Gear for Sled Travel

revrnd

I didn't think this post would fit the Bare Essentials thread, but the stuff isn't emergency stuff either. The following files would be what bro & I worked from when prepping for our trips to northern Ontario. I haven't done any overnight trips in southern Ontario (I know he has) & I know we wouldn't take near the gear for a trip that was only 2 or 3 days in duration.

The 'coloured' Excel file is 1 my nephew came up w/ several years ago. I'm not sure where he found the info. Maybe bro had a list laying around. The pdf file was I think in AmSnow magazine, but I could be wrong.

5a4ed55d0f693_SleddingChecklist.thumb.JPG.c26a702aef630ff16caabddff160624c.JPG\

Trip Checklist.pdf

You'll probably see the Krazy Karpet. Back in '01 we met 2 sledders from Mentor OH @ SRF. They had a Krazy Karpet on the back of 1 of their sleds. We asked them what that was all about. I guess it's for towing a sled (attach to underneath of track) that has a locked up drivetrain.

Well fast forward to our ill-fated 2012 trip. The S-I-L burned up the jackshaft bearing on her sled north of Lucville. We put the Krazy Karpet into use & were not impressed. It basically made the towed sled uncontrollable on the road into town south of the CPR tracks. It was like you had a person swinging back & forth behind you on a wakeboard. It may have a use, but we have our doubts after that episode.   

Obviously if you aren't trailering, that gear isn't necessary.

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I didn't think this post would fit the Bare Essentials thread, but the stuff isn't emergency stuff either. The following files would be what bro & I worked from when prepping for our trips to northern Ontario. I haven't done any overnight trips in southern Ontario (I know he has) & I know we wouldn't take near the gear for a trip that was only 2 or 3 days in duration.

The 'coloured' Excel file is 1 my nephew came up w/ several years ago. I'm not sure where he found the info. Maybe bro had a list laying around. The pdf file was I think in AmSnow magazine, but I could be wrong.5a4ed55d0f693_SleddingChecklist.thumb.JPG.c26a702aef630ff16caabddff160624c.JPG\

Trip Checklist.pdf

You'll probably see the Krazy Karpet. Back in '01 we met 2 sledders from Mentor OH @ SRF. They had a Krazy Karpet on the back of 1 of their sleds. We asked them what that was all about. I guess it's for towing a sled (attach to underneath of track) that has a locked up drivetrain.

Well fast forward to our ill-fated 2012 trip. The S-I-L burned up the jackshaft bearing on her sled north of Lucville. We put the Krazy Karpet into use & were not impressed. It basically made the towed sled uncontrollable on the road into town south of the CPR tracks. It was like you had a person swinging back & forth behind you on a wakeboard. It may have a use, but we have our doubts after that episode.   

In a pinch it can get you as far as the closest road and that is where it should be left for pick up. It is illegal to tow without a rigid bar so there is that aspect as well.

4 minutes ago, zoso said:

In a pinch it can get you as far as the closest road and that is where it should be left for pick up. It is illegal to tow without a rigid bar so there is that aspect as well.

illegal to tow without a rigid bar??  Were off road here right!!

6 minutes ago, gobills said:

illegal to tow without a rigid bar??  Were off road here right!!

Towing

By means of a rigid tow bar

19 (1) No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle which is towing a cutter, toboggan, sled or similar conveyance except by means of a rigid tow bar.  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 19 (1).

On serviced roadway prohibited

(2) No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle which is towing a person or conveyance on a serviced roadway except to cross the serviced roadway at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the direction of the serviced roadway.  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 19 (2).

Do you think they mean snowmobile when they write sled?? Otherwise I wouldn't include a snowmobile as a "similar conveyance" with the others mentioned.

10 minutes ago, gobills said:

Good to know.  But i can not see any cop enforcing that rule.

I agree, most would consider the alternatives in getting sled out and turn a blind eye, but they sure as heck would not if you were running down a road with a crazy carpet under the track of the disabled machine.

5 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Do you think they mean snowmobile when they write sled?? Otherwise I wouldn't include a snowmobile as a "similar conveyance" with the others mentioned.

That would be for a judge to decide, and I bet there is no case law to refer to.

6 minutes ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

You’d be surprised lol 

ya maybe a sled on a  crazy carpet charge was laid. IMO it would stick, it is pretty much a blanket statement to cover anything you may be towing.

I just don't believe any logical person would group a snowmobile in the same grouping as "a cutter, toboggan, sled or similar conveyance".  

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I just don't believe any logical person would group a snowmobile in the same grouping as "a cutter, toboggan, sled or similar conveyance".  

Really, have you met any cops?

2 hours ago, zoso said:

That's probably true. The plowed road we were on I think is only used as an access road to the CPR tracks. A hi-rail truck went by as we were working on getting the 'down' sled ready to tow. I think the road is groomed north of there. Skidooboy or Matt17 probably know where I'm talking about. It's not like we were towing the sled along the shoulder of Hwy 11.

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I'm sure sled meens sled, not snowmobile.

Archived