"Temper" sliders --- do you do this?

nanoonanook

While out in the shop today, I was looking in my ZRT's owners manual and happend to notice a section on Tempering new sliders.

It is the first time that I have heard of the need to do this. The manual suggests that after installing new sliders, make 3-4 high speed runs on hard pack trail conditions to heat up the sliders followed by a cool down run in deep snow conditions. It goes on to state that this will improve the longevity of the sliders.

So.... before I do a full out web search and get polluted with a bunch of nonsense, I thought I'd get polluted here first. :coffeespit:

A

Instead of riding in loose snow for cool down I pull over and kick or use hands to thoroughly cover the sliders...

It works

it does work,but sometimes hard to find the right conditions.The same thing applies to the brakes in your car,but it is called "burnishing" or "bedding",it involves some fast runs and quick stops,,,,,not sure if a sled needs this or not to help with wear,,,, :right_on:

Absolutely. Heat cycling the HMW plastic "hardens" them. Several heat / cool cycles in the first few miles can make a huge difference in how long your sliders last.

Absolutely. Heat cycling the HMW plastic "hardens" them. Several heat / cool cycles in the first few miles can make a huge difference in how long your sliders last.

Good advice! Would a few high speed lake runs do the job followed by cooling with snow in between?

Has anyone ever drill holes in the sliders to help with the short life of sliders?

Has anyone ever drill holes in the sliders to help with the short life of sliders?

A vintage factory race sled I have has drilled sliders.Seems to make the sled faster but I

don't think slider wear was much of a consideration.

I drill all my new slides,not like when we raced but a single row 2 or so inches between holes.I like to know what wear I have,,,,,, :right_on::right_on:

when we raced we drilled a hole every 1/2 inch or so,,,some say it helps carry the lube through the mud near the end of the 500 miles,,,,,, :mrgreen:

what do mean short life,,5,000 plus miles no problem,,,, :right_on:

Best fix that I have found for the Yamaha slider life is to use slightly larger idler wheels. Poo or doo wheels work. The wheel mounts need slight machining but it works well.

Best fix that I have found for the Yamaha slider life is to use slightly larger idler wheels. Poo or doo wheels work. The wheel mounts need slight machining but it works well.

Replace the skis, replace the idler wheels, replace the all the bearings in the skid frame every 7 miles. Why don't you Blue Guys just surrender to the supremacy of BRP ? :-P :razz: :-P

Replace the skis, replace the idler wheels, replace the all the bearings in the skid frame every 7 miles. Why don't you Blue Guys just surrender to the supremacy of BRP ? :-P :razz: :-P

What? And replace the engine instead?

What? And replace the engine instead?

this may not be a good road for you,or I to go down,,,,,, :headbang::headbang: :poke: :poke: :poke: :coffeespit:

you forgot exhaust donuts,tracks,,,,,,,,,,,,:-P :razz: :-P

My BS alarm is going off.

Tempering plastics (UHMW or HDPE) isn't possible.

We sell these materials to industry, its utter nonsense.

There are better grades (virgin vs virgin/recycled) and different additives to gain desired physical properties.

Save your time just buy quality parts leave the rest for April 1.

Been there done that,sliders are still there.

you forgot exhaust donuts,tracks,,,,,,,,,,,,:-P :razz: :-P

Does not apply to his sled. But I hear yeah. New exhaust donuts every other year at under $200 or replace diamond drive....opps did I type that out loud ;-)

My BS alarm is going off.

Tempering plastics (UHMW or HDPE) isn't possible.

We sell these materials to industry, its utter nonsense.

There are better grades (virgin vs virgin/recycled) and different additives to gain desired physical properties.

Save your time just buy quality parts leave the rest for April 1.

read and heard the same, it is not steel :headbang:

But people believe it :wavey:

I drill my slides personally

If it did work, they would temper plastic in a variety of application, but they don't

Like you say believe what you want :wavey: no harm no foul

Thanks for the great replies....I thought that we were going to have a battle royal for a sec there.... no mention of Cat, but I'm not going to go there. ;)

I think I'll give it a go - particularly if the conditions allow for tempering. If not, well, $18.00 won't break the bank too badly!

Thanks again folks,

A

.... no mention of Cat, but I'm not going to go there. ;)

Thanks again folks,

A

they mention doing this in the owners manual,,,,,, :mrgreen:

but what do they know about sleds,,,, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Archived