Has Anyone Crossed Over To Drummond Island Michigan??

MXZ Man

A few of us have some sled buddies over in Michigan. We were considering crossing over to Michigan from Bruce Mines/St. Joseph island. The plan was to travel across to Drummond Island Michigan and then cross over to Detour on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to do a bit of riding.

We read that a crossing is established each year using pine trees to mark the trail. Once on Drummond Island, you then go through customs.

Has anyone done this before? :? We would like to learn more about this.

did that ride 3 year ago and although I have no problem with crossing my local lake today in the f350 I got nervous crossing the big water.. whole crossing all that kept going thru my head was that song about the Edmond Fitzgerald

Thanks for the reply satrat...We will have to confirm the conditions prior to making the crossing should we decide to do it.

I have done that trip many times,,,,from Drummond Island you take a ferry back to the mainland.

The treeline to Canada goes to Saint Joseph Island,Bruce Mines or Thessalon.The last few years it has got marked late,or not at all.I would never cross without the treeline,and even then I would check with locals before going.Bruce Mines will generally be marked first along with Saint Joseph Island.

Thanks for the reply satrat...We will have to confirm the conditions prior to making the crossing should we decide to do it.

Thats in my district, (13) I rode part of it last year, I turned to go to .Thessalon.... check with the local district office A.S.P.A (Algoma Snow Plan Afiliation)

http://www.algomatrails.com/ District website. Our district president is from the Bruce mine club so he Knows the area.

how long is that crossing?

did that ride 3 year ago and although I have no problem with crossing my local lake today in the f350 I got nervous crossing the big water.. whole crossing all that kept going thru my head was that song about the Edmond Fitzgerald

And that is hilarious....

Holy $h!T I just looked on google maps...you guys are crossing from Thesslon to the island.....or from St Joesph's to the island???

Thanks cehyoopers and Groomer Guy for the info.

I believe the distance from St. Joseph Island to Drummond Island is approx. 15 km.

We spoke to many riders in Thessalon and Bruce Mines who did it the year we were there (2009).

Usually a late season run, when ice is best.

Definitely on my list for this year.

A few of us have some sled buddies over in Michigan. We were considering crossing over to Michigan from Bruce Mines/St. Joseph island. The plan was to travel across to Drummond Island Michigan and then cross over to Detour on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to do a bit of riding.

We read that a crossing is established each year using pine trees to mark the trail. Once on Drummond Island, you then go through customs.

Has anyone done this before? :? We would like to learn more about this.

The US customs office was moved to the Marina on Drumond Island and has strict hours and days that they are open. I will try to research to be sure that the days and hours have not changed. Be sure to do your homework or you might find it will be days before you can actually cross.

I have made about 10 round trips and as far as I can figure the only way into Canada is through the customs on St. Joseph Island. It is a great system which uses a phone to let you register and do have all your info ready. You are given a number you must keep with you if you are from the US. Not sure but I think you can do this direction 24 hrs. per day as opposed to the specific hours on the US side.

There is a big sign when leaving St Joseph Island so read it carefully to be sure you can comply.

If it is marked and officially opened I would not fear the crossing, but do not get too far off the track. Once a snow storm came up and we had a very hard time finding the next tree. I was about to go back before the tracks were covered, but there was the next tree.

It is a great trip if snow conditions are good on Drumond. The Ferry runs almost around the clock. Be careful if you have studs. I had one catch and tear out of my track while loading on the boat one night.

This will be a later in the season trip, but I also plan to start from Michigan once this year. Last couple years my plans did not pan out since the conditions on the islands were never good.

Think cold and then think snow!

they used to use the 24 hour call in on both sides for legal border crossings. the first ice bridge (treeline) open is usually drummond to st joe. the straight accross drummond to thessalon depends on the weather, and sometimes never gets fully treelined. i have only crossed direct to thessalon once in the last 15 years. there are times when the big lake looks like sea ice, and it has heaves, and broken ice sticking up all over. when it is like that, you have to jump the islands. ski

having hit a 6 foot ice ridge many years ago I can say from experience it is not something you want to do , sled was written off and i came damn close and that was on a small lake at night in blowing snow. Ice ridges out there with wind tend to be closer to 15 feet high so watch where you are going and take your time

You can call US Customs in Sault, Michigan. (906) 632-2631

The customs office should still be out on the water at the Marina. You need to go directly to it before riding onto the island or you could be fined.

The actual days and hours it will be open this year have not yet been announced, but will be in the next few weeks according to the person I spoke to this morning.

I was told that last year the US Customs Office on Drumond Island was open Tuesday through Saturday from Noon to 8:00 PM sharp. It was closed Sunday and Monday. This office is only open while it has personel present. There is no phone like in Canada!

I think you can head to Canada all the time, but coming to the US is very much restricted to the special hours this Customs Office is open.

Watch for the announcement from the US Customs Office. The Ice Bridge from Drumond to St. Joe is 11 miles and from Drumond to Thessalon is 18 miles when conditions allow. I am not sure if it is OK to go direct to Thessalon from Drumond due to the reporting on the Canadian side.

The Treeline is usually put in from mid to late January and only if ice conditions are good. Ice can change without warning and I have seen it push up and down leaving huge walls and or open water, but the shorter Ice Bridge from St. Joseph to Drumond hopps through some islands and that strech has always been without issues during my 20+ crossings. Maybe it is more sheltered from wind?

It is not like the old days when you could pretty much go back and forth as you wanted.

Thanks for all the great information AC+YA.

Wildbill, let me know what you find regarding the electronic US entry.

Just need Mother Nature to do her thing to make this trip happen.

For cruising by boat there is some method of electronically entering the states.I will look into this as it should then maybe work for sleds too.

The closed days have caused scheduling problems for me as I usually need to return Sunday or Monday. I don't think you can do the electronic entry into the US by sled. If you find a way, I would love to know how. Please let us know.

Thanks

Archived