Motion sickness on a sled

Mossy

I have a question for the parents out there. Does any of your kids suffer from motion sickness on a snowmobile?

The reason I'm asking is my youngest gets bothered when he is riding as a passenger. If he is rippin' on his kitty kat he is fine. Has anyone got a simple solution? He can't take gravol either.

When I was younger I had bad motion sickness.

I still have it prety bad whenever I am not in control of the vehicle.

There are some bracelets that you can buy that apply pressure to a part of your wrist. It migt be all psycological but it seemed to help me some back in the day.

Oh I can so feel for him, not sure why it happened but for one whole sledding season I got motion sickness every time I rode. Was not fun at all and entailed at least one cab ride back to the cottage. I started taking Gravol and it helped. I also found it helped if I was leading seems the fumes maybe attributed to the feeling. Have you tried putting him on the lead sled when he rides with you?

When I was younger I had bad motion sickness.

I still have it prety bad whenever I am not in control of the vehicle.

There are some bracelets that you can buy that apply pressure to a part of your wrist. It migt be all psycological but it seemed to help me some back in the day.

I have the same issues... When I car pool at work, just something simple as looking down at my phone can make my stomach turn when I'm not n the left seat.

They do make liquid and chewable types of gravol for kids if its just an issue with getting the pill down. There is also the little patch you wear behind your ear but I'm not sure if that's ok for kids.

Not sure if it would work but maybe try an mp3 player to keep his mind off it? I recently had to go out practice driving with my son before he went for his G2- parallel park, 3 way turn, parallel park some more. I had to lay down when I got home.

Oh I can so feel for him, not sure why it happened but for one whole sledding season I got motion sickness every time I rode. Was not fun at all and entailed at least one cab ride back to the cottage. I started taking Gravol and it helped. I also found it helped if I was leading seems the fumes maybe attributed to the feeling. Have you tried putting him on the lead sled when he rides with you?

We have tried the lead sled, we tried him in front of me (wife is too short). Travel or any kind of medication is out.

I will pick up a bracelet for him today. I hope something works or my sledding days get shortened!

Some people swear by those Sea-bands that were mentioned. I think it's based on acupressure principle to reduce the ill feeling.

That's no fun! Poor guy. Hope it works.

He just gets upset. Not like a sick feeling. When I ask what is wrong he says he doesn't know. Poor kid. The worst part is he love to get out for a ride and then wham! It hits him. He says we go too fast but we don't.

Maybe although he loves the ride..he is intimidated by the bigger machine, as you mentioned he likes his Kitty Kat?

Have you tried to stop more frequently to let him settle? Or go slower and slowly add in more speed?

Might just be something he has to grow out of..phase?

Ginger is a natural way to cure motion sickness.

I once read up on it - they claim that the brain realizes the body is sedentary, but doesn't understand why there's motion around it. Logical conclusion is 'poison', so the body tries to expel the poison.

we have tried to drive as slow as possible. I might try the ginger.

As you can see on his face..... he loves his snowmobiling! He was making engine noises and yelling yeah on this trip around the back yard!

post-19768-0-36791200-1360247502_thumb.j

He just wants to drive!

I've offered!

could be, I hate to say this, bordom. I have a 10 year and he has been riding with me since 2. He used to fall asleep on the sled. If you could get another family with some young children to ride on occassion I think it might help. Let him push the throtle for a little while, use your thumb as a limiter.

could be claustrobia like issues with breathing, i had similar problems with helmets for years, when driving a sled your son probly not thinking about it, try opening breath guard and get him to breath deep and slow works for me, maybe even breathe right strip

They offer the Ginger( root) tablets down east on the fishing boats. I've seen kids take these instead of gravol.

Good luck Mossy. I know how much he loves sleds. Hopefully the bracelet or ginger solves this.

It is not fun if you don't feel good. And it is probably hard for him to verbalize what he is feeling.

could be claustrobia like issues with breathing, i had similar problems with helmets for years, when driving a sled your son probly not thinking about it, try opening breath guard and get him to breath deep and slow works for me, maybe even breathe right strip

x2 with this, I got sick as a dog while riding twice with a new helmet, lucky I was close to the house and was able to switch back to my old helmet, tried it twice to make sure, wasn't sure if it was the air intake or some chemical in the helmet, A Dr friend mentioned a chemical called Phenol as a possible culprit, it's used widely in car dash boards and interior panels and in many other man made things, certain levels of absorption cause different reactions in some people, nausea, light headed and confused feels being big ones. I can't sit in a car or truck without a window being down to let fresh air in, could be that I'm diluting the Phenol fumes ?

Make sure it is not the exhaust. Running in the back of a pack of 2 strokes can make me sick. Try riding a trail that runs 90° to a steady wind and make sure it is not getting up into a fully closed helmet. Try cracking the sheild. That should rule out the exhaust.

Some people swear by those Sea-bands that were mentioned. I think it's based on acupressure principle to reduce the ill feeling.

That's no fun! Poor guy. Hope it works.

The wrist band worked for my wife. We were on a cruise and our cabin was right at the bow of the ship. We pitched a fair bit the first night and when she woke up she wasn't doing well. Got her one of the wrist bands and she was fine the rest of the cruise.

x2 with this, I got sick as a dog while riding twice with a new helmet, lucky I was close to the house and was able to switch back to my old helmet, tried it twice to make sure, wasn't sure if it was the air intake or some chemical in the helmet, A Dr friend mentioned a chemical called Phenol as a possible culprit, it's used widely in car dash boards and interior panels and in many other man made things, certain levels of absorption cause different reactions in some people, nausea, light headed and confused feels being big ones. I can't sit in a car or truck without a window being down to let fresh air in, could be that I'm diluting the Phenol fumes ?

Mossy did mention he was fine while on his little kitty kat sled..it was while riding up front with his Dad.

The wrist band worked for my wife. We were on a cruise and our cabin was right at the bow of the ship. We pitched a fair bit the first night and when she woke up she wasn't doing well. Got her one of the wrist bands and she was fine the rest of the cruise.

Awesome...so they do work! Good to know.

Motion sickness can be caused when your peripheral vision sees motion but your straight ahead vision sees stationary items.

This can happen when a car passenger reads a book for example. I could see him getting sick as a passenger when sitting behind you. When he rides up front as a passenger (kid cruncher position), does he still get sick? If yes, does he look far ahead?

One cure for car passengers is to put them in the front seat and make sure they look out and forwards. Not sure what you can do on a sled.

Good luck and I hope you find what helps.

poor jake

hey kevin did you guys have a near miss or somethigy that may have startled him?

how long has it been going on?

koreen is gonna get you for calling her short

has he been having bad dreams?

hope he gets back to himself

hi sara

id be ill if i had to get off my cat to ride a polaris,,,,,,,,, :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

Archived