Greetings Folks

Boooya

New to the forums and new to Sleding :)

Just bouight my first sled 2006 Yamaha Venture 1L 3cly 4 stroke.

Did alot of research on sleds and decided on this one to suit my needs.

Been riding motorcycles for years and needed something to cure my love for the machine over the winter so pulled the trigger on this sport after many a year considering it.

Looking forward to learning about the sport and meeting up with fellow riders for a day out on the snow.

Couple quick questions.

I have 0 gear, nothing at all. Recomendations on decent priced quality gear?

I have a Garmin Nuvi 550, waterproof and im guessing will be fine on the sled also. Is there a way to get trail maps installed on this?

And last.

My sled's track is not studded, im being told i need to get it studded with 96 studs??? Is this true, or am I fine the way it is?

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum Boooya, lot of yammi riders on here, about the gear, well I'm not shy about checking Kijiji out once in while, some good deals at times, some junk also. Just research the product, know what it's worth, make an offer. Don't have studs on my sled but I'm told I should.

Welcome to the forum and the sport. For riding if you are ever in the Port Severn/Honey Harbour area let us know. We are always happy to have others join us for a ride. As for gear a lot depends on where you ride. Where we are we ride a lot of ice on lakes and Georgian Bay. If your area has ice to deal with get a floater suit for sure. It will definitely save your life.

Look for a very warm suit. Not much fun if you are cold. Suits with zippered vents are great especially for late season riding. Open up the vents and let some cool air in. I prefer bib pants with a high back and a longer jacket. I have had the shorter bomber jacket and drafts coming up your back on a cold day or snow dust is not fun. My wife and I both splurged for Mustang floater suits. Pricey but fit, comfort and features such as venting and drainage made it worth it for us.

The other things to invest in are good thermal underwear ie. micro fleece. Most days I wear a pair of sweats and a long sleeve Tshirt under the suit. The sweats because of the flexibility and comfort. The micro flleece is for the extra cold days. We were out last year at -29 and were okay.

For socks we have Bass Pro shops Redhead hunting socks.... about $12 a pair but they have a lifetime guarantee and feel like you are walking on a cushion. We love them.

For a helmet you can go open face with goggles or full face. I prefer full face. We use the Bombardier modular, I don't need to look cool. We usually wear the cotton balaclava under the helmet... about $10 at Royal Distributing. They help to keep the inside of the helmet clean and protect from some seepage of cold air around your neck and chin. If you go full face and wear glasses go with a modular helmet. The front flips up making it easy to put on and off without taking your glasses off. A lot of them have a tinted face shield that slides down behind the main shield for high glare days so you don't need sunglasses.

You may want to consider a heated visor. Helps fogging or you get a quality breath deflector. On our helmets the breath deflector is a rubber piece that fits your face well and vents out the sides of the helmets with an absorbent pad to collect the moisture as your breath condenses.

We prefer mitts as we find them warmer on the hands. I have bought 4 different pair of gloves but keep going back to the mitts. The gloves just don't seem to have the warmth I like. I do however keep a lighter pair of gloves in the sled in case I need to work on something that goes wrong.

The main thing is to keep warm. The last one on the warm front is the boots. I wear what is typically referenced as a snow mobile boot style. Rubber bottom and fabric shaft. Ours are Sorrels rated for -70. If you break down having all the warmth you can muster can be a life saver. Baffin also makes a quality boot, A lot of this all comes down to personal comfort but I can't stress enough the need for warmth or you will not enjoy the sport if you are always cold.

As for studs a lot depends on where and how you ride. I have never had studs and only once wished I had them. Went down to a friends cottage and at the end of the driveway found ourselves on skating rink quality ice. We had to turn the sleds around by hand and walk beside them for a couple of feet until we had grip.

If you are an aggresive rider then you may want studs. I am considering putting some in for the benefit of throwing a bit more snow at the heat exchanger on hard pack trails but still undecided. Like I said 10+ years and haven't really needed them,

Happy riding. Let us know how you make out.

Couchrocket: been keeping an eye on Kijiji, that's were I found my sled ;).

02sled: great advise thank you will defiantly take into consideration. And I'm not sure were I'll be riding yet, love in Barrie and I know there are a lot I sleds in the area but I have never been.

I have a total of 0 hours logged on a sled lol.

Morning. Royal Dist normally has some good deals on clothing. Have to agree with the BRP Modular lid. Can't help with the gps issue.

Studs are a well discussed subject on this forum. I have always ( well once hp increased from 38) ran a minimum number, either 72 or 96 for icy conditions and as stated to pick and throw more snow on the exchangers.

Welcome to the board!

We have a huge sale going on until Dec 4th We have everything you need for sledding and you could win A five hundred dollar shopping spree or some of thousands of dollars in prizes.

We're is this sale?

Couchrocket: been keeping an eye on Kijiji, that's were I found my sled ;).

02sled: great advise thank you will defiantly take into consideration. And I'm not sure were I'll be riding yet, love in Barrie and I know there are a lot I sleds in the area but I have never been.

I have a total of 0 hours logged on a sled lol.

welcome boo...great riding around barrie....come join the sno voyageurs club....meeting tonite...1359 snow valley rd...7 30

We're is this sale?

Rosseau Road Powersport and Marine is located at:

25 Blackstone Crane Lake Road Rosseau Road, Ontario P0C 1K0

Exit 213 Highway 400 the south to Blackstone/Crane Lake Road

705.378.5217 or 1.800.344.6620 Fax 705.378.0797

Just off the 400 south of Parry Sound.

billjen@rosseauroad.on.ca

Click here to take a tour :

http://rosseauroad.ca/new/?page_id=16

Welcome to the Ontario Conditions Forum. Take up White Dragon on his offer if you can - it's the fastest way to get into the sport and meet some people to ride with.

There's also tons of information exchanged on this board from the types of questions you're asking to saddle-bag trips, places to stay, places to eat, trail conditions and the like. There may even be a little silliness from time to time.

ENJOY !!

Welcome Boooya! Hope you enjoy the forum and the sport.

02Sled's advice is quite good! I don't necessarily agree about the helmets, but I am a firm believer in a Snell or at least an ECE rating as opposed to simply a DOT rating. Being a biker, you may already be familiar with the various ratings.

For clothing and equipment, it would be a good idea to check out Rosseau Road. Bill and Jen are both avid sledders and will not steer you wrong.

As for studs, I strongly recommend them. I think the Venture has a 144 inch track, IIRC, so you will need more than 96 studs. that would be the correct number for a 121" track. Again, I would suggest you talk to Bill (WildBill on the forum). He is a wealth of information. Just don't tell him I said that! :ssh: He'll never get his head through the door! :poke2: :poke2: :poke2:

I'll skip commenting on the gear (good advice so far) and GPS (I'm technologically stunted) but allow me to offer my two cents on the studding issue. The first time you try to stop on a icy hill or corner, you'll wish you had them. They are less expensive than even a minor "incident", most who use them will consider them a safety item first, a performance item second.

You can install them yourself, its a great way to save some of your cash. However, although the act of installing is easy (drill hole, push stud through hole, install backer, install nut, tighten, repeat x ???) the correct way is almost an art. You have to consider cutter size, stud type, stud length, backer type, quantity, placement, pattern and of course, tunnel protection. A bad studding job can ruin your day ... and then some.

Welcome to the sport ... and you've come to the right place. There are alot of people here that hold alot of information about alot of different aspects of the sport, and are willing to help and share.

Cheers.

All great info here so I will only add that you should take a look around on TY4Stroke if you have not already. You can get some more great advice on studding (length, quantity, and others) and some possible issues directly related to your sled.

Welcome to the sport!

Welcome to the board!

We have a huge sale going on until Dec 4th We have everything you need for sledding and you could win A five hundred dollar shopping spree or some of thousands of dollars in prizes.

Wild Bill is worth a visit... he is a dedicated volunteer in the local sled club along with most of his family. I don't think he would steer you wrong. One of the things I like to do is support the retailers who support the sport and Bill is one of them.

Wild Bill is worth a visit... he is a dedicated volunteer in the local sled club along with most of his family. I don't think he would steer you wrong. One of the things I like to do is support the retailers who support the sport and Bill is one of them.

Will do, gonna try to find some time this Saturday to pay him a visit.

- Definetly put this site in your favourites... http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/

- Being Barrie...you have access to AWESOME trails.

- I rode up there last year, and had an awesome time!

- Don't scrimp when it comes to the clothing. Be warm and comfortable!!

- Studs? Oh yeah!!!

- Definetly put this site in your favourites... http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/

- Being Barrie...you have access to AWESOME trails.

- I rode up there last year, and had an awesome time!

- Don't scrimp when it comes to the clothing. Be warm and comfortable!!

- Studs? Oh yeah!!!

http://www.ty4stroke.com for the 4 stroke sleds :right_on:

- Yeah, the ty4stroke is a good site, but being a newbie, he'd appreciate the other part too!

- Thanks Yamahas!

Archived