Ice Caves this weekend?

Turbo Doo

Ok guys, suggestions on a little tour to the Ice Caves north on Huntsville this weekend. Where to park truck and trailer and suggestions for a little tour on saturday?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would be driving from cottage on lake simcoe in Orillia with truck and trailer.

We did a little bit of riding this past weekend in the Huntsville area and conditions were definitely limited. The more south we went, the worst it got. With the current conditions, lack of snow in the forecast and closed trails, I would suggest trailering to the tubing hill in Huntsville (Rock Ridge on Trail 88) and parking there. From there, take 88 across Fairy Lake to Deerhurst, then across Peninsula Lake to trail 54 over to and across Lake of Bays and on to trail 77 through Dwight (77 was groomed Sunday night). Take 77 to D101B and take that North to the D. Go right on the D to AL301 which goes to the ice caves (assuming those are the ice caves you're thinking of). The southbound (from Dwight) D101B was groomed Sunday night but I don't know about the northbound. This should limit your road riding because the roads are really bad. (Trail 51 and 53 to the south were as bad as can be for road travel and should be avoided at all costs unless a large dump of snow comes.) Even though it's an option, I wouldn't even think of taking D102B north from Deerhurst as this trail is junk even when there's lots of snow on the ground.

I would have to think the D and AL301 around Sand Lake would be in pretty good shape as the Almaguin club is one of the best around for keeping trails in the best condition as possible.

That's my straight up $0.02.

I always unload at Port Sidney, but I would check trail conditions 1st

Was up in Kearney until Monday - trails are OPEN (as of this morning) in the ADSC area (see link to club website - they update daily). They have lost a lot of snow - trails are hard and icy - but the groomers are still running. There is snow in the forecast this week - all they need is a bit and the trails will be in good shape. I was looking at D123 as we were leaving Emsdale on Monday and it looked freshly groomed and pretty sweet actually :tongue: . You can trailer to the start of the ADSC trail system and park on the road and unload there if you want. You go through Kearney and take Rain Lake Road out a few kms.....you will see the trail on the right for MSR and then a couple of kms further down the trail for ADSC on the left. A lot of people just park their trucks there and go! Not much traffic on that road - so it's good.

Here's the address/link to ADSC website:

http://www.adsc-snow.org/

Happy Trails :wavey:

We did a little bit of riding this past weekend in the Huntsville area and conditions were definitely limited. The more south we went, the worst it got. With the current conditions, lack of snow in the forecast and closed trails, I would suggest trailering to the tubing hill in Huntsville (Rock Ridge on Trail 88) and parking there. From there, take 88 across Fairy Lake to Deerhurst, then across Peninsula Lake to trail 54 over to and across Lake of Bays and on to trail 77 through Dwight (77 was groomed Sunday night). Take 77 to D101B and take that North to the D. Go right on the D to AL301 which goes to the ice caves (assuming those are the ice caves you're thinking of). The southbound (from Dwight) D101B was groomed Sunday night but I don't know about the northbound. This should limit your road riding because the roads are really bad. (Trail 51 and 53 to the south were as bad as can be for road travel and should be avoided at all costs unless a large dump of snow comes.) Even though it's an option, I wouldn't even think of taking D102B north from Deerhurst as this trail is junk even when there's lots of snow on the ground.

I would have to think the D and AL301 around Sand Lake would be in pretty good shape as the Almaguin club is one of the best around for keeping trails in the best condition as possible.

That's my straight up $0.02.

IQ TURBO, I agree with Dogan's suggested route, with two notable exceptions:

(1) instead of parking at Rock Ridge (which requires a nasty run east down the hill on Townline Road, on either bare pavement or rock-hard trail at the road edge), park on Townline Road EAST of Brunel Road, opposite the Town's outdoor rink on the skating pond...there's lots of parking along the south side of Townline across from the pond, and you can hop right on Trail 88 immediately across from where you park; and,

(2) unless we get lots of new snow by this weekend, I'd strongly recommend that you stay away from D101B north between 77 (east of Dwight) and 78...there is a looooooong section (many kms) of road running on 101B south-east of Bella Lake which is now bare gravel and very nasty. The better option is to by-pass Dwight altogether by running the stake-line northeast across Pen Lake from Deerhurst to 77 (you pick that up at Hwy. 60), cross Hwy. 60 and follow 77 east to 78, then head north on 78 all the way up to 101B, and then north to D from there.

Alternatively, Giddy UP's suggestion of driving north to Kearney and parking on Rain Lake Road at TOP D is also a good one...you can hop on D right from there, and enjoy all of the Almaguin trails without the run up from Huntsville.

Have fun and stay safe.

IQ TURBO, I agree with Dogan's suggested route, with two notable exceptions:

(1) instead of parking at Rock Ridge (which requires a nasty run east down the hill on Townline Road, on either bare pavement or rock-hard trail at the road edge), park on Townline Road EAST of Brunel Road, opposite the Town's outdoor rink on the skating pond...there's lots of parking along the south side of Townline across from the pond, and you can hop right on Trail 88 immediately across from where you park; and,

(2) unless we get lots of new snow by this weekend, I'd strongly recommend that you stay away from D101B north between 77 (east of Dwight) and 78...there is a looooooong section (many kms) of road running on 101B south-east of Bella Lake which is now bare gravel and very nasty. The better option is to by-pass Dwight altogether by running the stake-line northeast across Pen Lake from Deerhurst to 77 (you pick that up at Hwy. 60), cross Hwy. 60 and follow 77 east to 78, then head north on 78 all the way up to 101B, and then north to D from there.

Alternatively, Giddy UP's suggestion of driving north to Kearney and parking on Rain Lake Road at TOP D is also a good one...you can hop on D right from there, and enjoy all of the Almaguin trails without the run up from Huntsville.

Have fun and stay safe.

Another note: There is quite a bit of road riding on D from where the MSR trail ends and the ADSC begins on Rain Lake Road. Parking at the entrance to ADSC and Top D on Rain Lake Road would eliminate this section . Once there - there are quite a few trails in the ADSC that have some road involved - BUT - the trails runs beside the roads and is groomed through those sections (mostly) :wavey:

Also - if you goal is to get to the Ice Caves - then this trail will get you there with NO roads to ride :tongue:

That section on Billie Bear Road you are talking about iREV - would be a nightmare right now! :banghead:

:wavey:

Just returned from Edgewater resort on Sand Lake. Left Tuesday morning, truck and trailer from K-W area, trying for a two-three day trip since according to the OFSC site and Amalguin site, all was good and green. Arrived, unloaded sleds, 104 km later, loaded sleds back on trailer. We stayed the evening and have arrived home. Travelled D north, D123 north towards Sundridge intersection, D south, D123 detour, club trails back to Sand lake. There is no way the trails in this area should be listed as open, limited at best. Amalguin is grooming and pulling up more rocks to hit if there is snow cover. Spoke to fellows from south of Kearney, lots of gravel, and spoke to fellows trying to do the RAP tour. They were replacing broken ski rods this morning from their tour from Pembroke to Sand lake. Petewawa to North Bay was their only good riding.

Was not worth the drive or time involved. Not enough time to travel farther north. Group travelling from Pembroke to Sand lake were hitting bare fields in Powassan area and many roads. Not happy campers either.

Looking like sledding is coming to an end really really fast this year.. THIS SUCKS..

Up it does. Lucky I put on my 2800km this year when I did. I had been riding since x-mas so it was a great season. Too bad it is ending so early though. Always next year I guess. Maybe there will be an ocer lake ride in three weeeks :-). Any word doonut???

Up it does. Lucky I put on my 2800km this year when I did. I had been riding since x-mas so it was a great season. Too bad it is ending so early though. Always next year I guess. Maybe there will be an ocer lake ride in three weeeks :-). Any word doonut???

While the lakes are shaping up rather nicely,the little bit of snow we got Saturday night finally put some slider lube on the bog skating rink, the lack of snow between the lakes is the current issue.

Roads are for the most part BARE. I might go have a looksee next weekend to see if the trip from Lake Muskoka to Lake Joe is even remotely do able but without some decent snow in the forcast, it looks dubious.

Might be just a little run around Lake Muskoka and some nice off trail scenery riding available for the rest of the season.

I will post up about a Doonut Lake Tour if its possible after the weekend. We will definately have lake ice and plenty of if for weeks, the only question will be snow.

While the lakes are shaping up rather nicely,the little bit of snow we got Saturday night finally put some slider lube on the bog skating rink, the lack of snow between the lakes is the current issue.

Roads are for the most part BARE. I might go have a looksee next weekend to see if the trip from Lake Muskoka to Lake Joe is even remotely do able but without some decent snow in the forcast, it looks dubious.

Might be just a little run around Lake Muskoka and some nice off trail scenery riding available for the rest of the season.

I will post up about a Doonut Lake Tour if its possible after the weekend. We will definately have lake ice and plenty of if for weeks, the only question will be snow.

Hey Shawn

We got another 2 inches of wet snow last night, it looks like it stuck to the ice and is nice and flat , all the bays between Gravy and Bala looked nice , cold tonight , so looks like lakes are the thing to do this week on , not sure of any heaves out there though ,

Hey Shawn

We got another 2 inches of wet snow last night, it looks like it stuck to the ice and is nice and flat , all the bays between Gravy and Bala looked nice , cold tonight , so looks like lakes are the thing to do this week on , not sure of any heaves out there though ,

Hey Dave. there were a few big ones blowin up and down aling the west shore and off Montom point last weekend. The ice grew big time last week.

Archived