood around here.

Lots of young blood around here.

and your point?

I agree that $1,000 Minimum Fine may just be the quickest and easiest way to get started next year.

trail Permits may cost less but don't get caught on the Trail without one or else you're $1,000 poorer.

That's what they did with insurance years back. When the fine was only $500 I know lots of guys with bikes that never had insurance. As soon as it went to a $5000 fine, a lot more people got coverage. Still not everyone but better than it was.

A three or seven day pass is not valid unless the dates are written on the pass anyways. There is no need for them to,be scannable. Trail Patrol has the right to write in the dates if the pass is blank.

Any smart phone can do the scan with an app. Most people have them now.

And a LOT of areas do not have reception. A regular annoyance when trying to use the iSnowmobile App.

I would say lots of people have them but not most. Lots of people still use a plain old cell phone since they don't need all these wonderful apps that will tell them who has the best deal on a pair of jeans or any of the other unnecessary toys.

Port Perry club I believe.

Somebody from that club needs to have a chat with the local OPP.

I doubt that story very much must of been somewhere else, we don't have OPP on sleds here, DRPS has it's own sled and ATV enforcement, they don't get as much I'd like to see them out but when they do they are zero tolerance for everything, same for our local STOP guys when they do get out.

Best number I could find was from the summer but there is 24.6million active cellphones in Canada. And of that only 46% of those are smartphones. There is 34.7million people in Canada. And a lot of people like my wife carry 2, Blackberry for work, iPhone for herself.

Best number I could find was from the summer but there is 24.6million active cellphones in Canada. And of that only 46% of those are

smartphones. There is 34.7million people in

Canada. And a lot of people like my wife carry

2, Blackberry for work, iPhone for herself.

Most snowmobilers have smart phones though.

Most snowmobilers have smart phones though.

According to who... do you have metrics to support that? Most of the people I know have cell phones not smart phones. Those who do have they are company supplied Blackberry which are often restricted as to what they can do. They don't want you spending their money on where to get the best price on a pair of jeans or what restaurants have on their menu. Most of the people I know simply want a cell phone and really don't need to tweet what they had for breakfast.

What about no service either. There are dead zones even just outside Haliburton. On the run to Whitney there are huge dead zones.

That would really help. Ofsc needs to allow 3 and 7 day permits to be printed off at home. With the barcode technology, trail patrol can scan them and verify they are legit and in date. Then there will be no excuse for not riding without a permit.

And what is to stop someone from making multiple copies of the same permit and putting it on multiple sleds. Yes you can scan and read a bar code with a lot of technology but then you need to connect to a server to validate if it's real since just about anybody can print a bar code onto a document. I print a piece of paper with the proper dates and have it assigned to a Cat Jag Z1 according to the bar code. I print and substitute my own bar code for a Skidoo Legend 1000 and now have one for another sled and so on and so on.

It's not like an event ticket where it is scanned once and then invalidated immediately to the database on the server.

What about no service either. There are dead zones even just outside Haliburton. On the run to Whitney there are huge dead zones.

No kidding!! That is the biggest hole in this plan!

Why can't a photo of the Val Tags be enough to charge the OWNER of the sled with Tresspassing?

NO PERMIT you get charged PERIOD, just like Photo Radar, it should be cut and dry!

If the 407 can screw you over from Spain becaue you used THEIR highway that WE BUILT then I am sure we can lobby to get the same type of power with tresspassing!

If the 407 can screw you over from Spain becaue you used THEIR highway that WE BUILT then I am sure we can lobby to get the same type of power with tresspassing!

Montreal not Spain anymore. SNC Lavalin owns most of the 407 now, that and the teachers pension plan.

I agree that $1,000 Minimum Fine may just be the quickest and easiest way to get started next year.

trail Permits may cost less but don't get caught on the Trail without one or else you're $1,000 poorer.

I agree 100% with this. I also feel the names of the freeloaders should be published, in various newspapers. They print the names of thieves don't they?

I agree 100% with this. I also feel the names of the freeloaders should be published, in various newspapers. They print the names of thieves

don't they?

No news is going to print 1000 names a week.

Where do you get that from?

his usual sources :)

I agree 100% with this. I also feel the names of the freeloaders should be published, in various newspapers. They print the names of thieves don't they?

Or take those pictures and have a section on the OFSC website to post the pictures of those caught without permits and where. As for lobby for change in the penalty. After we convince our club and our district then we go to the AGM for a vote in the fall but then there is a huge discussion about what the penalty should be then they set up a committee to report back the next year then we vote and then we start to lobby for the change in penalty then it gets implemented the next season. So here it is 2012/2013 season. Conceivably we could start to lobby the province as early as the 2013/2014 season and have it in place for the 2014/2015 season but most likely the earliest would be the 2015/2016 season.

We move to make change WAY TOO SLOWLY. By 2016 perhaps the penalty needs to be even more than what we recommended 3 years ago and we have had 3 years of know real deterant.

Or take those pictures and have a section on the OFSC website to post the pictures of those caught without permits and where. As for lobby for change in the penalty. After we convince our club and our district then we go to the AGM for a vote in the fall but then there is a huge discussion about what the penalty should be then they set up a committee to report back the next year then we vote and then we start to lobby for the change in penalty then it gets implemented the next season. So here it is 2012/2013 season. Conceivably we could start to lobby the province as early as the 2013/2014 season and have it in place for the 2014/2015 season but most likely the earliest would be the 2015/2016 season.

We move to make change WAY TOO SLOWLY. By 2016 perhaps the penalty needs to be even more than what we recommended 3 years ago and we have had 3 years of know real deterant.

but we have to start sometime

but we have to start sometime

You're absolutely right Bill. I just wish we could become more agile and responsive to the changing needs of the riders. Unclutter and simplify the process. Each club seems to have at least one means of getting online. Perhaps mid season online votes to become more proactive than reactive.

The OFSC Executive can get this going now.

President Brenda explained at our District meeting that it can be handled administratively by the MTO without going through Legislature.

We need higher minimum penalty in place for next October.

BB

From today's K-W Record. We need more blitzes like this:

360 snowmobiles stopped in spot checks northwest of Waterloo

View Larger Map

WELLESLEY — Police stopped 360 snowmobiles Saturday and Sunday on trails in the area of Hutchison Road in Wellesley Township.

Ten charges were laid under the Ontario Motorized Snow Vehicles Act, for issues like not having valid trail permits or insurance. Waterloo Regional Police also report 15 snowmobiles were removed from the trails.

Another 60 warnings were issued to riders for minor infractions, police say.

Archived