mgooding

I know District 16 did not sell enough trail passes, so they canned the district. Why are people not using the trails? Are there other trails in the district. Can they use logging roads? Any information would be good, as I will have a relative in that area next winter and I am hoping to ride.

Get a long track, pull a sled with lots of fuel and take a chain saw. Watch out for areas which have water crossings and rugged stuff made easy by groomers in the past. Don't ride alone and carry a SPOT.

I know District 16 did not sell enough trail passes, so they canned the district. Why are people not using the trails? Are there other trails in the district. Can they use logging roads? Any information would be good, as I will have a relative in that area next winter and I am hoping to ride.

Because the trails are closed and the signage has been pulled.

Because the trails are closed and the signage has been pulled.

I meant why are people not buying trail passes for that district. Obviously there wont be signage if they are not OFSC

I meant why are people not buying trail passes for that district. Obviously there wont be signage if they are not OFSC

Why buy a pass, when you can ride for free on the long weekend. Seriously locals didn't buy permits, so the clubs couldn't meet ofsc miniums and valua trails closed. Ofsc has been even removing bridges it spent tens of thousands to build. This is why I disagree with the free weekend pass.

Why buy a pass, when you can ride for free on the long weekend. Seriously locals didn't buy permits, so the clubs couldn't meet ofsc miniums and valua trails closed. Ofsc has been even removing bridges it spent tens of thousands to build. This is why I disagree with the free weekend pass.

It is a great way to introduce snowmobilers. If I had no idea about the trails and bought a 10 year old sled. I wouldnt want to put up $210 for something I do not know about. They do still have to have insurance tho, which I guess they have been paying for. But then I do agree that there are a lot of people I saw with the free weekend pass. It is a tough decision.

The region's main economic driver was Forestry, which was hit by the resession about 5-6 years before the rest of the province did. Mills closed, High paying jobs were lost,and lots of people just left for greener pastures. Not enough folks left with the cash and/or the interest to participate in this aspect of the sport. There is plenty of pipeline running, old roads and that sort of thing, but as alluded to, no maintenance, so you never know whats around the corner. Lots of the old infrastructure (signs, bridges, etc.) is still there, but has not been maintained for a few years. Personally, I now just use my sleds to go to camp, go fishing and sometimes go hunting, if the snow comes early enough in the fall. Depending on where your relative is moving to, there is potentially lots of riding, just maybe not what you're used to.

BP

really, what bridges have we removed?

The region's main economic driver was Forestry, which was hit by the resession about 5-6 years before the rest of the province did. Mills closed, High paying jobs were lost,and lots of people just left for greener pastures. Not enough folks left with the cash and/or the interest to participate in this aspect of the sport. There is plenty of pipeline running, old roads and that sort of thing, but as alluded to, no maintenance, so you never know whats around the corner. Lots of the old infrastructure (signs, bridges, etc.) is still there, but has not been maintained for a few years. Personally, I now just use my sleds to go to camp, go fishing and sometimes go hunting, if the snow comes early enough in the fall. Depending on where your relative is moving to, there is potentially lots of riding, just maybe not what you're used to.

BP

hey BP, good to see you hangin around, have u got much snow up there?

really, what bridges have we removed?

If I remember correctly from an older post, every bridge that could easily be pulled up, was...

@ Wildman. Still hanging in there. Winter was very slow in getting here and staying this year. I was only able to get the switchback out for the first real run this past (family day) weekend. We've got about 3 feet or so now, most of it falling in one fell swoop this past week. I've got a couple of runs planned for the next couple of weekends. Thanks for asking!

@dweese I am not aware of any bridges being pulled anywhere around here (Nipigon/Terrace Bay/Geraldton/Marathon) as a matter of fact, the MNR is quite concerned about all that infrastructure out there with no one looking after it, and wants it removed or someone else to take them over.

With the potential mining boon on the horizon, and the forest sector looking like it's struggling back to it's feet, I am hoping that the district can get back in buisness. I just hope that they don't wait too long, or the infrastructure (and perhaps even the trail beds) will be gone, and it will be next to impossible for it to be replaced.

BP

@dweese I am not aware of any bridges being pulled anywhere around here (Nipigon/Terrace Bay/Geraldton/Marathon) as a matter of fact, the MNR is quite concerned about all that infrastructure out there with no one looking after it, and wants it removed or someone else to take them over.

Here is the post from one of the other topics about the bridges. Don't know if anything has been removed as the post was from Decemeber.

But ya looks like its a plan, but nothing to support if its happening yet.

Just posted in Jan/Feb issue of Snowtech was a piece aboot the OFSC looking to pull out bridges in District 16.

The picture shows a groomer setting on the Pic River Bridge near Marathon.

Kant believe that I heard this first in a magazine as opposed to here!

???

Pulling groomers that can be used elsewhere would be understandable I guess, but bridges?

Doesn't seem to be a free download of the issue, but here is the link.

Also - Jan issue not yet posted anyway.

http://www.snowtechmagazine.com/

Ilive next to D 16 and pass in the area, As far as I know there was no bridges taken out, like Bp said the forest industry is starting to come back and there is a mining boom so D 16 might be back in a few years. The Area mayors Group are work at it, there is things in the works, ideas are being work on and there is meetings about this.

Ilive next to D 16 and pass in the area, As far as I know there was no bridges taken out, like Bp said the forest industry is starting to come back and there is a mining boom so D 16 might be back in a few years. The Area mayors Group are work at it, there is things in the works, ideas are being work on and there is meetings about this.

Good to hear, hopefully the D16 closure was only a one year thing.

If I remember correctly from an older post, every bridge that could easily be pulled up, was...

There is something that allot of people need to understand, OFSC didn't put the bridges in, the club that belongs to the federation did. Yes, there are guidelines that needed to be followed, but that is part of being a member club. The federation claims to own the bridges, but I am willing to bet they don't own any more of them then the provincial government does. If the ministry is forcing their removal, who do you think is going to remove them?.........it's the same thing as when people where saying the federation needs to look after things in D16 and keep it open, the federation doesn't supply man power, the member club has to. The fact is, there is nobody there to do it, so if the federation is laying claim to them, they are going to have to pay contractors to do the job. I don't imagine there are gonna be to many businesses up there willing to give a real good deal, do you. So there goes more money off the snow.

@ Wildman. Still hanging in there. Winter was very slow in getting here and staying this year. I was only able to get the switchback out for the first real run this past (family day) weekend. We've got about 3 feet or so now, most of it falling in one fell swoop this past week. I've got a couple of runs planned for the next couple of weekends. Thanks for asking!

With the potential mining boon on the horizon, and the forest sector looking like it's struggling back to it's feet, I am hoping that the district can get back in buisness. I just hope that they don't wait too long, or the infrastructure (and perhaps even the trail beds) will be gone, and it will be next to impossible for it to be replaced.

BP

Good to hear you have snow now.

So things are starting to look up for the forestry industry? It sure has been a long time coming, it would be great for all those sawmills to have the mothballs removed. I would imagine there will be allot of labour before they start up again.

Maybe u could post up some pics from one of ur future trips on the sled, never get tired of seeing the wonderful northern scenery.

any rumblings of ur mill starting up again Luc?

The MNR doesn't like road access into remote areas. I was reading on 1 of the Ont' hunting forums, that in the Thunder Bay area lots of roads are being decommisioned. They were removing culverts @ entry points along "main" roads.

they have removed culverts for years doesnt take long before there is a good 4x4 trail through it though will usually be about 8 feet deep . they do this alot of times to stop access to lakes or river systems that have flyin fishing camps on em. which is crap considering 90%of the money they make goes straight back to the usa

Archived