Riding Gear

revrnd

I posted on a thread in the North forum about riding gear. Just thought I'd start a thread in General so folks could compare notes on their riding gear.

I've got a 'doo Jacket:

Snow Gear 001.jpg

It's a fairly heavyweight garment.

I've kept an older jacket ('86 or '87 vintage) for warmer weather:

post-19781-0-23524900-1328844634_thumb.jpg

Bro' & SIL wear Choko jackets. The 3 of us all wear Choko Deluxe Cordura pants since '08 (as per Saguenay Bill of the QuebecRider forum) http://www.chokodesi...ard_deluxe.html.

Choko has a heavier weight Extreme Cordura bib, but it wasn't available in Tall sizes.

Underneath we've got polypropylene underwear. Never had any issues w/ the cold up north wearing this gear.

For gloves I've got 3 pairs that I wear:

Reima (yeah that old) leather & cordura gloves for the colder temps

ski-doo "sno-x" gloves

For warmer weather like today (just above freezing) a pair of Answer MX gloves

My boots are Sorel Glaciers.

Yamaha jacket

Klim Klimate Bib

Klim Fusion gloves (I love the grip/warm positions)

Just wear a long sleeve shirt underneath, and a hoodie over my snow pants when really cold.

And some boots that where on sale a Canadian Tire last year lol

Usually "down south" just a T shirt underneath. The odd ride I've tried some "technical" shirts I've got for MTBing. They're good @ wicking away the sweat. I find if I wear too much down here I get sweaty.

A bunch of us from work took a snow day & rode from Garden Hill to Kasshabog Lake & back. When we stopped @ Havelock for Chinese food, the guys couldn't get over that I wasn't all layered up underneath. Someone said that there's no meat on him, so nothing would freeze ;) .

Doo jacket similar to the top picture,

Doo bibs with that rubber knee pads

doo leather gloves

poly or whatever you call it underware- main thing I never wear cotton

and those cheap CTC snowmobile boots.

Can honestly say I've never been cold but I ride a ZX with the full size windshield and I'm not the fastest guy out there but I keep up.

Jackets-

2 Choko OFSC-Volunteer and TP Versions

Polaris race crew jacket

or a

Coldwave jacket

Pants-

Pure Polaris

Ski doo

Gloves-

Polaris

fire fly

kombi

FXR Adrenaline jacket and FXR backshift pants.

2 pairs of FXR gloves

FXR boots

+ my spare..

FXR jacket from the 2002 vintage when they were still made in Canada and before RD ever got the hands on them and mass marketed them

CKX pants

I also use moisture wicking under layer and a fleet jacket of vest on really cold days... Never really been cold though.

We take the muffs up north, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable riding w/ them down here where the trails are a lot twistier.

My boots are Sorel Glaciers.

Excellently warm boots as we (and I think Doonut) know. You might also try the new Sorel Alpha Pac boots which are designed for a more flexibility and are almost as warm. Got them for $87 at the Sail opening in Oshawa - usually around $120. Bastard to get on and off, but easier to move in. Get one size larger than normal for a better fit.

Kept the Glaciers of course for the extreme cold weather.

Coldwave gortex non insulated jacket. Coldwave gortex pants with removable liners or Bass Pro gortex wind breaker and shell pants when spring riding off trail. Varying layers of polyester under wear and MWW Windy Mountain brand fleeces.

Baffin Evolution boots ( new model this year and awsome) for most days and SubZero -100 boots for when its nasty cold with Bass Pro (Red Head) .house brand 100% synthetic fibre hunting socks

Gloves are Klim or Coldwave, depending on temp. Unwind velaclavas too.

Slomo, I know the Glaciers are a bit on the big side, but I've gotten used to them. The only drawback we've noticed that just after a couple of seasons of use, the rubber is starting to "check".

FXR Jacket with Floatex & FXR Floatex Pants. Love them, but I'm always cold so I usually wear layers underneath including a coldwave fleece lincer that is windproof.

This weekend when we were heading to Quebec it was supposed to be really cold. Almost too cold to think I would enjoy any riding until,.............................I though of something.

I have a heated Tourmaster Jacket that I wear under my motocycle jacket when it's cold out. I thought, why can't I use it on my sled. so I asked the Mr. to hook up the wire to the battery before we left and I grabbed my jacket. I wore a thin skidoo shirt and then the heated jacket (it's comfortable and lightweight, not bulky) and then my FXR jacket. Well, let me tell you.................It was awesome, I will ride with this heated jacket all the time. It has 3 settings, and feels like you're wrapped up in an electric blanket when you're riding. Made the difference between an okay weekend and a great weekend of riding. Never being cold. I put on 615 miles this weekend and I was comfortable all the time, even having to turn the jacket off once in a while although the low setting is quite cozy!

Anyway, thought i'd share this for any of you northern riders who brave the trails at -25-30C like we do sometime. I won't be leaving without this jacket ever...............................and I always ride with my Skidoo racing muffs!

A couple of things I forgot in my 1st post. Usually, my helmet is a HJC CL-15 full face w/ the Kimpex Quick Tint on sunny days.

If it's above freezing I have a ZOX Fiction MX-style helmet & Scott 87 OTG goggles. I'll wear a balaclava w/ it. If it's really cold, I'll wear it w/ the full face helmet as well. Finally, to protect my neck, I'll wear a woolen dickie that I've had for years.

layering with light shells are the way to go for us. i have klim gear tops and bottoms but, have recently switched to snowboard gear for better fit (read, more roomy for ease of movement) and better colors for picture opportunities. the big thing with the board gear is, you dont look like everyone else on the trail, and they breathe well, and repel water and snow ALOT BETTER than most sled specific gear. also board wear is about half the cost of sled specific gear so, you can buy more (or less) if you choose.

personally i like the sessions, foursquare, special blend, oakley, burton gear. my wife likes the nakita brand for ladies styles.

when you wear one big bulky coat, pant or bib, you are stuck with that, if it gets warmer or colder. with layering, you add and subtract as conditions change.

ski

Both my husband and I wear the FXR Flotex suits, nice and toasty warm. However my husband always gets cold when riding, so this year we picked him up a "heated" vest. Tried it for the first time this past weekend, he loves it! Wishes he would have gotten the full jacket instead, maybe next year. The most important thing while riding is to feel warm and comfortable, after many years of riding I think we have finally found our perfect set-up. I picked up some Under Armour, pants and Mock neck shirt, nice and warm but really light weight. I use a full-face helmet with a heated shield, on really cold days I use the Un-wind balaclava on other days just a light micro-fleece balaclava works. He is now using an open face helmet with a visor as he alway had issue with his glasses fogging up. Open face equals cold though so he picked up a No-Fog mask and its all good now. Both of us are using FXR Gloves, so far so good, although I must say that my Arctic Cat had much better thumb and hand heaters that the new Doo has.

Mustang Ice Rider jacket and pants; Tekvest, Ski-Doo boots & gloves, Ski-Doo Modular 2 helmet, Mountain Equipment gear for the rest.

Archived