High School Snowmobile Club

02Sled

I just saw on the news that the Stayner Collegiate has a Snowmobile Club started by one of the teachers. The OPP are on board and have been providing safety education for the students. Everybody keeps talking about the aging snowmobiler. This is a great way to get the younger riders involved. It seems they get school credit for participation.

You watch the Barrie news as well eh? 

It seems like a good program for sure....

I hope the teacher in Stayner has some type of personal liability insurance. The way things are these days of entitlement and litigiousness you are asking for a world of hurt should something go wrong.

Here's a little story for you.....on a recent trip to Europe, one of the students, known to be an ahole, ended up trashing a hotel room to the point where German police put him in jail. Parents had to fly over and bail him out, pay fines, damages etc. Now, it would make sense that that student would not be allowed to go on any further trips n'est pas? Ha! He signed up for the next one, was told to take a hike, but parents complained to superintendents and trustees, and student was allowed to go. Sadly for the rest of the students, trip was cancelled as who wanted to put up with that BS again?

Say the wrong word, don't provide what someone calls a 'safe' environment for activities,  call someone what they consider an offensive name, be seen on facebook having a glass of wine with friends in a restaurant, be the principal who suspended a student for bringing a switchblade to school only to be picketed by that student's 'community'.... there are the Blue Pages in the Ontario College of Teachers magazine and if you end up there.......

7 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I just saw on the news that the Stayner Collegiate has a Snowmobile Club started by one of the teachers. The OPP are on board and have been providing safety education for the students. Everybody keeps talking about the aging snowmobiler. This is a great way to get the younger riders involved. It seems they get school credit for participation.

I was thinking about that yesterday when I was out riding. I know in the past that LDSS students (the now closed high school in Lakefield) had built outhouses for the Buckhorn club.

Another legal wrinkle with regards to this and to legal liability....

The [Ontario] Court of Appeal ruling clarifies both employers and employees can be named as defendants in employee negligence cases.....

Article:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/01/04/ruling-in-starbucks-lawsuit-clarifies-that-both-the-employee-and-employer-can-be-sued.html

Your employer may have insurance against such claims - which the ''injury lawyers" will certainly attempt to exploit - but an employee faced with a civil or other suit is going to find their bare ass hanging in the wind.

11 minutes ago, slomo said:

The [Ontario] Court of Appeal ruling clarifies both employers and employees can be named as defendants in employee negligence cases.....

Article:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/01/04/ruling-in-starbucks-lawsuit-clarifies-that-both-the-employee-and-employer-can-be-sued.html

Your employer may have insurance against such claims - which the ''injury lawyers" will certainly attempt to exploit - but an employee faced with a civil or other suit is going to find their bare ass hanging in the wind.

I guess the school should cancel all sports activities teams or extra curricular activities. The snowmobile club at the school is a sanctioned activity just like the football team

NEW world order, aholes no longer have to take responsibility for their actions and can screw with your life. We are becoming AMERICANIZED, CALL THE LAWYER I'M BEING MISTREATED . 

5 hours ago, RIVERMAN said:

NEW world order, aholes no longer have to take responsibility for their actions and can screw with your life. We are becoming AMERICANIZED, CALL THE LAWYER I'M BEING MISTREATED . 

It has been this way a long long time and we all pay the price. When I was 19 I was in the back seat of a volvo that my friend was driving, it was his moms car. We went through a green and were hit. Driver of the other car 100% at fault. Five of us in the car, not one of use were hurt at all. Deal with it and on our way. Two weeks later I get a call from a lawyer, he is representing the four others in the car. He had been hired by one and had recruited the other three in a law suit and now was asking me to pretty much fake an injury. I declined to participate in the fraud. They all got a settlement before a trial for I think about 10k. This is why our insurance is out of hand, it happens every day.

6 hours ago, slomo said:

Article:

I'm pretty sure that if an employee doing their job is involved in a lawsuit that the employer is also named in, they would be covered under the employer's insurance...  I think that is standard, but could be wrong.

1 hour ago, zoso said:

It has been this way a long long time and we all pay the price. When I was 19 I was in the back seat of a volvo that my friend was driving, it was his moms car. We went through a green and were hit. Driver of the other car 100% at fault. Five of us in the car, not one of use were hurt at all. Deal with it and on our way. Two weeks later I get a call from a lawyer, he is representing the four others in the car. He had been hired by one and had recruited the other three in a law suit and now was asking me to pretty much fake an injury. I declined to participate in the fraud. They all got a settlement before a trial for I think about 10k. This is why our insurance is out of hand, it happens every day.

Unfortunately true.  Only diff today is the kids parents would sue you if there was any chance of them getting anything.

Archived