Groomer fire???

FreezerBurnt

Even if a groomer travels a road for considerable distance?

Trying to figure out why ours are stickered? 180's and New Hollands..

Tractors sometimes travel more than a groomer will on the road.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I mentioned in post 44.. The OHSA does identify two types of workers. Those that are paid which are called ordinary workers and those which are voluntary workers. The act applies to both types. The only exemption that applies to voluntary workers is that they do not form a joint health and safety committee with management. Wildbill gave an excellent example in volunteer Firefighters, whereupon there are numerous sections in the OHSA that apply to firefighting and protective clothing...something that becomes very costly for small hole in the wall communities..they would rather for obvious reasons do things on the cheap but can't because of the need to train, and equip under the act. Then we get into section 21 guidance notes...another game all together.

One thing I would NOT be doing is calling the MOL asking a whole raft of questions. It might give them a new Winter project which no club needs. Just saying.

We have been thier "winter project" and have a pretty good grasp on reality. No annual MTO inspections needed on the groomers. Regular service records and daily inspections are a must. Annual training isalso a must.

I'm agreed on the honourarium naking a volunteer a 'Worker' under OHSA but the Club supplying a sledge hammer or screwgun surely doesn't make that Volunteer a 'Worker' under the Act.

You are absolutely correct. A volunteer being provided a hammer by a club is not a worker. The minute he receives compensation he is. Another thing to consider is you must provide a safe work environment at all times. That means that if you hire for example a diesel mechanic to come to your club house to work on your groomer that space must be safe to work in. If he were injured due to an unsafe situation in your clubhouse the MOL could come after you for that.

They will go anywhere for anything and sometimes as many gov't agencies do get carried away. A couple of years ago the MOL fined the MOL for having an unsafe work environment.

As I mentioned in post 44.. The OHSA does identify two types of workers. Those that are paid which are called ordinary workers and those which are voluntary workers. The act applies to both types. The only exemption that applies to voluntary workers is that they do not form a joint health and safety committee with management. Wildbill gave an excellent example in volunteer Firefighters, whereupon there are numerous sections in the OHSA that apply to firefighting and protective clothing...something that becomes very costly for small hole in the wall communities..they would rather for obvious reasons do things on the cheap but can't because of the need to train, and equip under the act. Then we get into section 21 guidance notes...another game all together.

One thing I would NOT be doing is calling the MOL asking a whole raft of questions. It might give them a new Winter project which no club needs. Just saying.

You are bang on again Fred about the two types of workers and for the most part the OHSA is very clear with words like shall = no choice you must do and may = you have a choice. But there are some areas open to interpretation. Isn't that tiny little print book a pain to read? Anyhow the interpretation I was given by an MOL inspector on the varying types of workers was that first it was put into place to cover in particular areas where there was a mixture of paid and volunteer labour. A good example being a hospital with lots of each type. The volunteers are extended the same levels of protection under the OHSA act. Then there is the ALL volunteer scenario where absolutely nobody is compensated for anything. That becomes an entire different can of worms where it may well not fall under the MOL regulations the executive of the club may be legally responsible for an injury if the site is unsafe in a civil suit and charges such as negligence causing X.

Not all locations even where everyone is paid need have a joint health and safety committee. The existance of a committee is driven by the number of employess. That does not negate in any way the employers responsibility to maintain a safe work environment or respond to employee concerns as outlined in the act.

I bet that just about every club house that has a ladder would be in violation of the OHSA and doesn't even realize it. Picture a ladder. How do you store it? Standing on its feet leaning against a wall I bet. Unless that ladder is strapped to the wall so that it can't fall over it is a violation. That or it needs to lean against the wall on it's side. Or perhaps fall arrest certification. Anyone ever more than 3 metres off the ground when working for the club. You need the fall arrest certification, about $100 course and need to be properly tethered to protect against a fall.

Some of the regs can seem absolutely anal but tend to exist because someone actually was hurt or killed. We had one person in our office circulate an email as a joke that due to the dangerous nature of staplers and some inept people actually driving staples into their fingers everyone would have their staplers collected from their desks until they underwent stapler training and signed off acknowledging their completion of the training. A lot of people actually believed it.

Good thing he wasn't on a lake at the time. Not a bad spot to burn.

If they have a commercial inspection sticker..the MTO has everything to do with them.

heavy equipment -groomers, graders, and back-hoes are not required to be licensed or inspected.

heavy equipment -groomers, graders, and back-hoes are not required to be licensed or inspected.

Not being smart but we established that..still trying to figure out why the club had an inspection done on groomers?

Not being smart but we established that..still trying to figure out why the club had an inspection done on groomers?

Club policy maybe?

Sounds like your local mechanic doing the inspections is just looking for some extra winter income.

And..that could have been the case. We have a paid mechanic for the Winter. He did not strike me as the type to pad anything..and is a great mechanic withe the BR's and New Hollands.

It's not club policy..we just re wrote most of them this Summer...

I am thinking it was done as a cya type of thing, it's pretty much a dead horse now .

A Groomer operator driver drowned today near Kenora, he and the groomer broke through while grooming the winter road

Kenora man dies when groomer breaks through ice

Miner and News

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:42:20 EST PM

1297361037461_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x&stmp=1357674127741

• sm-share-en.gif

Change text size for the story

Print

Report an error

A 52-year-old Kenora man is dead after the groomer he was operating broke through the ice near Poplar Hill First Nation Saturday.

The Nishnawbe-Aski Police Service’s North West Region Crime Unit responded and with assistance from the OPP Underwater Search and Recovery Unit recovered the body of Thomas McDonald.

A post-mortem conducted at the Lake of the Woods District Hospital Monday identified the cause of death as drowning.

NAPS warns caution should be used in all cases of winter road travel and urged drivers to stay off if ice thickness is unknown.

Winter road updates are available from the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines.

Winter roads in the province’s Far North connect 31 remote First Nation communities to a permanent highway or railway system. From around mid-January until spring thaw (usually late March), these roads make it easier and less costly for people to travel and bring in supplies.

Groomer tracking system????

it's very hard to tell with an automotive fire what the exact cause was. You can however determine things like area of origin, if accelerants were used, or if it started outside or under the vehicle (arson).

Has anybody heard from greggie, or others, as to what the likely cause was?

I'm presuming an electrical short or similar but just guessing.

I read it was a "mechanical" fire. Not sure what falls into a mechanical fire but it must not be electrical.

http://www.wcstai.com/forum/trail-talk/pisten-bully-groomer-fire/

Maybe a blown hydraulic hose.

All over the exhaust and sure enough up she goes. Makes sense to me.

Thankfully, Greg is okay.

Archived