Pembroke to vermillion Lake

valleycpl

Hi everyone

Newbie couple here back into snowmobiling after many years planning a three day run in Feb from east of Pembroke to vermillion Lake / Chelmsford area to visit family.Would like any info we can get regarding fuel and lodging. Not planning on running really hard and will stay in Mattawa on night one. After that night two not sure .Just want to divide our ride up into three days of enjoyable site seeing and riding. I see plenty of places to fuel between Pembroke and North bay but onward to sudbury not sure. We will be leaving on a Wednesday and travelling till Friday,then trailering back on weekend.(Preplanned with truck and trailer waiting).Thanks any info greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. That sounds like a great trip. I like the idea of having a vehicle waiting to pick you up at the end. I don't know that area well so I can't offer any advice.

Anyone have some advice???

Someone from the North Bay area will likely be more familiar with distance and places to stay. I believe once you hit North Bay area you will likely head north towards Marten River. Rock Pine Motel I think its called is right there along the trail then you'd have to head west through River Valley towards Sudbury. If Mattawa to Field is doable in a day you could check out Camp Horizon. I usually spend a week there.

Hi Again

Thanks very much ReLeaf for the response to my request and to shaunj for the info.My wife and I have decided to cancel northern ride and stay in our district.We will patronize local businesses,gas food and lodging.A little bit disappointed in the response we got. Seems to be alot of well travelled and knowledgeable sledders on here but I guess when your not in the forum click. Anyway thanks again guys happy sledding.

hi valley couple there is fuel in blind river then mattawa. i will be staying at mattawa golf n ski later this month came highly recomended. past there cant really help ya but if you look through the ofsc interactive map you can plan a trip almost anywhere.

Your probably better to wait for a bit more snow now anyways. But if you do get enough snow to go on that trip, go for it, it would be fun. I don't think you'd have any problem with gas stops or lodging along your route. Your in Pembroke are you. ( I seen the timberline in your profile )

Yes shawnj we are a bit east of Pembroke. Would definitly like to travel north but when you have never travelled that way and its just my wife and I would like to have my ducks in a row with as much information as possible then throw in the crappy weather, trail conditions water crossings etc, maybe a little over cautious but like to be prepared.

There is fuel at stone cliff on the a trail inbetween pembroke and mattawa. Open at 7am and close at 10pm. Mattawa golf and ski is a nice place to stay on the a trail. Saves running into mattawa it's self. About 210km from pembroke. Next fuel stop is lake nosbossing just off the a trail at the end of the lake. Easy to find. Could run into mattawa fill up and then head back to golf and ski for the night. This will work well too. Then you won't need to worry about fuel for awhile.

Hi Again

Thanks very much ReLeaf for the response to my request and to shaunj for the info.My wife and I have decided to cancel northern ride and stay in our district.We will patronize local businesses,gas food and lodging.A little bit disappointed in the response we got. Seems to be alot of well travelled and knowledgeable sledders on here but I guess when your not in the forum click. Anyway thanks again guys happy sledding.

A little difficult for people to be planning a trip for you, when trail conditions are so poor. Here are a few resource sites you can use for your initial planning, then ask specific questions on the forum to firm things up.

OFSC interactive map allows you to look at trails overlaid by roads, terrain, or satellite. You can click on the trails you wish to travel and another click adds the mileage for a total (in kilometers) Interestingly enough, the satellite view comes in handy as you can see how close a trail comes to a gas station or a motel. Not all accomodations / gas (few actually for now) appear on the OFSC map, so use google map to locate, then OFSC map to check trail proximity.

http://ofsc.mapbase.ca/viewer

Forum member revrnd has put together a database for accomodations by community and another database for distance between places by trail numbers. You can find them here:

http://www.sleddersworld.com/departments/ontarioDB/

For gas locations, 1 trailermaker has created a fairly new but growing site shows gas stations, hours, etc. on various trails. Go to 'find gas' for tje map at this site:

http://sledgas.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=udq75ha6tvit08glj7que56ct4

The more specific you can be with your questions, the easier they are answered.

Hello Slomo

Thank you very much for these links, will be very helpful.I think you may have misunderstood me. I did mention that from Pembroke to North Bay was not a problem and that I really only needed fuelling and one nights lodgeing between NB and Sudbury. Certainly was not wanting anyone to plan my trip for me.Thanks

Try Rock Pine for your lodging,fuel and food for your last nights stay.

A little bit disappointed in the response we got. Seems to be alot of well travelled and knowledgeable sledders on here but I guess when your not in the forum click.

Welcome to the forum, sorry your first experience wasn't ideal. This is a great community filled with people who fall over themselves to be helpful but sometimes posts get lost in the fray. :icon_tinykitball:

Glad you're here and I hope you stick around and see for yourself. Think snow! :snow-141:

Heading out Wed to do the same trip, but probably going as far as Elliot Lake.

I will report back on conditions and accomodations along the way.

Archived