Timmins-Hearst-Chapleau-Timmins

Laughing Moose

Finally getting some plans together to see some new territory. We would like to trailer to Timmins Friday March 11. Ride Timmins to Hearst on Saturday. Hearst to Chapleau on Sunday. Chapleau to Timmins on Monday. Either trailer back Monday, or spend Monday night in Timmins and drive back Tuesday morning. Based on looking over others trips and comments, I am thinking Companion Inn Hearst on Saturday night. Valentines in Chapleau on Sunday night. Would appreciate any suggestions and comments regarding trail conditions, accommodation and whether this is do-able. Also, might be looking for parking spot for a truck from Friday afternoon until Tuesday in Huntsville. Any suggestions? Thanks all. I promise to post pics and keep updates, providing net-book doesn't get frost bite.

Finally getting some plans together to see some new territory. We would like to trailer to Timmins Friday March 11. Ride Timmins to Hearst on Saturday. Hearst to Chapleau on Sunday. Chapleau to Timmins on Monday. Either trailer back Monday, or spend Monday night in Timmins and drive back Tuesday morning. Based on looking over others trips and comments, I am thinking Companion Inn Hearst on Saturday night. Valentines in Chapleau on Sunday night. Would appreciate any suggestions and comments regarding trail conditions, accommodation and whether this is do-able. Also, might be looking for parking spot for a truck from Friday afternoon until Tuesday in Huntsville. Any suggestions? Thanks all. I promise to post pics and keep updates, providing net-book doesn't get frost bite.

We rode this weekend, Kirkland lake through Timmins to Cochrane over to smooth rock up to the Canyon then back.

First time for us in that area. Amazing trails. Flat and fast. Lots of snow.

That's all I can tell you.

Thanks revkev. That's a darn encouraging response.

Laughing Moose

when we stay at Timmins we always stay at Cedar Meadows resort real nice place to stay right of the trail easy access to motel.

hope this helps

enjoy your ride

zrtkat

Thanks zrtkat. Also, really appreciated pics and updates from your last trip. It helped get us juiced up to go. You have set the bar high for on-trail reporting.

Thanks zrtkat. Also, really appreciated pics and updates from your last trip. It helped get us juiced up to go. You have set the bar high for on-trail reporting.

Thank-you my friend hope you have a great snowmobile trip as we did , will be waiting for your report when you get back.

zrtkat

Just got back from a trip up in that area. Companion Motel is an excellent place to stay in Hearst,trails couldn't be in better shape we made it from Hearst to cochrane in just over four hours, very fast trails, most hotels you stay at in Huntsville will let you leave your truck for the week if you stay there at least one night. Hope this helps

Trails in the Kapuskasing area are still in great shape toady it was 0 and tomorrow it's supposed to be 0 with overcast. Overnight temperatures are in the -10, -15 range so the trails are still solid for a couple of weeks. The local trails around Timmins are a little thin but they improve as soon as your outside of town. Good luck on the trip.

Thanks jigger. Appreciate all the info. We have heard that lunch at Moonbeam Clubhouse is a must, so we are planning on that for Saturday. Also - does anyone have any comments about availability of gas - any issues or questionable areas?

Thanks jigger. Appreciate all the info. We have heard that lunch at Moonbeam Clubhouse is a must, so we are planning on that for Saturday. Also - does anyone have any comments about availability of gas - any issues or questionable areas?

Moonbeam clubhouse almost closed for good this season due to lack of funds.

IT's OPEN, however, with the help of volunteers.

9 am -4 pm

Interesting concept. 5 'couples' volunteer for 10 straight days, keeping the Moonbeam club open. Each couple assists for 10 straight days, and then the next couple takes over.

We stopped twice. Loved it.

Great breakfast if you're leaving Kap to run the canyon, as we did.

Stayed at Super 8 hotel in Kap, and recommend it.

Planning on riding between KL and Kap middle of next week and was wondering what the availability of hotels are at the different towns. Do you need to book in advance? Will be first time in the area and not sure of how much ground we can cover each day. Any info or advice would be great.

Planning on riding between KL and Kap middle of next week and was wondering what the availability of hotels are at the different towns. Do you need to book in advance? Will be first time in the area and not sure of how much ground we can cover each day. Any info or advice would be great.

Probably no need to book in advance for mid-week riding. Can't comment on KL, since last Friday's Hwy 11 road closure north of North Bay prevented us (and many others) from reaching KL. We diverted to Timmins, which put us closer to the northern trails.

Timmins had a hockey tournament, so the Super 8 with adjoining Casey's was full. Easy to go across the street to the Comfort Inn, although the Comfort Inn could use a facelift. Someone mentioned Cedar Meadows above, and it gets high marks on tripadvisor.com

Kap - Super 8 had plenty of rooms available. Great hotel.

Cochrane - Best Western was full, so we went across the street to the Station Inn. Westway is convenient because it's close to JR's ribs and Tim Horton's for a quick am coffee. They had plenty of rooms available on Monday night. Lillabelle Lodge gets great reviews, but you may have to book ahead.

Apparently, the hotel in Smooth Rock (Moose) is under new management. Sledders said it was a good place to stay and convenient if running the Fraserdale Loop. The restaurant at Smooth Rock Esso had slow service and cold food this time around. Recommend Moonbeam Clubhouse to the West for vittles.

______

To put trail traffic in perspective - Last Monday, when running the Fraserdale Loop (A103 out of Smooth Rock) we didn't have a single sled approach us on the trail. Over 200 kms., and not one sled. Yes, there was a group taking off from Extreme Tours, heading north into the bush, but on the OFSC trail, not one sled. The next day we were the sole riders from Cochrane to Timmins (100 kms). Trails are mint up there. I can only assume that many riders stopped in North Bay, due to the snow storm and/or -30 wake up temperature kept a few people away.

_____

We're heading up again for a few days this weekend and into next week. Riding out of Timmins.

X2 about Comfort Inn ready for a face-life in Timmins. Stayed there two years ago. Thinking of Super 8 across road for this Friday night - it has Casey's restaurant next door :right_on:. On other hand, Cedar Meadows looks good. Wondering if there is good food there or nearby? Anyone have comments?

Now booked for Companion in Hearst for Saturday night and Valentines BB in Chapleau on Sunday night. Spoke with Ross & Frenda on phone last night - they feel like old friends already.

We have heard that Ernie burger is a huge feature in Missinabie, however wondering if that is too far from Hearst for lunch on Sunday. Comments?

X2 about Comfort Inn ready for a face-life in Timmins. Stayed there two years ago. Thinking of Super 8 across road for this Friday night - it has Casey's restaurant next door :right_on:. On other hand, Cedar Meadows looks good. Wondering if there is good food there or nearby? Anyone have comments?

Now booked for Companion in Hearst for Saturday night and Valentines BB in Chapleau on Sunday night. Spoke with Ross & Frenda on phone last night - they feel like old friends already.

We have heard that Ernie burger is a huge feature in Missinabie, however wondering if that is too far from Hearst for lunch on Sunday. Comments?

'Laughing Moose'

Cedar meadows has a restuaurant,bar,you would not be dissapointed if you stayed there

Ernie burgers are the best

would be a big ride to make it from hearst to ernies for lunch

have a great trip

zrtkat

I dont Know about you guys.. (I havent made Much touring trips) But hearst to chapleau in One Day Seems to be a BIG day to me..... well other than the 29 km from Missinabie too dalton the trail is on longing roads and old rail bed so its fast riding. I guess its doable.

I dont Know about you guys.. (I havent made Much touring trips) But hearst to chapleau in One Day Seems to be a BIG day to me..... well other than the 29 km from Missinabie too dalton the trail is on longing roads and old rail bed so its fast riding. I guess its doable.

Appreciate the comment, GG. Especially good to know what to expect trail-wise. We will see how the day unfolds, and make a final decision when we see what time we get to D'Ville. But, have a booking at Valentines, so that is the target at present.

My husband actually did Hearst to Timmins (via Chapleau) in one day...over 700km. But I don't think he would ever, ever do that again. Over 12 hours of snowmobiling, he said was way over his limits, and was purely exhausted. Live and learn!! So I imagine Hearst to Chapleau is not that bad. Enjoy your trip!

Hey Canuck, thanks for the info.

Another newbie question. Are the trails better late in the week after they have had a chance to groom from heavy weekend trafic similar to that in central ontario? Or are they just always in good shape?

Hey Canuck, thanks for the info.

Another newbie question. Are the trails better late in the week after they have had a chance to groom from heavy weekend trafic similar to that in central ontario? Or are they just always in good shape?

They are always in good shape!

We trailered into Timmins tonite. Arrived at midnight. The team is pumped. Lots of new snow and temperatures dropping. Heading to Hearst tomorrow. Amazed that I am actally doing this post on a Blackberry.

We trailered into Timmins tonite. Arrived at midnight. The team is pumped. Lots of new snow and temperatures dropping. Heading to Hearst tomorrow. Amazed that I am actally doing this post on a Blackberry.

'Laughing Moose'

have a great ride today keep us posted on your trip today :right_on:

zrtkat

Keep us posted, Stop in to say Hi. My Store name is the Quickee-Mart from the gasstation you can take the Street South right up to my store (52 rues des Pins).... or take the lake then ride the side streets.

Im done working at 3pm today and should be back tomorow at around 3;00pm

have a great trip.

heres my blackberry PIN 31E6A77 if you want to Ad me.... just incase you need info or help while out here... maybe I can help.

Good evening from the Companion Inn at Hearst. We had sublime conditions all day long. Temperatures ranged from 11F to 25F. Trails were perfectly groomed every inch of the way. We had an awesome late breakfast at the Moonbeam Clubhouse, which offset a meagre continental offering at the Super8 Timmins this morning. The whole sledding cachet at the Clubhouse was awesome, and breakfast prepared by the demure ladies was delicious. We neared Hearst about mid-afternoon, and briefly considered continuing to unknown accommodations in Hornpayne. Lucky us - we decided to stay with Plan A at the Companion in Hearst, and later found out that accommdations in Hornpayne are poor-to-nonexistent. So, an early in here, with a hot tub and cold one, followed by a great meal in the dining room. Sleds are in the garage, and we are not long from sleep. We are antipating a big day tomorrow to get to Valentines in Chapleau. Thanks to all who have helped us by contributing their advice and knowledge. We also encourage any bystanders to join in and try these trails. You will not be disappointed. And, thanks to Groomer Guy. Nice to know we have some local "street cred" if needed. We will try to find you in D'Ville tomorrow if time and ability permits.

Couple other things, folks. Sled traffic was minimal today - amazing, for a Saturday. And, the Companion is full tonite. The place is crawling with snowmobilers. I have spoken with a number of groups, and all have spoken favourably about the trails.

I will try for a few on-trail updates tomorrow, pending service availability, as my facility with this Blackberry is increasing.

Archived