loud pipes

tireless

It is illegal to modify the exaust on a motorcycle too not just snowmobiles.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harleys are loud from the factory and meet the manufacturing standards for motorcycles..  So are sleds.  If someone has tampered with the exhaust of a motorcycle, car, ATV or snowmobile to make it exceed the decibel level from the factory, they should be charged and the vehicle seized.  

I'd rather see people on the trails with some alcohol in them before we lose trails to people that can't see past themselves and have loader than acceptable pipes / Cans.

There is just no excuse!

Sorry but your wrong Harleys are whisper quiet from the factory but you never hear them that way because that is the first thing changed before it leaves the dealership. Stock Harley is so quiet you can hear the tires whirring over the asphalt.

I like what some of the US states are doing. Sound meter and if your to loud you get a ticket. I added an after market muffler to my Warrior and yes it is a bit louder but my 600 Cat is louder still with stock system.

It is illegal to modify the exaust on a motorcycle too not just snowmobiles.

Really! It might be illegal but no one on a bike ever gets charged. Sleds yes and not even if they are anywhere near as obnoxious as a V twin with straight pipes.

Harleys with straight pipes rattling my windows and waking me up as I was a shift worker and sleeping during the day. Yet sleds with all kids of pipes going by in the winter and no problem just sweet sleep.

Sorry but your wrong Harleys are whisper quiet from the factory but you never hear them that way because that is the first thing changed before it leaves the dealership. Stock Harley is so quiet you can hear the tires whirring over the asphalt.

I live on a main artery to Port Dover I have yet to hear a quiet Harley.

will prove that today I imagine,should be a few bikes your way today..

Have you seen a Harley pulled over? I haven't

They have their own challenges to deal with and if the Harley is configured illegally they will get pulled over. Saw a group of bikes on the side of the road last summer with the OPP. One of them had handlebars that had the rider with his hands higher than his head. I guess he figured looking like an ape made him look cool. The OPP were measuring the bars.

The biggest difference though tends to be as already mentioned one is on a public road and the other is on private property. One has a loud bike go by and it is gone in seconds and not likely going to have a reapeat that day. The sleds going by can be pretty constant especially on a Saturday.

Nieghbour kid across the road modified the exhaust on his pickup. He starts it up at 5:00 am and lets it idle for 10 minutes or more. The guy that lives beside him tells me it vibrates his windows. He called the police and they had the truck checked by MTO. He doesn't have the modified exhaust anymore.

I am in Daytona Beach,it's bike week down hear this week,you want to talk about loud and trying to sleep,ear plugs don't even work.

I like what some of the US states are doing. Sound meter and if your to loud you get a ticket. I added an after market muffler to my Warrior and yes it is a bit louder but my 600 Cat is louder still with stock system.

I'm not sure about new Harleys, but I know that older factory Harleys are louder than other bikes were.  We had a Harley at home for 20 years.  A new Full Dresser 1200 every 2 years.  Never modified and they are loud to me.  I'm sure that many people remove the exhaust baffles to make them very loud.  This issue needs enforcement to make it stop.

I've seen the odd quiet harley, but they're rare like pope's poop .... 

Wanna talk about needing enforcement ?  How about all the a-holes with their dual-straight-out-the-back pickups, and diesels with the DEF delete kits, spewing raw carbon out the pipes.  And ridiculous loud, like disgusting.  Can't be enforced by the OPP, according to them, if it passes safety, it's not an offence to them.  They need to be stopped by the MTO in order to get charged with anything related to the modification.  THEN they can be charged with improper exhaust system, bypassing whatever, etc.

This is from a Hearst OPP officer, who hear LOTS of noise complaints, all from stupid punks with heavy feet,  jacked-up diesels and no exhausts.

I've seen the odd quiet harley, but they're rare like pope's poop .... 

Wanna talk about needing enforcement ?  How about all the a-holes with their dual-straight-out-the-back pickups, and diesels with the DEF delete kits, spewing raw carbon out the pipes.  And ridiculous loud, like disgusting.  Can't be enforced by the OPP, according to them, if it passes safety, it's not an offence to them.  They need to be stopped by the MTO in order to get charged with anything related to the modification.  THEN they can be charged with improper exhaust system, bypassing whatever, etc.

This is from a Hearst OPP officer, who hear LOTS of noise complaints, all from stupid punks with heavy feet,  jacked-up diesels and no exhausts.

May have changed but police used to be able to require an MTO inspection.... something like issuing a ticket but not. At least in Toronto there are noise bylaws that may come into play.

Noise by-laws apply....but always wonder why the neighbours aren't complaining. Soon enough we'll be into ATV and dirtbike season.  Now there's a way to spoil a nice day at the lake.....one of the (many) reasons why I don't live at Remi Lake anymore.

or the guy who has a nice big lake and has the need to do figure 8's in one spot over and over on his seadoo....

Proves my point! Course if its stock you wouldn't heard it! All the Harley riders I know changed pipes befor ethe first ride, most at the dealership. They all follow the loud pipes save life theory. Problem is most bikers die from left turning vehicles not seeing them. Loud pipes can't be heard in this case so the whole loud pipes thing is just the bad boy biker mentality. Its all about the image!

Kinda wonder if the sledders do it for the same reason. Blair Morgan wannabee's, want to sound like race sleds.

I put mine on because after a seat catching fire I changed the seat and the exhaust to a profile that will not burn my sled down and is somewhat queit!

I am going to have to stop at a Harley shop because I can't believe there is such a thing as a quiet Harley.

I am going to have to stop at a Harley shop because I can't believe there is such a thing as a quiet Harley.

stock pipes on Harley touring bikes are quiet,no one leaves them on...no one

White Dragon.... lol...I must be the exception....I have a 2014 Electra Glide Ultra Limited.... your right Harley touring bikes are quiet, but I still have the stock pipes on...I put on about 13k kms a year.

I cant image doing a long trip with loud exhaust..... day trips maybe, but not a 5 day trip. Your right the majority of bikes dont leave the dealership with the stock pipes on !! They pay 30k+ for a bike and then spend another 1k+ on aftermarket pipes.

I have a friend with a CVO and if he is within 50ft of me, I cant hear my bike..crazy

I will believe you when I see and hear for myself, once again I have never ever heard a quiet Harley. Where are they warehousing all those stock exhausts?

I hear piped sleds from our local cat dealer on the lake all the time loud but not so bad in winter.

Summertime kids with canned raptors harleys are annoying seeing the road is 40k/h limit but rw ally worst is the guys with the straight out exhaust boats hear em for miles coming up/down lake hard to enjoy sitting on boathouse having a beverage with teeth getting rattled out of head

I will believe you when I see and hear for myself, once again I have never ever heard a quiet Harley. Where are they warehousing all those stock exhausts?

in the garage,just check kijiji...every ad reads...removed when new-stock exhaust -$ 100 or bo...& that's no bs

I hear piped sleds from our local cat dealer on the lake all the time loud but not so bad in winter.

Summertime kids with canned raptors harleys are annoying seeing the road is 40k/h limit but rw ally worst is the guys with the straight out exhaust boats hear em for miles coming up/down lake hard to enjoy sitting on boathouse having a beverage with teeth getting rattled out of head

thru hull exhaust on boats is by far the loudest,& travels along water for miles.at least Harleys zoom by & thats it...

White Dragon.... lol...I must be the exception....I have a 2014 Electra Glide Ultra Limited.... your right Harley touring bikes are quiet, but I still have the stock pipes on...I put on about 13k kms a year.

I cant image doing a long trip with loud exhaust..... day trips maybe, but not a 5 day trip. Your right the majority of bikes dont leave the dealership with the stock pipes on !! They pay 30k+ for a bike and then spend another 1k+ on aftermarket pipes.

I have a friend with a CVO and if he is within 50ft of me, I cant hear my bike..crazy

good thing about bikes like ours the exhaust is out the back not side like most.think I may have to fire the hog up now,with all this talk

thru hull exhaust on boats is by far the loudest,& travels along water for miles.at least Harleys zoom by & thats it...

A regulation came into effect in 1999 under the Small Vessel Regulations.

Boats are not permitted within five miles of shore without a noise abatement device unless the boat was built prior to 1960. This means that straight pipes are no longer permitted on boats. A wet exhaust, where the exhaust is partially muffled by cooling water discharged through the exhaust pipes, is not considered a noise abatement device.

I saw OPP stop one guy on our lake for this. Not sure how often it is enforced.

Boats are not permitted within five miles of shore without a noise abatement device unless the boat was built prior to 1960. This means that straight pipes are no longer permitted on boats. A wet exhaust, where the exhaust is partially muffled by cooling water discharged through the exhaust pipes, is not considered a noise abatement device.

Wow coooch isn"t 5 miles wide and when one of those boats get on it you think it is coming down the road at you.

Kerry

Wow coooch isn"t 5 miles wide and when one of those boats get on it you think it is coming down the road at you.

Kerry

Lots of regulations in place that many ignore. Speed limit within 100m of a shoreline is 10 km/h unless going perpendicular to the shore for the purposes of towing away from that shore. As you come into Port Severn from the north there is a posted speed of 10. It starts a fair distance out and one local OPP just loves to enforce it.

Nobody mentions this.

Archived