JRHZ06: Re Washouts:

After checking my map, the first washout is actually on "B" between B112 and Kushog Lake.

The other (big) washout is on B112 approx. 10 km outside of Minden. There is a makeshift detour around the trouble spot which takes you down the hydro line and across a good-sized, very slushy pond of unknown depth.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you.

The TOPB has significantly more snow the closer you get to Whitney. In fact a lot more. We just rode from Carnarvon to Whitney a few days ago and compared to last Winter there is at least eight to ten inches less..and last Winter was no great spectacle of snow. Simply a lot less to work with. I know the groomer that does that run is quite fussy about his work, so given some decent snow to work with conditions would be better. These are not excuses. They are facts.

I was informed by jrhz06 who was in communication with our groomer coordinator that when they groomed the area of the TOPB from Carnarvon North..it was so wet the snow was balling up and thusly was a poor job. You groom and people aren't happy and you don't groom and people aren't happy.

i have seen what the trails look like undrerneath but waiting for the trail to freeze before you groom is not going to work. And your trail report said that trail was grommed Thursday and if it was they did not do anything other than drive down the trail there was no sign of the drag at all.

I'm sorry but you can not run a groomer through that trail before its well frozen!!!! You can't even pack it properly with work sleds until its well frozen! It's 75% swamp!

This is what it looks like with little snow...

006.jpg

004.jpg

001.jpg

You want to groom that??

Haili did a great job last winter. Trails were good on family day weekend 2012. There should have been way more traffic last winter too, because south had no snow. The club defiantly needs snow to come in layers and not all at once. Tall pines gets More snow, smoother base and Less traffic. Never been on the hail system this winter. Hope to ride it again next winter.

We did see a lot of traffic last Winter. It was one of the areas that had snow and was in close proximity to the GTA.

We do need to improve the trail infrastructure. There is dozer work needed as well as new culverts, aggregate, and grading. It seems that each regime of the club has had different priorities which has excluded the trails themselves. We have six groomers, a full mechanical shop and clubhouse, ATV's, work sleds, small equipment...but it is time to invest back into the trails themselves.

Work begins the end of march with a major bridge project over the Anson creek. Ebert is delivering a new span to be installed which will improve access and trail quality overall. It will mean less of a water issue for the B112 out of Minden and enable us to open that section without the headache of the old bridge. We also have a major re route going in up at Ox Narrows for next season which will bypass the crazy hwy crossing by the restaurants and it will bring the trail out further up lake St. Nora which will be safer and a better trail.

For those that threaten to buy passes elsewhere..we will miss you and we need your permit dollars to improve things. Hopefully you'll have read why things are the way they are and understand its not for lack of trying.

Did a ride on the B from 6 to Hawk Lake then ran the lakes to 16 and headed north on 16 to 64 and 62. All these trails were in good condition today with the B being the best. There was a bit of snirt on the B, which is to be expected in March on a busy Top trail, but it is smooth and in great shape. Thanks go out to the groomers, great job.

We did see a lot of traffic last Winter. It was one of the areas that had snow and was in close proximity to the GTA.

We do need to improve the trail infrastructure. There is dozer work needed as well as new culverts, aggregate, and grading. It seems that each regime of the club has had different priorities which has excluded the trails themselves. We have six groomers, a full mechanical shop and clubhouse, ATV's, work sleds, small equipment...but it is time to invest back into the trails themselves.

Work begins the end of march with a major bridge project over the Anson creek. Ebert is delivering a new span to be installed which will improve access and trail quality overall. It will mean less of a water issue for the B112 out of Minden and enable us to open that section without the headache of the old bridge. We also have a major re route going in up at Ox Narrows for next season which will bypass the crazy hwy crossing by the restaurants and it will bring the trail out further up lake St. Nora which will be safer and a better trail.

For those that threaten to buy passes elsewhere..we will miss you and we need your permit dollars to improve things. Hopefully you'll have read why things are the way they are and understand its not for lack of trying.

We rode last Tuesday evening on the E to B to Eagle Lake (road bare) but trail up to top of Haliburton Lake was wonderful. Down Lake to #10 and then 10 was amazing, onto E then back to B was wonderful, Nice job!! Didn't meet one sled anywhere which was unbelievable and that was before 9pm!!

We don't go anywhere near the B over near Carnarvon. Rumor was that some Grant money a couple of years ago was designated to the B trail east of 35 to fix that area which has been a hazard for a number of years..... haven't seen the work done yet??? so we don't go and won't until it's fixed. Not sure how the new bridge at Anson will fix the ongoing water issues closer to Minden until culverts etc are replaced.

We don't go anywhere near the B over near Carnarvon. Rumor was that some Grant money a couple of years ago was designated to the B trail east of 35 to fix that area which has been a hazard for a number of years..... haven't seen the work done yet??? so we don't go and won't until it's fixed. Not sure how the new bridge at Anson will fix the ongoing water issues closer to Minden until culverts etc are replaced.

The grant money is being used on the B but on the re route up near Kushog at Ox Narrows where the highway crossing is dangerous. The new route will divert back into the bush prior to Ox Narrows, and run parallel with St Nora where it will emerge and cross the lake near Goat Island. Some work was done on the B, closer to Hawk lake. There was no intent at this stage of the game to do any work on the B near Carnarvon but it does need for be done. It will be a big project. Despite recent restrictions being lifted by the MNR for trail repairs, the area is sensitive and with the swamps an ecological study will likely need to be done prior to a permit being issued or even considered. Plus it's all private land in there..so I'm not sure where the landowner stands on all the work?

Glad you had a good ride though!!

Just a FYI all...Our webmaster has added the "groomed date" to our trail status page also.

Fred, We rode from Haliburton to Huntsville last week to finish our Rap Tour and we really enjoyed the time in your area..maybe next winter our paths may cross.....

Fred, We rode from Haliburton to Huntsville last week to finish our Rap Tour and we really enjoyed the time in your area..maybe next winter our paths may cross.....

Thanks Nunz...nice to hear!

When you're through here again..be sure to let me know in advance. We could meet up. Lots of good places for a quick bite.

Trails were tabletop today!

Rode the TOP B up to Hawk Lk to 16...followed the Sherbourne Lk bypass up to the Tall Pines system.. All the 60'sseries trails were excellent. Not a soul on them! As you get near Dorset things are very worn and more snirt on the trails than snow but still smooth. It's fading fast folks!!!! Lakes are still holding tight. You can tell its been a cold Winter when Indian pass is totally frozen over on Hawk Lk.

Could be one of the last banner days. Excellent Spring ride. Thanks jrhz06.

KLSC closed all trails, but the rail line north of consecion 3 to Kinmount making it limited. How are HCSA trails holding up?

We're still open. Thin in spots and where the sun hits the trails it is doing a number. Everything was just groomed. Best time to ride is early on in the day. Anytime after lunch the snow is too soft and very sketchy in the corners. Lakes are softening up big time now.

We're still open. Thin in spots and where the sun hits the trails it is doing a number. Everything was just groomed. Best time to ride is early on in the day. Anytime after lunch the snow is too soft and very sketchy in the corners.

Lakes are softening up big time now.

Think forest will hold up much longer?

60 series in Tall Pines good, today,lakes good,Sherbourne very good.

Road running is all rash.

Think forest will hold up much longer?

Pretty much the same scenario up there. With the higher elevation there is a tad more snow..but days like today's intense sun will burn off the snow fast. There is rain in the forecast for Sunday too. Not to be a downer but I think the writing is on the wall. I rode Tall Pines yesterday which is just the other side of HF and they were great in the morning but by early afternoon it was like beach sand.

Any news on the railine. May be riding on Thursday.

I can only tell you what the weather is like today as I haven't been near the Rail Trail. It was right around freezing all day and we got about 2 cm of snow. It is very wet under the snow but they're calling for a cold night and day tomorrow so it could/should get better.

Any news on the railine. May be riding on Thursday.

Keep in mind that its closed south of Boundary Road. As is KLSC 340 ( Iron Mine Rd.)... You'd have to come come across concession 3/ Boundary Rd, then north on the HCRT. Might be toast...

Maybe some easter riding this year? I don't expect it to happen, but we are only 9 days away.

post-22300-0-05615900-1363814960_thumb.jpeg

I have a feeling that this may be the last weekend here in Haliburton. Lots of snow on the trails and still snowing. Today was great. Rode B and up 16 to 64 and 68. 8-10 inches of fresh untracked powder on a good stretch of 64.

Must have just missed you. We rode B to Dorset for lunch and back through64 to Sherbourne Lk Fd and back. Missed the memo on Bakers pond. Went down Tulip Rd and back on the hwy(that's illegal you know). Wonder if you and or Fred would like to go to Harcourt for lunch tomorrow. Don't like to ride this late in season bymyself. Let me know

thanks for the update, hope to do that ride Sat.

the wolf lake trail has been my favourite this year.

Archived