There goes another one.... piston....

nanoonanook

I broke 10,000km on my Nytro XTX on the weekend. There has been one recall that I took it back to the dealer for a bolt backing out on the right upper A-arm. That's it, done nothing but regular servicing, change oil, grease, etc and I do all of that myself. No exhaust donuts and only on my second set of hyfax. I changed the skis before I ever rode it and it took a lot of time to get it set up to my satisfaction, but that is no different than any other sled I've owned. Gets as good or better fuel economy than any E-tec, 600 or 800, that I ride with and they use oil when you squeeze the throttle to the bar. The 1200 Doo is the really decent sled, but it would be hard to give up the quality and reliability of the Yammy.

As far as off trail capability, the Nytro or 1200 Renegade would be the only 4-strokes that fall into the weight catagory to do double duty, IMO. My Nytro is within 15lbs. of my old Rev Renegade 800 and I'll take it anywhere that the guys on the 2-strokes will go.....

I am a little concerned. I have an 07 Jag which I purchased brand new Feb 2010. I had a whine at 70 km and higher, so I took the sled while it was under warranty to the local dealer. He looked at it and said that I only had about 3 ounces of oil in the diamond drive and there should be 13 oz. Drive was flushed and filled with correct amount. I got the sled back and it still has a high pitch whine, almost like a jet turbine. Reading all the info. here on the diamond drive I hope none of the bearings are shot.The dealer said the oil that was drained was very clean so there was no damage to anything. There does not appear to be a leak either, so I do not know why it only had a few ounces of oil. Does anyone else have the whine or is it just my sled. Dealer said some whine is normal due to the quieter engine, you are able to hear more. Sled has 1400Km and had its first service at 1000KM with the engine oil changed and all other first service requirements.

Personally, I love the yamaha 4 stroke motors, but the chasis leaves something to desire in my mind. And in fact in my loyal yamaha buddies mind after trying my 1200 renegade. I've said for years that a yamaha motor in a doo chasis would be the perfect ride.

You won't regret a yamaha, they are a very nice machine, but I think for comparision sake, you should also take a serious look a a doo 4 stroke. So far I love mine, it is the best trail sled I have ever been on.

FishHog

I am a little concerned. I have an 07 Jag which I purchased brand new Feb 2010. I had a whine at 70 km and higher, so I took the sled while it was under warranty to the local dealer. He looked at it and said that I only had about 3 ounces of oil in the diamond drive and there should be 13 oz. Drive was flushed and filled with correct amount. I got the sled back and it still has a high pitch whine, almost like a jet turbine. Reading all the info. here on the diamond drive I hope none of the bearings are shot.The dealer said the oil that was drained was very clean so there was no damage to anything. There does not appear to be a leak either, so I do not know why it only had a few ounces of oil. Does anyone else have the whine or is it just my sled. Dealer said some whine is normal due to the quieter engine, you are able to hear more. Sled has 1400Km and had its first service at 1000KM with the engine oil changed and all other first service requirements.

is the diamond drive like a planetary gear set with a ring gear and sun gear? and if so can you change the ratio on the sled.

You have a very valid point. Rotax actually makes ALOT of bike motors....and of course the ETEC of evinrude (which everyone else has too)...

But the fact remains that when it comes to 4 stroke technology Yamaha has that covered. Bikes and sleds are much more closely related in terms of engine performance expectation and wieght than sleds and outboards...

He he :lol:

is the diamond drive like a planetary gear set with a ring gear and sun gear? and if so can you change the ratio on the sled.

yes you can change the gearing but it is not a cheap process,,,, :right_on:

the whine you here is the gear to gear whine in the DD. this is common, especially in a quieter sled. think of summertime and a gear driven cam hot rod motor. same whine. gear to gear whine. so it is ok and normall.

here is a really good article on the DD bearing failures.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151644

mind you these guys are offtrail mountain guys but, there are some trail pounders out there. this fix takes about an hour of your time and costs less than 50.00. just changing the oil will help but, before you have a catastrophic failure, you would be better served to remove the dd cover and take a look in there.

i have done four of these upgrades to mine and friends sleds. peace of mind is a great thing.

also, for the those that arent familiar.... cat is partnered with suzuki who produces their 2 stroke motors (at least till the first quarter of 2015). the only company with batteryless efi, and has had it for close to 20 years. yes it isnt Di but, cats fueling has been industry leading for many years. ski

you can find DD gear sets on fleabay and other sled forums for about 100 bux if you want a gear change. the one that pulls out of the planatary is an easy swap, the output shaft gear is pressed into the DD cover and can be a PITA. but gear swaps are about the same pricewise as a chaincase swap when replacing chain, upper and or lower gears.

some chain case set ups have some pretty expensive lower gears. read: yamaha lower reverse gears. been there done that, bought the Tshirt, banged my knuckles. LOL!

i beleive the gears are helical cut. ski

I am not mechanically inclined, accountant by trade. To have the sled checked out and the oil done on the DD cost me 150, not that I am complaining. I would have hoped he would have took the cover off to check, but tring to recall my conversation about the work, he just said that the oil was very clean, so he does not think thre is anything wrong. Thanks for the advice and I will keep my eye on things.

4mysled

generally they dont pull the cover. they drain the fluid and then add the flush, run the sled a minute or two, drain the flush, then fill with the proper amount of DD oil. it will give you an "indication" but if the heavier metal fragments of the bearing do not come out in the flush, it will appear the DD is ok.

please look at the above link to snowest for the DD issue and become educated. these things are not cheap to repair or replace. and for the small amount of time it takes, it is worth it. too bad you werent closer, i would take a look for you. ski

Ummm, What about Johnson :rolleyes:

I'm not against Yamaha, but I don't buy that line ;)

Motorcycles and sleds are two different beasts.

Hey BRP bought Johnson to get the DI and SDI technology, so you can't pick on them...

When I say motorcycle, I don't mean a lazy V-twin. I'm talking performance bikes. Sled and motorcycle are closer than you think, owners of both want high power and low weight, and they both get beat on. Yamaha has build some of the best performance bikes for years, the R1 is still a leader in the liter class bikes. And I own a Honda.....

You have a very valid point. Rotax actually makes ALOT of bike motors....and of course the ETEC of evinrude (which everyone else has too)...

Rotax bike engines are singles and twins for ATVs and that 3 wheeled thing they build, so I wouldn't count that LOL....

But their 4 stroke jet boat engines are most likely close to the sled engine. 1500cc 3 cylinder at 210hp, or supercharged 255hp when is that coming to a sled :drool-1:

But their 4 stroke jet boat engines are most likely close to the sled engine. 1500cc 3 cylinder at 210hp, or supercharged 255hp when is that coming to a sled :drool-1:

When they can get the valve train to last and the nut to stay on the supercharger wheel :coffeenose: .

Rotax bike engines are singles and twins for ATVs and that 3 wheeled thing they build, so I wouldn't count that LOL....

Gather you don't know what engine powers BMWs motorcycles,Aprilia bikes and the Buel 1125 :coffeenose::phonecall:

Gather you don't know what engine powers BMWs motorcycles,Aprilia bikes and the Buel 1125 :coffeenose::phonecall:

never new that,,,,,, :right_on::right_on:

never new that,,,,,, :right_on::right_on:

That's some BMW bikes( Rotax Austria). BRP has made some very good power plants but also some not so good ones.

I can't add much to Easy Riders post. I just topped 8900km on my 09 Nytro with no issues.

My Diamond Drive made the same whine until I got about 2000 miles on the sled and then the gears

finally finished thier break in.I had the cover off at least twice and found nothing wrong.

Archived