Snowmobiling story in Toronto Star

Mooseman

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/989032--fiorito-when-she-knelt-down-to-cradle-my-head-she-was-saying-goodbye

Be prepared for major cringe factor and writhing in your chair. And if my boys refuse to use their tether, I'll just let them read this story. This is the second one I have read about like this.

Amazing story.

Regarding tethers - I've heard that if not connected properly, sled won't start (as everyone is aware) Many stories about folks stuck in the wilderness because tether broken/ won't connect properly.

It's a tradeoff.

Kudos to all involved in this rescue.

Regarding tethers - I've heard that if not connected properly, sled won't start (as everyone is aware) Many stories about folks stuck in the wilderness because tether broken/ won't connect properly.

Had that happen on a 02 Doo 2up 500fan. Thought it was flooded. Nope,no spark. Reset the tether and started first pull. Definitly keep an eye on that now. If their not seated properly they won't start. Like when the kill switch is down.

Thanks for pointing that article out Canuck, must of missed it this morning.

Had that happen on a 02 Doo 2up 500fan. Thought it was flooded. Nope,no spark. Reset the tether and started first pull. Definitly keep an eye on that now. If their not seated properly they won't start. Like when the kill switch is down.

Thanks for pointing that article out Canuck, must of missed it this morning.

Mooseman posted the article, and it's a lesson to us all.

I'll add one more thing. Often, people can't provide a location for rescue. I've heard that the Apple/Ofsc map (I mean guide) has proven helpful in rescue situations since introduced. Basically, users can obtain co-ordinates as to where they're stranded from the interactive guide and then make the call (assuming there's cell service).

On most sleds (Doos anyway), it can be disabled by unplugging the wiring if the cap is broken or lost. It works by shorting out the ignition when the cap is pulled. It may be different for newer sleds with electronic ignition.

sad story for sure,,,,not sure how a tether fits in,,,there is no way of knowing that that may have been a benefit.You have to be ejected from the sled in order for the tether to work,some how he ended up entangled with the sled.Maybe he tried to drag his legs to stop the sled???But the kill switch was working???Sledding alone,,,yes we all have done it,,,has risks,,

It is/was a tragic accident to say the least,,,,the recovery will be a long one,,,,heartfelt sympathy to the people involved,,,,

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/989032--fiorito-when-she-knelt-down-to-cradle-my-head-she-was-saying-goodbye

Be prepared for major cringe factor and writhing in your chair. And if my boys refuse to use their tether, I'll just let them read this story. This is the second one I have read about like this.

I would be more concerned that they understand in the most extreme cases,it is better to bail then try and wrestle the sled,always ride with more then 1 sled,and make sure safety features have not been disabled,,,a one in a million,or 2 in a million accident is hard to prepare for,,,,

when we were riding the old iron in the 60/70's the first thing you did when the sled went sideways was put your foot out to help(check out that old video posted here Peter Jennings did and watch them racing),,,lots of broken ankles,,,,

Spot would have been useful in getting help.

Yamaha,Arctic Cat and Polaris all have throttle monitor sytems that will shut the engine off if the throttle sticks. These systems do need to be checked and maintained I have experienced them work they are a great idea. basically only Ski-Doo uses tethers with the DESS system they are too sensitive but would have prevented this for sure.

Something is not right.

On a trail north of Hwy 60 inside Algonquin Park? No trails in the park except the B trail from Haliburton to Whitney and a small part near the very bottom Bancroft way.

Also it says his legs are caught inside the track but the studs are cutting through his clothes?

Can't wait to see the rest of the story.

sad story for sure,,,,not sure how a tether fits in,,,there is no way of knowing that that may have been a benefit.You have to be ejected from the sled in order for the tether to work,some how he ended up entangled with the sled.Maybe he tried to drag his legs to stop the sled???But the kill switch was working???

From what I understand he was up and over the hill and his wife's sled had taken off up and over and landed on him. A tether would have killed the engine when she fell off.

On a side note, I just bought myself one for my yamaha since they don't come with one from the factory. It was mostly for if I roll my sled and it shuts off a vaulve to stop oil from leaquing out the tank breather tube. Ever since I got it I've been hearing stories like this on forums. Now I am glas I have it. I got a plug and play version so if there is ever a problem with it I just unplug it and plug the stock connectors back together.

From what I understand he was up and over the hill and his wife's sled had taken off up and over and landed on him. A tether would have killed the engine when she fell off.

On a side note, I just bought myself one for my yamaha since they don't come with one from the factory. It was mostly for if I roll my sled and it shuts off a vaulve to stop oil from leaquing out the tank breather tube. Ever since I got it I've been hearing stories like this on forums. Now I am glas I have it. I got a plug and play version so if there is ever a problem with it I just unplug it and plug the stock connectors back together.

you are reading this way different then me,,,,,

A few hours later, on a narrow trail in the deep woods, as they were nearing the top of a steep hill, Rob eased back on the throttle.

The throttle stuck, wide-open and they were suddenly, wildly, airborne. Leslie-Anne was tossed off, unhurt, but the snow machine landed on Rob and his legs got caught in the spinning track.

Mooseman posted the article, and it's a lesson to us all.

I'll add one more thing. Often, people can't provide a location for rescue. I've heard that the Apple/Ofsc map (I mean guide) has proven helpful in rescue situations since introduced. Basically, users can obtain co-ordinates as to where they're stranded from the interactive guide and then make the call (assuming there's cell service).

All cell phone can give your position, and you don't need an app of any kind. Older phones can track your position from the signal between cell phone towers. Which is fine in Toronto where there are more towers. But head north and you may only beable to pick up one tower so than your looking at a 5-8km radis around that tower. Any smartphone built in the last 5 years has a built in GPS. Be it Apple, BlackBerry, or whatever you use. Along with that 911 operators are able to pull your location fix remotely, as long as your not the kind of person that worries about big brother watching where you go and you have turned off the location aiding fucton in your phone.

But if your going it alone or a group and your off in the middle of nowhere, a Spot Tracker is $149 and a basic plan where you push a button and help is sent, is only $99 a year. That's really cheap insurance in case you run in to trouble, just make sure you have the Spot attached to you, should you and your sled go seprate ways, where you can't get back to it.

Many stories about folks stuck in the wilderness because tether broken/ won't connect properly.

I had the authentication chip fall out of mine. Luckily, I just so happened to be at my dealer when it happened, so they got me a new one to use. Kind of frightening that it could happen out in the middle of nowhere though.

I had the authentication chip fall out of mine. Luckily, I just so happened to be at my dealer when it happened, so they got me a new one to use. Kind of frightening that it could happen out in the middle of nowhere though.

The DESS tether sure slowed down the sled thieves though.

Spot would have been useful in getting help.

I am under the impression that they had a SPOT, but no GPS.

The article states they has a GPS that could send an emergency location. That's SPOT!

If they had a regular GPS, they would have been able to give the 911 operator the coordinates.....

Something is not right.

On a trail north of Hwy 60 inside Algonquin Park? No trails in the park except the B trail from Haliburton to Whitney and a small part near the very bottom Bancroft way.

Also it says his legs are caught inside the track but the studs are cutting through his clothes?

Can't wait to see the rest of the story.

Here it is.

I bought an extra DESS cord and had all three programmed to work on both my sleds. That way always have an extra.

the chip is not required to make the connection. if it comes loose, toss it, and push the cap on harder.

Here it is.

Thanks, SJ.

Like the article says, what are the odds?

Just a little clarification on the Yamaha TORS system. It won't kill the engine (at least not right away) but will limit the RPMs. Mine went off a couple of times and it was just as if the engine was bogging and then flashed a code. Maybe my glove got into the lever mechanism or something. Maybe if the TORS stays active too long it may kill the engine but I don't know for sure. The TORS would not help if the throttle is pinned if flipped or something else holding it the same way as a hand would. I dented my truck when I was reversing and the sled made me lurch onto the throttle and accelerated unexpectedly. TORS didn't help in this case. Sled was fine, truck I don't care about :bluerolleyes:

Just a little clarification on the Yamaha TORS system. It won't kill the engine (at least not right away) but will limit the RPMs. Mine went off a couple of times and it was just as if the engine was bogging and then flashed a code. Maybe my glove got into the lever mechanism or something. Maybe if the TORS stays active too long it may kill the engine but I don't know for sure. The TORS would not help if the throttle is pinned if flipped or something else holding it the same way as a hand would. I dented my truck when I was reversing and the sled made me lurch onto the throttle and accelerated unexpectedly. TORS didn't help in this case. Sled was fine, truck I don't care about :bluerolleyes:

TORS won't allow the engine to rev high enough to engage the clutch, in my experience. However, you are correct about something holding the throttle open the same way a hand would.

This story does sound like a scary and potentially tragic situation, but I am not sure that we can glean enough details about what might have really happened from the article. The reporter uses a lot of references that don't seem to be accurate, as DooGirl69 pointed out.

BTW, what GPS model has a help button? The only device that I know of that can do that is the SPOT unit. And if they used that and pressed the 911 button, it should have been able to summon help, I would hope. After all, that is what I am counting on! (And paying for!)

you must realize the author of this op ed piece is a downtown toronto tree hugger where trees are scace

TORS won't allow the engine to rev high enough to engage the clutch, in my experience. However, you are correct about something holding the throttle open the same way a hand would.

This story does sound like a scary and potentially tragic situation, but I am not sure that we can glean enough details about what might have really happened from the article. The reporter uses a lot of references that don't seem to be accurate, as DooGirl69 pointed out.

BTW, what GPS model has a help button? The only device that I know of that can do that is the SPOT unit. And if they used that and pressed the 911 button, it should have been able to summon help, I would hope. After all, that is what I am counting on! (And paying for!)

TORS also won't kill the engine if you flip the sled. It might eventually if it runs out of oil but it's always better to kill it ASAP. Could potentially take several seconds if you get tossed, then the sled flips and you have to catch up to it.

There was a mention in the story that the battery in the "GPS" was dead, which was probably a SPOT but was not named as they don't want to give free product plugs. This story does sound embellished a lot but we can still learn a lesson from it. This is now the third story I have read about getting sucked into the track.

My bro-in-law, years ago on his 72 Olympic, got tossed off after hitting a drift on a lake, a very big lake. It kept on going, and going, and going... Made for a very long walk :icon_doh:

I bought an extra DESS cord and had all three programmed to work on both my sleds. That way always have an extra.

X2 :right_on:

Archived