Timmins-Hearst-Chapleau-Timmins

Laughing Moose

Great updates. How did the second half of the trip go?

How far is Timmins to Hearst and how long did it take?

This update is late - could not access internet at Chapleau on Sunday night. Back home now, so here comes the update.

Day 2 - Sunday March 13th - Hearst to Chapleau

We were turning track by 8 a.m. on a clear and cool morning (10 below F). The trail quality was 10 out of 10. No traffic, and we were the first ones out Hearst. Very fast riding to Hornpayne. Arrived about 10 a.m. at the Esso. Warmed up and chatted with the friendly young lad. Then, on to D-Ville. Sorry Groomer Guy, we were there by half past 12. I understood you were still working, so didn't go looking for you. Filled up at the card lock, and on the Missanabie. We arrived at Ernies about 2 pm and enjoyed the fabulous Ernie and the fabulous Ernie burgers. My thesaurus doesn't have enough words to describe it. Trails were slower out of D-Ville, and the area along the hydro lines before Dog Lake were challenging with their steep climbs and short sight lines. No traffic and fresh grooingr made is quite easy - thanks Groomer Guy. Then, on to Chapleau - left Ernies about half past 3, and arrived in Chapleau at Valentines about half past 5. Ross was waiting. The trail was choppy for a while, being newly built, but improved after about 30 k. Weather warmed a bit, but it was still surprisingly chilly. No mechanical issues. We had Chinese food brought in at Valentines, and it didn't take long to nod off. A Great day, covering 475 kilometres.

Day 3 - Monday March 14th - Chapleau to Timmins

14 below Fahrenheit when we left Valentines at 8 am. Ross made us a delicious breakfast. 3 other sledders joined us at breakfast - they had arrived about midnight (didn't hear a thing) after riding from Kapuskasing to Chapleau. Now, that's a damn long day. Apparently had some mechanical issues that were addressed in Hearst.

Anyways, off we went at 8 am, enduring the roughest trails of the ride. LIttle snow and rough county make an endurance-style trail. It basically followed along the highway, with occasional dips into the woods. After about an hour, things improved, with some extended runs along forestry roads, then back out to the highway. Arrived Folyet gas bar/general store at half past 11. Warming up significantly now. Quick gas-up, chocolate milk, then on the way again. Trails significantly superior east of Folyet, and we ran approx. 160 km to Super 8 parking lot in Timmins by half past 2. Much faster trails, and well groomed. Load up the sleds, gas up the truck, get some subs, and start driving. Phew.

Summary

Day 1 - 325 km - very easy on fast trails - could have done more.

Day 2 - 475 km - most fast trails, other than the bit around Missanabie. Ernies is a must.

Day 3 - 300 km - bad trails for half, then much better. Could have riden farther.

Comments Extraordinarily friendly people everywhere. The businesses are depending on sledders, and it was sad to see some of the hardships that exist in this part of the country. The people of this area deserve better, and I would encourage any sledders to consider travelling in this part of the county. The quality of the trails could not be better. l have ridden the northern loop in Quebec (Roberval, Chibougamau, Senneterre), and it has nothing on this area of Ontario. The only thing is, the Quebec northern loop is longer. However, it we had had more time this year, we could have made a much longer trip including Wawa and the Sault.

We are already planning for next year. I will post some photos in next few days. Thanks, LM

Laughing Moose

sounds like you had a great trip , and where on great trails we where hoping to get back up one more time this season but looks like next year now.

awesome report

zrtkat

Laughing Moose

sounds like you had a great trip , and where on great trails we where hoping to get back up one more time this season but looks like next year now.

awesome report

zrtkat

zrtkat:

Don't let the weather scare you into not coming back. D-Ville, Hornepayne, Hearst and Kap had hard-frozen trails very smooth. I expect they can take some thaw/freeze cycles without significant deterioration, particularly in light of the low traffic.

Alas, where we live, the trails get chewed up quickly in thaws because most are twisty, and there is a high volume of use. Also, we don't have as much snow.

And, yes, I know the winter is ending, I just don't want to admit it.

Younger team member had Go-Pro camera - I should be able to post a link to You-Tube once he gets it edited (and tells me how to post links). I asked him to speed up the "film", because it will likely be pretty boring to watch at regular speed due to our strict adherence to 50 km/hr limit. :icon_naughty:

Thanks folks.

zrtkat:

Don't let the weather scare you into not coming back. D-Ville, Hornepayne, Hearst and Kap had hard-frozen trails very smooth. I expect they can take some thaw/freeze cycles without significant deterioration, particularly in light of the low traffic.

Alas, where we live, the trails get chewed up quickly in thaws because most are twisty, and there is a high volume of use. Also, we don't have as much snow.

And, yes, I know the winter is ending, I just don't want to admit it.

Younger team member had Go-Pro camera - I should be able to post a link to You-Tube once he gets it edited (and tells me how to post links). I asked him to speed up the "film", because it will likely be pretty boring to watch at regular speed due to our strict adherence to 50 km/hr limit. :icon_naughty:

Thanks folks.

sounds great will be looking forward to some videos :right_on:

thanks

zrtkat

Hey Moose, I think we met you guys on Sunday. We had just finished lunch at Ernie's when you arrived. 3 Blue Yamaha Apex's. We started in Iroquois Falls and did the loop clockwise. Conditions were fabulous all the way around.

Yep. I remember you guys. Glad to hear your ride continued to be a success. We had a great inaugural visit with Ernie - looking forward to many more. Two fellows from Indiana came in after you guys left - they have been sledding in the area for years, and were heading down Dog Lake and Whitefish Lake(?) to Hawk Junction to get to Wawa. That was the first I had heard of that short-cut - something for us to think about for the next ride in order to gain fast and easy access to the Ernie Burger. Overall, I was amazed at the number of Americans - great to see.

Archived