Interactive "Trail Guide"

SlowTouringGuy

Is it updated somewhat 'real-time' versus the old reporting structure which was, like, Thursdays or something?

Does it get updated on any day or at any time that a club reports a status change?

In our district, we send the status twice weekly to a district person who updates the map. I don't know if additional updates are allowed.

I do not know if other districts / clubs do it differently or more often.

I know. I don't know much do I :wtf:

I know the old system was twice a week, but changes can me done once the district is aware of them in real time. So in other words it is all up to who is doing the entering.

Here & now its when they have time to retun your call, I think there is a line up to update.

Well we got 60 km limited so far, Just need to find the rest of the trails in the system.

should be more but the trails are missing from the system now?

Well we got 60 km limited so far, Just need to find the rest of the trails in the system.

should be more but the trails are missing from the system now?

you mean that your club has trails open but you cannot find them on the interactive system in order to post them as open??? I would be ont he phone (you probably already have been) with the OFSC and give them proper hell...at the end of the day they and the system is negatively impacting your club's ability to service its members

you mean that your club has trails open but you cannot find them on the interactive system in order to post them as open??? I would be ont he phone (you probably already have been) with the OFSC and give them proper hell...at the end of the day they and the system is negatively impacting your club's ability to service its members

Have a look at the map. There are trails in the French/Alban area that are not appearing. Including the C trail from Key River all the way to BonAir. Abducted by aliens, methinks !

so how pray tell are we suppossed to know where these things are then...on that topic of interactive trails. I got a phone call last night to go riding..the interactive said it was closed but the person at the club said it was open...there were not "Trail Closed Signs" but what it I got stopped, what would I talked to so and so at the club they said it was open....as the cop is writing the ticket saying I dont care it is not open to me

I would 'expect' (read hope) that before he even patrols a trail for trespassing, he would have up to date information from the club.

I would 'expect' (read hope) that before he even patrols a trail for trespassing, he would have up to date information from the club.

There's really no reason for the Interactive Guide to be not considered authoritative. With today's technology, you can update the trail's status right from the trail the second it is considered open. If the club members are saying something other than what the guide says, we have a serious problem.

There's really no reason for the Interactive Guide to be not considered authoritative. With today's technology, you can update the trail's status right from the trail the second it is considered open. If the club members are saying something other than what the guide says, we have a serious problem.

In theory, you are correct. However, in practice, that is not the case. See the posts above to get really confused.

It seems that, while the clubs determine the status of the trails, and the IAFG is the 'official' public notification of the status, the clubs cannot update the IAFG. :wtf:

It seems that, while the clubs determine the status of the trails, and the IAFG is the 'official' public notification of the status, the clubs cannot update the IAFG. :wtf:

I've heard it all before. I just like to poke fun. It always sounds like the lead in to a joke... How many snowmobile trail volunteers does it take to press a button? ;)

In theory, you are correct. However, in practice, that is not the case. See the posts above to get really confused.

It really has to be considered the authority. Otherwise we go back to clubs posting trail conditions independently on their own websites (which I loved, btw) instead of posting a link on the club website to the OFSC IAFG as many do now.

Clubs could update their websites hourly if they so chose to do and some clubs posted when a trail was last groomed and when a trail is scheduled to be groomed.

If they choose to update hourly now, it should be reflected real-time on the IAFG. Clubs should be able to update directly.

.. How many snowmobile trail volunteers does it take to press a button? ;)

(2 x #Clubs) + (1 x #Districts) + 12 in Barrie - x transfers to LucVille = pressed button (E&OE) (less 60km of missing trail)

Why is everyone so concerned with trail status? ImE with our club, it takes no less than next day to update the status of a trail. Msr office handles the update for the site as it has our own trail status page, with a little more info (as per guidelines). Www.msrsnowtrails.com

But I just dont understand the fascination with online trail status? Is it the equally as obsessive tresspassing topic? Ppl are deathly afraid of riding where they shouldnt because a website says green or red?

Websites and technology can fail at times. Im sure its a glitch. Pretty sure I had to reup my account here after a very long hiadus...

But I just dont understand the fascination with online trail status? Is it the equally as obsessive tresspassing topic?

Exactly. Riding on closed trails upsets a lot of people. So if the website is wrong, people are going to get upset and we'll lose trails in the process. In the interest of keeping everyone happy, the website needs to be accurate at all times. There is no other reasonable way to relay the information.

In a perfect world we would all be more relaxed on both sides. If people weren't freaking out about people driving on closed trails then people wouldn't need to be obsessed about the trail status. But I don't see those things changing, well... ever.

LucVille

No offence to the Dubreuil family, but it is easier to spell.

Are there any web design folks here? Why have "they" designed the ITG to open up as a popup that hardly fills the screen? Why not open in a new window or go to a different page? The whole design of the OFSC's website sucks. I imagine w/ all the "content" it isn't that quick to load. Too bad it couldn't be "cleaner". You shouldn't have to go thru 5 steps before you see the guide for crying out loud. The ITG should be a clearly marked "button" on the home page.

Bro' (30cal4me) was wondering how difficult it is for trails to be removed from the ITG, marked w/ XXXXs or noted as "Closed for Season"?. Dist' 15 has omitted L125 this season because of logging. Leaving a trail as red & noted closed, leaves the impression there is the possibility that the trail could be open this season.

Another irritant, which I have forwarded to OFSC, is that the lines for the Club trails are much too narrow and hard to see unless you zoom in a couple of times. Unless you zoom, you might not even notice a trail is even Open or Limited.

Good for you! Coming from a club exec' that may hold more weight than Joe Snowmobiler.

Why have "they" designed the ITG to open up as a popup that hardly fills the screen?

Mostly because the maps are provided by a third party. The popup is the easiest way to keep the external service a part of the OFSC's own site. You can access it directly through this URL though: http://ofsc.mapbase.ca/viewer/

I wouldn't go as far to say that the OFSC website sucks, it is just designed for people involved with the OFSC instead of the public at large. Several years ago I provided some rough design ideas that would have made the site more rider centric, but there really wasn't any interest in deviating from what we still have today.

I wouldn't be against taking another stab, but official policy says volunteers cannot touch the technology. Oh well.

Archived