Are there any weather experts out there?

rippintheyammi

Just wondering if any one has any idea when we are going to start getting some lake effect snow? The cold temps have been great for the ice and trails, but another couple feet of snow wouldn't hurt, right? Let me know what y'all think.

Lake effect is going to wane down due to the Great lakes starting to freeze over

You need a Colorado Low or 2 :drool-1:

What Freezie said. You can't have prolonged cold temps and lake effect snow. Global warming is your friend when it comes to snow accumulation. :) Still, it has still snowed a few cms every day, all winter. Can't really complain about that.

What Freezie said. You can't have prolonged cold temps and lake effect snow. Global warming is your friend when it comes to snow accumulation. :) Still, it has still snowed a few cms every day, all winter. Can't really complain about that.

this has been an awesome year.

Looks like this tuesday-wednesday storm is going to rock sw ontario...

It was lake effect snow that pounded western Ontario earlier this season. Depending on the prevailing winds, your area may or may not get lake effect snow.I've seen on EC's radar streamers off of Georgian Bay that are very localized (long & narrow). They may reach towards the GTA, but a mile or 2 away from the streamer, it'll be clear & sunny.

Hey.

This is Canada. We're ALL weather experts! :tongue:

BP

Hey.

This is Canada. We're ALL weather experts! :tongue:

BP

and we also have 20/20 hindsight,,,,,,, :rotflmao::rotflmao:

haha, ya i'm no expert, but i have lived in the snow belt most of my life.

anyways - for lake effect to happen - some of the key ingredients are ambient temp 9 degree cel colder than water temp, open water on the lake/s, onshore winds, long fetch of winds, upper and lower level winds mixing.

this is the time of year that we see some sun and less lake effect, and any new snow we get will come from colorado lows - good news is theres one on its way, and we always get at least one more before the winter is over. i can remember a few co-lows hitting us as late as march break with signifigant dumps in the past.

great sat tool to observe lake ice in almost real time - click on your lake

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/region_map.html

Archived