Not I ...that's unfortunate for somebody for sure.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone see the burned sled along 64 heading towards kawagama?

Have to remember to screw the fuel cap back on after filling it up. Been there done that before.

How did the storm go? Rain or Snow? How much?

Couple of inches last night. Mild with a bit of drizzle today. Now its snowing again and about an inch tonight so far.

Nowhere near what was forecasted. They blew another.

That's too bad, but we didn't lose any?

No..we didn't lose much of anything. A couple inches of fresh snow overnight in fact. Not what we were supposed to get but it will help. It's heavy snow too. Should pack down well.

The B and 16 were a disgrace today from Carnarvon even after it had been groomed. Nothing but thump and bump the entire way! Was a pleasure to get onto Tall Pines trails as they are always picture perfect.

I would encourage you to share your dissatisfaction with the club President. Usually when a trail is groomed in both directions it comes up quite nice if there is decent snow, and the underlying surface is reasonable. I can't speak for the most recent grooming if in fact the trail was actually groomed in both directions or just one way.

president@hcsa.on.ca

Apparently B was groomed last night from Carnarvon to 16 and back.

Sounds like blue er eh Fred! I have seen riders wreck new ribbon in a matter of minutes.

This wasn't rider wrecked. The grooming was very poor. I rode the trail yesterday with Fred and again today. The difference before grooming and after grooming was marginal. Very bumpy.

You still cannot compare the trail bed of Tall Pines ( primarily Summer access roads, MNR fire roads and logging roads) to that of the TOP B through Carnarvon and north to 16. Where its comprised of Canadian Shield rock, swamps, deep mud, and very uneven terrain..which would be the obvious trail to come up groomed nicer? Tall Pines trails are no different than Haliburton Forest. Same elevation which is slightly higher than the rest of Haliburton therefore more snow. Wider trails as mentioned. Plus the big one..no water issues that erode trail bases and cause issues.

We have also had at least three senior groomers leave this season leaving newer unskilled groomers to look after a deep woods trail that requires a lot of finesse. It's not just about driving a tractor and drag down a trail. There is so much more to it...it's an art.

HCSA website now has daily Grooming updates added to Trail Conditions page.

HCSA website now has daily Grooming updates added to Trail Conditions page.

That's a nice addition and I'm sure helpful to those planning to ride a particular trail.

Ok so haliburton is saying that they groomed the b trail from canarvin on Thursday i would like to know how they groomed and did not show any sign of the groomer haveing done anything the snow plow banks where still the fresh snow from Wednsday was still there. In the last 14 days i have done 800 miles including going around the park and the only bad trails where haliburton. And almost everybody we met on the trip had the same thig to say everything was great untill they got to "HALIBUMP" This has apparently become the new nick name for haliburton. Just to let people know i usualy do not pick on the clubs i have been riding this area for over 20 years and the last few in haliburton have been extremely bad.

If haliburton is complaining about lower menbership they are about to loose five more menbers.

Ok so haliburton is saying that they groomed the b trail from canarvin on Thursday i would like to know how they groomed and did not show any sign of the groomer haveing done anything the snow plow banks where still the fresh snow from Wednsday was still there. In the last 14 days i have done 800 miles including going around the park and the only bad trails where haliburton. And almost everybody we met on the trip had the same thig to say everything was great untill they got to "HALIBUMP" This has apparently become the new nick name for haliburton. Just to let people know i usualy do not pick on the clubs i have been riding this area for over 20 years and the last few in haliburton have been extremely bad.

If haliburton is complaining about lower menbership they are about to loose five more menbers.

I'm not trying to make excuses as I ride these trails too and appreciate the comments. However..Haliburton did not see substantial snow until after the first week of February. When we did see snow, it has yet to be in amounts decent enough to supply depth to the trails such as the TOP B that runs from Carnarvon on up. That trail is a nightmare. It's full of ruts, from extreme water run off, swamps, rocks, and issues with freeze up. In reality the worst place for a trail. Haliburton also happens to see nearly 2000 sleds over an average weekend, so couple that with low snow, it makes it very hard to keep a bush trail decent. I will pass your comments along to the President, and when I get an opportunity I will post a couple pics of what that trail looks like under the snow to illustrate what I'm talking about.

i have seen what the trails look like undrerneath but waiting for the trail to freeze before you groom is not going to work. And your trail report said that trail was grommed Thursday and if it was they did not do anything other than drive down the trail there was no sign of the drag at all.

Fred that may be the case on that section, but what about B trail thru the park. Adequate snow with good base conditions. Seems like there are lots of excuses, but are they all valid?

We rode B112- Minden to Kushog yesterday (01 March). The trail was in fair shape, but there are two major washouts along the way. Not for the faint of heart ! I'm guessing that these washouts will be impossible to cross by the end of the weekend.

If anyone is looking for a great day ride, jump on the rail line south to B104 over to Norland. (lunch at The Riverside-excellent) and return by #340 . This loop offers perfectly groomed, challenging bush trails as well as picturesque wide trails through the Pinery. It's the way it should be.

We ran thru the HCSA on our last day of our RAP tour. TOP B was only groomed from Big Hawk Lake to the logging road. Not groomed west to OX Narrows. We ran the lakes to the east end of Redstone/HCSA 11. Then back onto TOP B to Moose Lake. TOP B is plowed @ the top of Moose Lake. Some riceburner car parked & tracks into a cottage. The trail crosses a road & you're back on trail. Where TOP B south to TOP E is on road, the road is pretty much bare. TOP E was OK east to the Miskwabi Trail jct.

I thought the website said that the trail was groomed Wed. My guess is that the snow was very wet when they groomed which as we know makes it very difficult to get a good surface. Having been groomed Wed. may explain why you saw the uncut snow banks.

Mikey, are the washouts north or south of 118?

Sounds like conditions east of whitney, Lk St Peter are better than conditions west? If so, this has been the case pretty much all winter.

Archived