Anybody fish Esnagi Lake

Cudney Racing

Going to Esnagi Lake in about 2 weeks fishing and wondered if anybody else has ever fished there, trying to decide on what tackle to take, thanks. - Bill

Bill,

the only times I been there is by sled during the winter. That lake is 15 Km from my house. During the summer we can't access by road due to roads restriction and fly in is to expensive for me for 15 Km lolll

Bill, i have been there in the winter as well ;) live bait, minnows, leaches, crawler harnesses ect... always work well with the "eyes".

for pike, make sure to take a bunch of steel leaders, and #5 mepps spinners with feather tails or bucktails. you dont need the HUGE muskie type baits, the #5's work great. my favorite colors are chrome blades with rainbow trout coloring with white tails. chrome, orange, firetiger colored jigs and spoons work well too.

esnagi lake has a decent perch population, as well as some very large whitefish. we have caught ALL species in the the lake, with simple #6 snelled hook and a minnow fished about 6-18" off the bottom. if you get a pike on that set up, they usually will cut the line, the perch, whitefish, and walleyes you generally will catch with this set up.

some people hate catching pike, so the above set up with no leader, works well for that. personally i like catching pike, they are fun to catch and release. i like to take a heavy leather welding type glove and a LOONG set of pliers or hemostats to unhook the fish. even with the pike, i can grab their lower jaw with the glove, open their mouths wide, and remove the hooks with ease.

have fun, take LOTS OF PICS!!!! this is one of our very favorite areas to vacation, summer and winter. enjoy!!!

ski

Thanks a lot "ski" I have already packed some of the Mepps, but I will get some more and will pick up more leaders. Every lake is different, here where I fish here, the best is flourescent rapalas for walleyes, in Little Abitibi further north it's a Chartruse 1/4oz jig head and chartruse tails. Every lake has it's quirks for sure. I will take lots of pictures for sure. Ski here is a lodge we go to every year, you literally catch fish every cast, and every other fish is a monster. The place is fabulous www.kesagami.com

thanks bill, i'll have to look into that lake :)

hope your trip is AWESOME!!! ski

• 1 month later...

We have an archary tag for 22 and were thinking of going north of Dubreulville on the logging road to the east of Esnagi. Can we get through there? Also, is there any portages into Esnagi. If the hunting is slow I would like to spend an afternoon fishing from my canoe.

We have an archary tag for 22 and were thinking of going north of Dubreulville on the logging road to the east of Esnagi. Can we get through there? Also, is there any portages into Esnagi. If the hunting is slow I would like to spend an afternoon fishing from my canoe.

Welcome to the forum, Simpelton. You will find lots of information here. :right_on::right_on:

This could be confusing as we have lots of Simpletons here :-P

And you're all welcome, too! :rotflmao::rotflmao:

you cannot use the logging roads to access esnagi. they (tourist outfitters) have a protected boundry for several of the lakes up there, inc esnagi, kabinakagami ect.... there are other lakes in the area to access for walleye and pike fishing, including the magpie river, above and below the resivior area. be very careful where you go up there for moose, there are several off limits areas near dubreuilville including but not limited to the chapleau preserve which is only about 11 kliks from town toward missanabi. i am sure your guide will help keep you safe, legal, and pointed in the right direction. ski

Thanks Ski:

We'll try to keep out of trouble. I understand the mill in Dubreuilville is shut down. Can buy lodging and gas in town?

Send Groomer Guy or Big Reg (both on this forum) a PM. They live in D'ville and can answer lodging/gas questions.

Thanks Ski:

We'll try to keep out of trouble. I understand the mill in Dubreuilville is shut down. Can buy lodging and gas in town?

The answer to both is "yes". Chez Gaston is a member here and the petrol pumps are now card operated.

Having said that, I would still follow Canuck's advice and contact either BigReg or Groomer Guy through this Board to make sure my information is still current.

oh !! and.........WELCOME ! Glad to have you "On Board" ! :-D

Archived