Where to eat in Ardbeg?

b-bry

Claudie & I are planning a ride up to Ardbeg this weekend. Last year we ate at the place with the gas - can't remember the name - intolerably slow service. What else is available in the Ardbeg area?

Wasn't there a schnitzel place up that way that had renown schnitzel? Or was that closer to Stoney Lake???

The place is Logger's Station House http://www.loggersstationhouse.com/

.There is no other food / fuel in Ardbeg . Support them if you can as they can use your business. We always buy fuel there when passing thru and a meal if timing is right . As the only fuel spot in the area we appreciate it being available , no matter what the cost.

Service can be slow at times but but not always. Many other places have the same problems. Staff are hard to get at some locations. They are a club supporter. Some business we have to stop at do not support the local snowmobile clubs. As far as I know, there is no Stoney Lake near Ardbeg. Travel on.

RW

Wasn't there a schnitzel place up that way that had renown schnitzel? Or was that closer to Stoney Lake???

no schnitzel that I am aware of 1/2 hour up the lake trail is port loring Jake's place is unforgettable. In Ardberg Loggers is the only game in town not much in Pointe au Baril now that the mto tore down Larry's

Maybe it's Jakes then..it's been ages since I was through there. Do they have the schnitzel that literally spills over the plate?

Maybe it's Jakes then..it's been ages since I was through there. Do they have the schnitzel that literally spills over the plate?

Never had schnitzel at Jake's everything I have had there has been awesome.

Two schitzel places in the area have closed - long ago. One was a half hour drive into the woods - looked like a Hansel and Gretal book picture, but went out of business likely due to lack of drive by traffic. There was another in Carling (400 trails) where the owners retired.

The Swiss Country Restaurant is still open and accessible from C104D on Ahmic Lake - watch for the sign. (although I am of the opinion that their schnitzel is pork cutlet, but LMV disagrees.....and he's of German descent so ....) Sledders with such discriminating tastes as Canuck, SlowTouringGuy, SlowTouringGal, and LMV have eaten there with no complaint.

The Logger's Station in Ardbeg, as mentioned above, deserves your support. As Ardbeg is hardly on the map population wise, it is difficult for the owners to figure out when or if the trails will open up there, so service might not be so quick as you would like. I sometimes drive up the Bunny Trail for the food up there in the off season. Good burger.

Jakes in Port Loring, as mentioned, is good. Wish they would use real cheddar instead of process cheese on the club sandwich, but it is good nevertheless. Fries are also good. Jake Weller is also the president of the local sled club. The Saturday we went by in early February, there must have been 50 sleds parked outside around noon. I would also recommend Roxie's Diner in Port Loring having had the burger there as well. They are map sponsors and easy to find on the trail just west of downtown Port Loring.

The Duck Rock resort in Dunchurch has a well patronized restaurant and gas. They are district 10 map sponsors. There is also a small restaurant and gas in Ahmic Harbour.

For gas and a quick snack - coffee, pizza, baked goods etc. - there is the Red Door Bakery in Wabaumik. They have added a table or two and some chairs so you can sit down for a bit, but it couldn't be called a restaurant. A map sponsor, It is not on the trail, but accessible by running two or three lakes off Dunahmic trail 804. Follow the sled tracks that orient to the right (west) of your direction of travel and then follow through the trailer park to reach highway 124 then cross.

post-19713-0-48030000-1330508810_thumb.j

Can't speak for other sledders in the immediate area - Harris Lake Cat or xcsldr - but the Red Door is directly responsible for about 10 lbs. of my total weight - excellent baked goods.

not much in Pointe au Baril now that the mto tore down Larry's

Just an add on here as past through PAB last Sunday and noticed the Haven at north end of town:

from Wikipedia-

"With the demolition of Larry's Tavern for the expansion of the highway, there remains one restaurant, The Haven, which is open all year, The Harbour View, which is only during the summer months and the Shell Station Deli. Beside that there is also two chip wagons located in Pointe au Baril, one open only during summer months, while the other remains open all year."

There is a 'for sale' sign on The Haven.

and an interesting historical note -

"Pointe au Baril was named after the barrel on the point that originally (1870s) marked the treacherous entry to the main channel from the open water of Georgian Bay. As the story goes, early fur traders from Penetanguishene lost a canoe near the point. Their canoe included a barrel of whiskey that was found by stranded traders the next spring. After a drinking spree the barrel was left on the point as a beacon. French mariners were soon calling it Pointe au Baril. Later this marker was improved to include a lantern in the barrel that would be lit by the first fisherman returning inland to light the way for the rest of the boats."

like others have said, service is going to be hit or miss at many of these places.

i have ate at the logger's station house in ardbeg.

service wasnt the quickest but the burgers were worth the wait.

jakes can be just as slow due to number of people there.

never tried roxies, but may giver a go if we get back up there.

Well then, sounds like we'll try Logger's again & see what happens. Last year it took better than 45 minutes just to get a waitress to stop at our table to acknowledge our presence. I know these places get busy and have limited staff, but to lose two hours or more of our day just to have lunch is a bit much.

jeez. 45 minutes to see a waitress...thats a bit much.

was it busy in there at the time?

Yes, fairly busy, but still some number of empty tables. It was a Saturday, probably after 1:30 pm. The two tables closest to me were complaining also. At least get me a beer, then I can be MUCH more patient, but when deprived of my beer, I can get ornery.

About a month ago, we rode to the Village Pub in Burk's Falls. The owner was overwhelmed with a full house of sledders, but at least we got a pitcher on the table within probably 10 minutes. Unfortunately, our burgers took FOREVERRRRRRR. Our group would have been much happier is we'd been told they were way behind and possibly suggest something quicker, like soup & salad, or chili, or anything that would get us back on the trails. By the time we got out of there, we were almost out of daylight and ended up riding in the dark for a couple of hours to get back to base.

Hey, these things happen. I'll mention a couple of places, though, that have never disappointed, even with tons of sleds outside. Bass Lake Roadhouse (MSR region) and H&H Restaurant (Six Star). Quick service, good food (especially Bass Lake with a full menu). A couple of us had the pulled pork sandwiches last week at Bass Lake - so much pork it was leaking out of the bun - gets my B-Bry 5-mugs up rating for sure!

Forgot to mention - the burger at the Village Pub & Eatery was among the finest I've ever eaten, and I don't think it was just because we nearly starved waiting for it. It was really, really good.

Two schitzel places in the area have closed - long ago. One was a half hour drive into the woods - looked like a Hansel and Gretal book picture, but went out of business likely due to lack of drive by traffic. There was another in Carling (400 trails) where the owners retired.

The Swiss Country Restaurant is still open and accessible from C104D on Ahmic Lake - watch for the sign. (although I am of the opinion that their schnitzel is pork cutlet, but LMV disagrees.....and he's of German descent so ....) Sledders with such discriminating tastes as Canuck, SlowTouringGuy, SlowTouringGal, and LMV have eaten there with no complaint.

The Logger's Station in Ardbeg, as mentioned above, deserves your support. As Ardbeg is hardly on the map population wise, it is difficult for the owners to figure out when or if the trails will open up there, so service might not be so quick as you would like. I sometimes drive up the Bunny Trail for the food up there in the off season. Good burger.

Jakes in Port Loring, as mentioned, is good. Wish they would use real cheddar instead of process cheese on the club sandwich, but it is good nevertheless. Fries are also good. Jake Weller is also the president of the local sled club. The Saturday we went by in early February, there must have been 50 sleds parked outside around noon. I would also recommend Roxie's Diner in Port Loring having had the burger there as well. They are map sponsors and easy to find on the trail just west of downtown Port Loring.

The Duck Rock resort in Dunchurch has a well patronized restaurant and gas. They are district 10 map sponsors. There is also a small restaurant and gas in Ahmic Harbour.

For gas and a quick snack - coffee, pizza, baked goods etc. - there is the Red Door Bakery in Wabaumik. They have added a table or two and some chairs so you can sit down for a bit, but it couldn't be called a restaurant. A map sponsor, It is not on the trail, but accessible by running two or three lakes off Dunahmic trail 804. Follow the sled tracks that orient to the right (west) of your direction of travel and then follow through the trailer park to reach highway 124 then cross.

post-19713-0-48030000-1330508810_thumb.jpg

Can't speak for other sledders in the immediate area - Harris Lake Cat or xcsldr - but the Red Door is directly responsible for about 10 lbs. of my total weight - excellent baked goods.

Red Door Bakery is great and they have gas as well! Too bad they can't get connected to the C trail. I gather that over the years several non-OFSC links to C trail have come and gone. There was a link made across Campbell's Lake/Boy Lake earlier this year but that has since been closed.

Whitestone Lodge has awesome food and is pretty close to Ardbeg....plus the building is really impressive

Actually closer to Dunchurch....? same one?

http://www.whitestonelakeresort.com/

But was wondering if anyone has been there lately and can report on facilities and service etc.. A couple of sledders on this forum some years ago showed up to check in for the night, then were left all alone by the owners for the whole evening...no food, nothing. If service and facilities are good it would make another destination in the area.

yes, Whitestone lake resort is much closer to Dunchurch but the original post was referencing Ardbeg

I was up there last year and again this year (couple weekends ago) and there was no complaints at all. Facilities are excellent and the food was great.

Every time I have been up there it has been FULL of sledders (staying over and stopping in for grub) so they must be doing something right

yes, Whitestone lake resort is much closer to Dunchurch but the original post was referencing Ardbeg

I was up there last year and again this year (couple weekends ago) and there was no complaints at all. Facilities are excellent and the food was great.Every time I have been up there it has been FULL of sledders (staying over and stopping in for grub) so they must be doing something right

Thanks for the good info.Haven't had this place in mind but would actually make a good short run destination from my camp as we sometimes head over that way to feed a few apples to the deer on Ahmic Lake. (raining out right now so not sure this year or next!)

Thanks for the good info.Haven't had this place in mind but would actually make a good short run destination from my camp as we sometimes head over that way to feed a few apples to the deer on Ahmic Lake. (raining out right now so not sure this year or next!)

Stayed there one night last year on our "bridges" tour. Booked a room and also the 'meal plan'. We enjoyed our stay. Give it a go, Slomo.

Stayed there one night last year on our "bridges" tour. Booked a room and also the 'meal plan'. We enjoyed our stay. Give it a go, Slomo.

I can second STG on that recommendation, slomo [oh, the shame of it all!...]

I have stayed at Whitestone Lake Resort twice in the last 5 years, and had good experiences (food and accommodation) both times.

Archived