Snowmobile Lift

yamahas

It cannot be any worse then the one at royal...i got the new and improved one at royal and the cranking mechanism stopped working just after a year. there is seemingly no way to fix it but the steel tubing is sturdy.

It cannot be any worse then the one at royal...i got the new and improved one at royal and the cranking mechanism stopped working just after a year. there is seemingly no way to fix it but the steel tubing is sturdy.

looks like a job for a good old style car jack fix , one from the 60`s 70`s and 80`s single post rachete type, weld a couple pivot points on and there you go. also wonder if acuator arm of a old 10 foot satelite dish would have the balls to run it ? , or just a trailer tounge jack , #3 i do not have laying around so that is why i mention last.

I built a lot last year in auto shop class. There might be some left. I can check.

Add a hydraulic actuator arm in place. It would not have to be a hefty one, just strong enough for the purpose. It could be operated manually. I thnk Princess still has hand hydraulic pumps.

What I don't like about the one at Royal (and by the looks of it, the Princess Auto unit) is there is no cross bracing at the "rear" of the unit. The two pieces of square tube that form the base torque out when working on the sled or rolling it around ... a little un nerving, especially with the 4 stroker up there. The mar-lift is a better unit (in my opinion) or tack a section of flat bar across the rear on the underside for added stability.

I prefer the cable/winch type mechanism as well, that tube/crank assembly is a PIA.

I have one of the ones from Royal. I changed the jack for a heavier (5000 lbs) screw jack from PA. I also changed the drive on the jack to accept a 3/4" square drive and drive it with a 1/2" drill and a 4:1 torque multiplier that fits the 3/4 inch drive. Lifts and lowers much easier now. :D

The standard jack may have worked but my initial attempt was to be able to use the hand crank. The bigger jack helped but it was still a bit of a chore to lift the sled with the hand crank,

I agree about the lack of cross bracing and have thought about a quick bolt in brace for when the sled is in the air. However, despite some movement, the sled is still quite stable, even when rolling it across the garage floor.

Thanks for all the replys.

I have been thinking of making one but I figured the price of the material and time it would take vs. this sale price is not really worth it? Plus I would then want to buy a welder since I am sure I could find a lot of stuff I can use it on...

I could easily add some bracing if I find the stand torques a bit.

Where could I find the Mar-Lift?

awesome suggestions sledjunk i was wondering how to fix mine. so what does a screwjack look like? is that the proper name for it at princess auto? thanks

Where could I find the Mar-Lift?

http://www.mar-lift.com/Home

Substantially more expensive, but I'll use the Mar-lift before the other any time.

They have been at the sled show in the past, I bought mine at closing on a Sunday and saved a few bucks ... maybe call and ask ..

MARLIFT the way to go for sure. I had the Princess Auto one for a year and sold it to try the marlift and its awsome. Friend of mine built a couple also just like the marlift. Cranks up easy and I have the wheel kit and rolls perfectly, on a new concrete floor that is. I went right to the dealer as he is only minutes south of Ottawa. I did break a little cheap spring that came with it and I went back and he just gave me another, and stronger one at that. Will be either gettting another one for the other sled this winter or buying one off my friend. They are located on First Line Rd I think. Dont go on that in case I'm wrong. Magestic Auto Restorers is who builds them. You can find them on the web and last year he had lots already built sitting in a trailer. He also has a youtube video of them in operation.

MARLIFT the way to go for sure. ..... They are located on First Line Rd I think. Dont go on that in case I'm wrong. Magestic Auto Restorers is who builds them. You can find them on the web

I often see Marlift at the Toronto Snowmobile Show (this weekend).

Maybe a 'show special'?

I made mine and put a 1/2 drill on it because the crank takes forever.Got the plans over at totallyamaha in the tech section.It works excellent.

Thanks Guys, that is about a half hour drive for me (Princess is an hour roughly in the same direction). I think I'll stop by and check them out. I always thought "you get what you pay for" so I will definitely check them out.

I can't attend the Toronto show, I have school on week ends.

The one on TY shows some welding that needs to be done. I don't know anyone that welds. I could do it but no longer have access to a welder.

Thanks for the suggestions!

MARLIFT the way to go for sure. I had the Princess Auto one for a year and sold it to try the marlift and its awsome. Friend of mine built a couple also just like the marlift. Cranks up easy and I have the wheel kit and rolls perfectly, on a new concrete floor that is. I went right to the dealer as he is only minutes south of Ottawa. I did break a little cheap spring that came with it and I went back and he just gave me another, and stronger one at that. Will be either gettting another one for the other sled this winter or buying one off my friend. They are located on First Line Rd I think. Dont go on that in case I'm wrong. Magestic Auto Restorers is who builds them. You can find them on the web and last year he had lots already built sitting in a trailer. He also has a youtube video of them in operation.

I used the Mar Lift in my shop for almost 17 years and had great luck it was used everyday often many times and held up awesome.

Marlift hasnt been going to shows for a few years now. Would definatly recomend them though, or one like it.

Well I picked up the one at princess auto. Figured they are prety good with returnns so if it dosent look like it will hold I'll just bring it back. With the difference in price I can send my floats in to get the parts replacend and turned into Float elovs.

Thanks for alll the replys.

Give us the low down once you've had a chance to use it.

Archived