excessive gas use?

calzmachz

Hey yall, so I had the chance to boot around Lake Simcoe in the LC area. Glad that the weekend wasn't a write off after all.

Anyone planning anything for this weekend?

So I was wondering if I'm seeing things straight cuz it seems like my sled pee's out gas. I get approx 40 kms (I believe it's kms, cuz the speedometer cable is plugged to the kms side of the gauge) for approx 3/4 tank of gas! :-o

Does this seem about right? Does idling consume a lot of gas?

I'm very curious because I was just wondering how I can ride on long trails without running out of gas?

Thanks in advance!

Cal

glad to hear you got out for ride...should get close to 150 km to a tank....

Hey yall, so I had the chance to boot around Lake Simcoe in the LC area. Glad that the weekend wasn't a write off after all.

Anyone planning anything for this weekend?

So I was wondering if I'm seeing things straight cuz it seems like my sled pee's out gas. I get approx 40 kms (I believe it's kms, cuz the speedometer cable is plugged to the kms side of the gauge) for approx 3/4 tank of gas! :-o

Does this seem about right? Does idling consume a lot of gas?

I'm very curious because I was just wondering how I can ride on long trails without running out of gas?

Thanks in advance!

I agree 150 to 160 km. a tank. I ride a 700 polaris two stroke and thats around my average.

Cal

are you going by the gauge...usually inaccurate...

Yes I am, but when I take a look inside the tank, it seems pretty correct.

How big are tanks usually?

Bombardier has specs. for all thier model years on thier site. Just google. I agree those gas gauges are inacurrate and can cause uneeded stress. Fill up your tank and make note of your odometer reading, ride to the next gas station or do a loop and top your tank off. Divide the # Klm./#litres of gas you just put in and thiers your millage. Good to know when planning your next trip. Hope this helps.

John

The 02 mach z has a 42L tank

I have rode with a few mach 800 and they are brutal on fuel,,,,

My 04 GSX500 shows empty after 100km, but only takes 16 liters to fill it back up on a 40liter tank.

I still get gas every 100km or so, sure the math says I can go 200+km to a tank but its hard to keep riding when you see the gauge on empty. Plus only having to put 16liters in it keeps it under $20 so I feel better about how much my fun is costing me.

I'd fill the tank go for a 40km run than fill it back up and see how much you are really using.

I know someone with a 2000 mach 800 and he get 8-10 Mpg ,so thats 80-100 miles per tank.

I know someone with a 2000 mach 800 and he get 8-10 Mpg ,so thats 80-100 miles per tank.

My best guess is 110-120kms to a tank. But you may maybe surprised that the bottom half of your tank gives you greater distant then the upper half (read your gauge is off). Best to ride with a full tank to near empty and record your mileage this will give you a true indication. However your 800 will drink gas in deep snow conditions or Wide Open Trottle runs. You have a great lake runner, just not a fuel mizer.

Have fun it!!

You would be amazed how far you can go when your gauge is on E

On a ride down from Cochrane I was riding with an F7 and GSX 600....they were right on E (or in the red on the skidoo) and we still had 35 MILES to go to gas station....they ended up making it

I had a full jerry-can on the back of my sled so we weren't really concerned about running out

Who knew that E actually stands for "E-xactly enough gas to make it"

Nice to know far you can go on a tank of fuel on your particular sled. I pay attention to my odometer when I top off and pretty much ignore my tank cap fuel gauge. Usually shows mty while theres still over half a tank. Good to know the range you can go on a full tank of fuel and then use a 20 to 30% safety factor to reduce your range and still ride confidently with your fuel level. I also carry a short siphoning hose and a mty plastic water bottle just in case. Sure theres a gas station up the trail, but is it open? All part of the adventure.

John

My 04 GSX500 shows empty after 100km, but only takes 16 liters to fill it back up on a 40liter tank.

Bubble or electric? Once I learned how to read the bubble gauge on my '04 MXZ, I have found it to be quite accurate.

For the top half of the tank you read it while stopped. 1/2 means 3/4 of a tank left and empty means you have half a tank left. Once your working on the bottom half, you have to read it while you are slowing down. The gauge will read empty while in motion, but will jump up when your speed drops. At that point, full means 1/2 tank, 1/2 tank means 1/4 tank, and so on.

If it stays on empty, even while slowing down, you have about 30kms left before you will be slowing down for good. ;) (found that one out the hard way)

Thanks for the info! My Z doesn't have a bubble but my dad's dlx 670 does. I will test your theory out on the 670 cuz it seems to have bad gas consumption too! If this proven true, then the gas mileage doesn't seem as bad as I thought it has.

As for the Z with the electric gauge, can you follow this system, or is the gauge pretty accurate?

Thanks for the info! My Z doesn't have a bubble but my dad's dlx 670 does.

I was actually talking about the one on REVs that looks like a compass, but I suppose that it may hold true for other models too. Let us know how you make out!

The 02 Mach Z 800 seems to be brutal on gas for everyone I know that rides one. Went out for a ride last weekend. 120 KM. My friends 800 took about 40L to top off over the course of the trip. He filled up halfway and then when we were finished. My Cat Z1 took half that at just under 20L as did our other friends Cat 1000. My wife used to have an 02 Legend 700 and the gas consumption on that was way better than the 800. She was about 1/3 less than the 800.

I've never worked on a doo, but first thing i'd do is a carb clean, and exhaust valve clean, compression check, check for leaks in carb boots and everywhere else, etc. I am sure theres some tech on dootalk that might help you out as well. I get about 8mpg and am hoping a fresh top end this summer will help out in performance and mileage.

Archived