Storing sleds in trailer, tips??

toddszr600

So I got my first enclosed trailer(tilting clamshell) and one of the reasons was I wanted the sleds out of my garage. So its my first time storing the sleds like this and Im looking for tips.

Ive got my mothballs and a little steelwool to try and keep the critters out and Im on the lookout for some dessicant packs to suck up moisture. Anything else??, I assume its going to get a little warm in there(black trailer), its just going to be at the back of my property for the summer.

Cheers, Todd

So I got my first enclosed trailer(tilting clamshell) and one of the reasons was I wanted the sleds out of my garage. So its my first time storing the sleds like this and Im looking for tips.

Ive got my mothballs and a little steelwool to try and keep the critters out and Im on the lookout for some dessicant packs to suck up moisture. Anything else??, I assume its going to get a little warm in there(black trailer), its just going to be at the back of my property for the summer.

Cheers, Todd

Does your trailer have venting. If not I suggest you put some on. A small one on each side will do it. It will indeed get hot inside and you will have a fair bit of condensation at times. I would suggest you put lightweight covers on your sleds as well. I haven't found a trailer yet that the front access door doesn't leak and that is right over the hood of the sled. The cover will stop the condensation you get on the inside of the cover from dropping on the sled or any rain coming through the front door leaks. I also use sled jacks to lift the track off of the bed.

I don't know that it is true for sure but have often been told the acids in grass are not good for the tires. The suggestions I have been given are to either put a patio slab or piece of wood under each of the tires or jack and block the trailer so the tires are off the ground. The second would help with flat spots on the tires.

breathability is most important, like 02sled said make sure you have vents, and yes definately put wood or a patio slab under each wheel

I always store my sleds in my trailer. I also run them once about every ten days in the off seasons. I am pretty fussy about my equipment.

• Prior to storage sleds get fresh fuel and Sea-foam in the proper proportion and run the engines so the Sea-foam actually circulates into the motor.
  • Proper de-grease, and engine shampoo
  • Hand wash
  • Good quality wax and plastic treatment
  • Polish tunnel
  • Lube the skid and any other grease fittings
  • Spray Krown rust protection on all metal surfaces
  • Sled then goes into trailer
  • Battery on a Battery Tender
  • Back off track tension
  • Jack ass end up
  • Cover but allow for circulation so don't snug the cover down or anything
  • Steel wool in the end of the exhaust
  • Trailer on patio slabs
  • I have also added extra vents for more circulation..just a couple more small ones are fine for cross ventilation
  • I also buy tubs of dessicant from West marine or Bass Pro. These are about the size of a small paint can and sit on the floor of the trailer to help with humidity
  • If humidity get's too intense with heat, I open the trailer and let lot's of air through

I have never had an issue with this storage system. I do not change the oil and other fluids until the Fall prior to the season kick off. As the sled get's started and run regularly, there is no need to change the oil when storing, if you intend to run them once in awhile.

There are many schools of thought on sled and trailer storage..but the system I use had never let me down nor have I had an issue.Ever.

Biggest issue is mositure. If you can best way Is to put in a dehumidifier and run hose and wiring through floor or a small access panel. I bought a dehumidfier for 120 bucks. This will keep humidity in check and will save crank bearings on two stroke motors. Good luck.

You can save yourself $$$ by buying the tubs of dessicant that are used in marine storage, instead of running a dehumidifier which will draw air in from outside that is moist. A dehumidifier is not designed to operate in that environment..you are defeating the purpose..Just sayin'. Proper venting is by far more important as the temperature changes from night to day could be over 30 degrees plus in difference. This will cause condensation which will work it's way into everywhere it is not supposed to get.

Sorry V700 not trying to argue but it is like running your furnace with all the windows open.

black clamshells get hot, especially if they are not stored under trees for shade (and then the trees cause problems for the trailers finish). the height of the clam shells reflects sun heat directly to the sleds windshields and hoods, and can cause warping. good venting is a must.

on hot days, it would be a bonus to crack the front door or back of the shell.

running the sleds a few times a month, or at least once a month completely up to temp, so all the heat exchangers are warm is a very good idea.

ski

Oil undercoat the trailer. It will pay off in the long run.

Oil undercoat the trailer. It will pay off in the long run.

Good point! Especially when we trailer in the worst conditions! All the salt and brine on the roads.

I usually pressure washer my trailer at the end of the season. Service the bearings and make sure it's well vented. Sleds fogged, greased, and cleaned.

Mine is white even in full sun thermo I left in there was barely 10 degrees higher than ambient temp.

Black would get hotter no doubt.

Just the same I bought 1 of those solar powered vents which I installed on top of lid more or less away from directly overtop of sled.

Haven't seen it leak though.

It doesn't run particularly fast but there isn't many cubic feet of air to exchange.

Have had no moisture issues, I seafoam and run the sleds for perfume every few weeks to fully warmed.

You must have tough rodents to be able to enter the trailer. I realize they don't need much room but come on.

Thanks for all the advice guys, its a all aluminum trailer so I dont think it will need the undercoat, but I will soak down the axle, rims etc with rust coat. I will try to find some little vents and install on either side near the peak and also get some dessicant for sure. It will be shaded for a good part of the day and will be sitting on wood I run my sleds around once a month as well.

You never know about the rodents, those little bastards can get in some pretty tight spots, better to be safe the have a seat chewed or a mouse house in your airbox.

Thanks for all the advice guys, its a all aluminum trailer so I dont think it will need the undercoat, but I will soak down the axle, rims etc with rust coat. I will try to find some little vents and install on either side near the peak and also get some dessicant for sure. It will be shaded for a good part of the day and will be sitting on wood I run my sleds around once a month as well.

You never know about the rodents, those little bastards can get in some pretty tight spots, better to be safe the have a seat chewed or a mouse house in your airbox.

Aluminum while it doesn't rust has it's own for lack of a better phrase corrosion concerns. Having the underside sprayed doesn't hurt.

Archived