2012 Arctic Cat XF-1100 Turbo Sleds..Any comments?

Turbo Doo

I 'think' that is the sled that AC+YA has. Maybe he will chime in.

All I can say it is a rocket. Seen one in hailburton last winter. You could hear the turbo kick in from a distance and then wasaaaaaapppp here him fly across the lake. It was very impressive. I think the 2013 model would be the one to get. Will have a few extra tweaks from first year bugs.

Friend I ride with has one and absolutely loves it. Says it is the most comfortable sled he has ever had and has more power than you could ever need although he wants this add on kit that will give it even more. He also likes to show off with the remote start. Rode it all last winter without a problem. Yes he did ride a fair bit... we just had to trailer to get there.

Just wondering if theres anyone out there that has this sled? Feel free to chime in about thoughts on these sleds. Kinda interested in them..

Thanks..

I bought one last year. I rode it just shy of 8000 kilometers and it was a new experience for me. It did well in deep snow despite the weight, much like the Crossfire sleds, but there is a point at which you still need a true mountain sled. It was a very nice trail sled as well and the sit-up style really helped my knees as was noted when riding my older Crossfire sleds. Power and acceleration was really great, but ultimate top speed was not as much as I thought it might be. Did good on gas when not riding hard, but this is comparing it to my 2 stroke Cats. This sled can run with the Yamaha Apex all day long no problem. I had an Apex a couple years back and the XF-1100 T feels much lighter in the front, but nothing sounds as good as an Apex! The engine breaking was not overwhelming as the Yamahas have deminstrated and I could actually get back on a 2-stroke and not have to totally re-learn how to ride. My daughter still complains a little about not seeing a brake light and ending up too close when I slow for curves.

In general it was a great sled, but I did experience some issues! The 2013 models probably will not have the issues. The left over 2012 models may have most or all of the issues corrected. I would have to say it was a true issue not to have reverse for an entire season! It failed at 100 kilometers after I pulled to the edge of the lookout just south of Wawa on the power line. I had to drag it backwards in deep snow. It was fixed and actually worked, but was told it could fail again at any time so do not ever use it. Now it is scheduled to be fixed again next month and it may actually work!

I had the exhaust crack on the back side of the turbo and that was replaced. I had the secondary clutch cause performance issues before it totally failed and portions actually melt from friction as I tried to get back to Dubreuilville. My daughter towed me the last 50 kilometers back from Hornepayne. The bearing on the jackshaft had lost its metal cover and the belt had caught fire just before it gave up with an explosive sound. I am told that many of the new China clutches were machined wrong and can have issues. This is all replaced now.

I love the machine and did ride the heck out of it last season. I plan to put lots more miles on it and Arctic Cat has extended the full coverage warranty by another year due to the issues everyone had with the reverse. I had 2 years and now a third year of full coverage.

Once the bugs are out, it will be a great all around machine.

This is why I never buy a first year model of sleds and or cars. Great info. The 2013's should be good.

Have been around one for a few mile's now....motor is reliable,,front end is good once dialed in,rear end is good also.....its a cold sled to ride....there clutches the last few yrs are not very good...very heavy on the front....they are ok in stock tune,,throw a tune in the ecm wakes them up and is needed as in stock from not very quick...overall not a bad ride....o ya they are green...lol

Have been around one for a few mile's now....motor is reliable,,front end is good once dialed in,rear end is good also.....its a cold sled to ride....there clutches the last few yrs are not very good...very heavy on the front....they are ok in stock tune,,throw a tune in the ecm wakes them up and is needed as in stock from not very quick...overall not a bad ride....o ya they are green...lol

To ride when it is really cold, you want to buy the extra tall windsheild and then it is fine. The front end on all the big cc 4-strokes are heavy compared to the 2-strokes. The weight makes it take a bit to get going, but she goes pretty good after that.

I hear they shaved some weight off the new ones too. They removed the OEM equipped fire extinguisher.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a 2012 model. If you read up on all the issues others have had over on Arctic Chat and Hardcore Sledder forums, it would make anyone very leary on buying one. Tunnel icing/denting issues, track lugs tearing, fuel leaks, coolant leaks, loose steering bolts, belts blowing, clutch rollers, idler wheels crumbling, reverse gears stripping have all been documented. I realize that there are others who have this sled and love them and have had no issues, but there is no way you can deny the fact that there are a lot of angry AC owners out there and dissatisfied with these sleds.

Arctic Cat has stepped up and are helping with some of the issues, as well as offering an extra year warranty, but to me, there's too many things to worry about on the 2012s. Even Dealers are refusing to take 2012 models on trade in...to me, that says something.

Arctic Cat has "apparently" addressed many issues on the 2013s, but I'd take a wait an see approach.

Thanks guys for your comments...

Better stick with your poo!

JMO Last years cats are the coolest looking. I have no experience with them at all! Only seen them in Halliburton last year on my only ride.

I have a question for you..... how do you like your IQ turbo?

Personally, I wouldn't touch a 2012 model. If you read up on all the issues others have had over on Arctic Chat and Hardcore Sledder forums, it would make anyone very leary on buying one. Tunnel icing/denting issues, track lugs tearing, fuel leaks, coolant leaks, loose steering bolts, belts blowing, clutch rollers, idler wheels crumbling, reverse gears stripping have all been documented. I realize that there are others who have this sled and love them and have had no issues, but there is no way you can deny the fact that there are a lot of angry AC owners out there and dissatisfied with these sleds.

Arctic Cat has stepped up and are helping with some of the issues, as well as offering an extra year warranty, but to me, there's too many things to worry about on the 2012s. Even Dealers are refusing to take 2012 models on trade in...to me, that says something.

Arctic Cat has "apparently" addressed many issues on the 2013s, but I'd take a wait an see approach.

There were times last season when I was quite upset with Cat because they had made a really great new sled, but never worked the bugs out of something as simple as reverse. They had a chance to reclaim a big part of the market and instead, were not able to supply necessary basic things like spare belts until the season was half over.

Cat really dropped the ball because they jumped the gun! I am sure that in a couple more years, they will be bullet proof. Then, the Cat engines will change to US built and I will wonder again if they are still solid?

JMO Last years cats are the coolest looking. I have no experience with them at all! Only seen them in Halliburton last year on my only ride.

I have a question for you..... how do you like your IQ turbo?

Absolutly awesome machine. Fantastic fuel milage, even when riding hard. Rode 5440km's last season, not one problem. Going to most likely be buying another one. Going to buy a left over 2012 IQ turbo. No turbo nothing from Polaris for 2013...

Archived