Service Two 4 strokes this season yes or no?

capster59

ok so last winter my kids hockey was amazing and I only got to take out my Apex one weeknd for 200 miles. The other used 4 stroke didnt get out at all. They were both fully serviced before last season.

I dont think I need to service them this fall???

If they were stored in doors in a climate controlled garage. You should be good to

Go. Otherwise I would just

Change the oil and filter.

They both had oil/filters changed and full checklist of everything else. One had new plugs.

Change the oil... it will become acidic and break down sitting in the engine and double check all the grease fittings. I imagine you had fuel stabilizer but be aware that dependent on the amount it doesn't preserve the fuel forever. You may want to siphon the fuel and use in the snowblower rather than the sled. Fill the sled with fresh fuel as a precaution.

Thanks All! Summer was good.

looking for a new job tho....

I hear yeah. I couldn't stand manufacturing after 15 years. Now I farm, big change but I like the challenge.

Vector, Bought is used last year and never drove it

I barely did 400 K last Winter on my GSX 1200. I did take a lot of care when storing it and I run my sleds weekly through the off seasons. I am only going to lube and do oil myself. Prior to that I had a full BRP service done on it. I would take the time to really check things over but I can't see it needing another full service if it was maintained in the off season.

No need for it, I agree. They just check this check that. Take a good look and clean the clutches well. Better off to save your money for when something does go wrong. My 2 cents.

carbed

Missed of been pretty bad. I only cleaned my carbs once In 10 years. Weren't duty so I never bothered checking again. Won't the sled run like crap and backfire, if the carbs are dirty?

Missed of been pretty bad. I only cleaned my carbs once In 10 years. Weren't duty so I never bothered checking again. Won't the sled run like crap and backfire, if the carbs are dirty?

It only takes 5-10secs at WOT on a 2stroke from a little peice of crap in the bottom of your carbs and u need a rope,when they are backfiring etc its usually in your idle/choke circut but when the main jet is starving the motor and u dont feel the bog its done in a matter of secs.same goes for the sdi's injectors need flow tested at least every 2 seasons and worked thru the complet RPM cycle just to be safe.Etecs well we wont go there but I have heard the 800 problem with the locator pin maybe extended to 2015.Anybody that does not have BEST on there 800 I think it maybe $$$ very well spent.

It only takes 5-10secs at WOT on a 2stroke from a little peice of crap in the bottom of your carbs and u need a rope,when they are backfiring etc its usually in your idle/choke circut but when the main jet is starving the motor and u dont feel the bog its done in a matter of secs.same goes for the sdi's injectors need flow tested at least every 2 seasons and worked thru the complet RPM cycle just to be safe.Etecs well we wont go there but I have heard the 800 problem with the locator pin maybe extended to 2015.Anybody that does not have BEST on there 800 I think it maybe $$$ very well spent.

Very good solid advice!

only had a thin layer of shellac on the four strokes you overheat a valve it sticks and meets the piston and the rest is ugly.

only had a thin layer of shellac on the four strokes you overheat a valve it sticks and meets

the piston and the rest is ugly.

Wow had no idea a carbed four stroke would do

that. Could a plugged fuel injector on newer sleds suffer from a plugged injector? Happens on vehicles all the time, never hear about it causing damage to the engine.

Wow had no idea a carbed four stroke would do

that. Could a plugged fuel injector on newer sleds suffer from a plugged injector? Happens on vehicles all the time, never hear about it causing damage to the engine.

Vould happen if your sled is not running right get it fixed.

My opinion is a little work now might save alot of work later.

only had a thin layer of shellac on the four strokes you overheat a valve it sticks and meets the piston and the rest is ugly.

The main jets in a Vector (and RX) are HUGE...they don't go lean like that. The tiny pilot plug up first and the sled won't start or run on all 3....to blow one of these things up you need help....lots of help.

The vector will still need its' carbs cleaned so it'll run and as everyone else stated oil changes would be a good idea on both and go over the skids to make sure nothing got rusty in storage. How many miles on the sleds? If you've got over 4500kms make sure you get the exhaust donuts changed out..

Archived