Service Two 4 strokes this season yes or no?

capster59

The main jets in a Vector (and RX) are HUGE...they don't go lean like that. The tiny pilot plug up first and the sled won't start or run on all 3....to blow one of these things up you need help....lots of help.

The vector will still need its' carbs cleaned so it'll run and as everyone else stated oil changes would be a good idea on both and go over the skids to make sure nothing got rusty in storage. How many miles on the sleds? If you've got over 4500kms make sure you get the exhaust donuts changed out..

Combine a layer of shellac thick enough to reduce all jets by a couple of sizes stale gas and -30 first drive and boom .

Combine a layer of shellac thick enough to reduce all jets by a couple of sizes stale gas and -30 first drive and boom .

If they have a layer of varnish that thick they don't move...the pilot plug up first because they are tiny...It takes boost or N2O to blow these things up. Even split carb boots won't do it lol. Yamaha hasn't jetted anything that close to the edge since 1994 :).

If they have a layer of varnish that thick they don't move...the pilot plug up first because they are tiny...It takes boost or N2O to blow these things up. Even split carb boots won't do it lol. Yamaha hasn't jetted anything that close to the edge since 1994 :).

Read again the combo seen it twice no other reasons. Best to clean the carbs and save the trouble. You would not see it because you maintain your stuff very well. They will and do fail. You just have to work hard enough at messing them up.

i would agree with the varnish and low octane count if we were talking about a 2 stroke motor but, on the 4 strokers literally you would have to plug the main completely off, and only run on the pilots to get them to have a problem and then, it wouldnt melt down, it would just not make power.

lean down a two stroke, they will run great... then seize. lean on a four stroke, and they just lay down on power. it would take ALOT to burn a four stroker down, sled or bike.

doesnt mean you dont need to maintain them, just means it takes more to kill them. ski

i would agree with the varnish and low octane count if we were talking about a 2 stroke motor but, on the 4 strokers literally you would have to plug the main completely off, and only run on the pilots to get them to have a problem and then, it wouldnt melt down, it would just not make power.

lean down a two stroke, they will run great... then seize. lean on a four stroke, and they just lay down on power. it would take ALOT to burn a four stroker down, sled or bike.

doesnt mean you dont need to maintain them, just means it takes more to kill them. ski

I don't recomend finding out the hard way it is expensive two have found out the hard way. Over the years I everytime that I think that I have seen every possible way of breaking a sled someone proves me wrong. I would agree with you if I did not see it myself twice 1 RX1 i vector.

hoestly i have 32000km between my vector and apex, the sled you never used, drain the fuel fill with fresh fuel and a can of seafoam run it till it's warm and regrease (grease may harden up over time)it it will be good to go oil isn't gonna break down or get acidic from sitting and getting it good and warm will remove any moisture from it, clean the clutches if they were stored with the belts on and double check all rubber boots and cooling hoses/pipes for leaks after you warmed it up (coolant pipes coming out of the head sometimes get corroded and leak simple $3 o-ring to fix it easy in the garage not so much on the trail. grease check over clean clutches

The sled with 200k i would just change oil not filter, grease and check over again service clutches if stored with the belt on, run it again adding seafoam is a great way to clean fuel systems and remove water from the system, check speedo bearing in tunnel

How do you check spedo bearing? By the time I get access to it, I just change it. I find they are good for 10k km. Can u run sea foam thru a two stroke? What kind of dosage do you use?

How do you check spedo bearing? By the time I get access to it, I just change it. I find they are good for 10k km.

i pull the seal out of the bearing with a pick to check it if it's full of rust i change it, if not clean pack with grease and install seal

-Take off the belt

-put the parking brake on, then remove the secondary clutch bolt. If the clutch still turns hold down the hand brake as well.

-remember the locations of all the washers in front and behind the clutch.

-pop the seal off the jack shaft bearing and clean it out with WD40 then using a seringe add new grease to the bearing.

- push the seal back on.

Bellow the secondary shaft is the drive shaft bearing.

Remove the 3 bolts that hold the plate and remove the seedo pick up.

-pop off the seal and clean it like the first one. Then put it all back together.

Be sure not to add too much grease as it may puch the seal off the other side.

Do you need a clutch re alignment tool? If they need changing you just loosen set screw on bearing shaft and pull it out?

Ok thanks for the info. I always just paid a guy I know to change the bearings for me. I will pop off the seals and take alot next week. What is a good torque for secondary clutch bolt?

Have to chime in as no one has brought up the most likely candidate for time induced failure... charge the battery (use a proper charger like Tekmate) mind you it's hard to kiss a valve if you can't get it started ;-)

When the temps drop the same battery that got you running in the fall might not be as capable... cheers cr

That's why I always have booster cables as part of my emergency kit.

Yes, great Idea. I know I can pull start my phazer off the clutch at -20 but not sure about the bigger 4 strokes. That is as long as the battery can prime the fuel injection.

I run my sleds weekly through the off seasons.

How long do you run them for? A 5 or 10min run can do more harm than letting them just sit.

You need a good 20min run to get everything hot and dried out, from storage.

How long do you run them for? A 5 or 10min run can do more harm than letting them just sit.

You need a good 20min run to get everything hot and dried out, from storage.

True story: when the RX-1 first shipped, Yamaha started getting warranty claims on plug fouling before the riding really started. Turns out, the engine was so unique sounding at the time, owners were firing them up in the garage for buddy to hear and shutting them down w/o ever getting them up to operating temperature... not so bad now with FI but still, with 4-strokes if you're going to fire them, let em run until warm

i start ours every 4 weeks throughout the storage season. i let them idle till ALL the heat exchangers are warm to the touch. then i engage the clutches, and spin the track up, to clean out the loading from idling. then shut em down till the next time. i store them with a full tank of fuel, with stabil added to the gas. about one week before we are to use them for the first time, all fuel is drained, and put in the cars. then, fresh local fuel is added to each sled. ski

True story: when the RX-1 first shipped, Yamaha started getting warranty claims on plug fouling before the riding really started. Turns out, the engine was so unique sounding at the time, owners were firing them up in the garage for buddy to hear and shutting them down w/o ever getting them up to operating temperature... not so bad now with FI but still, with 4-strokes if you're going to fire them, let em run until warm

but still very important if the plugs are not heated up enough they still glaze over and foul.

The first black RX we recieved at the dealership had two sets of plugs before the first week was out lol....After that we stopped idling it....and started racing it :). Trying to get enough time on that motor for it to loosen up was a challenge...In August lol.

Archived