Why would anyone publish this ?

Wildbill

The fact that the Sun would even publish this just makes me shake my head.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/12/25/16670236.html

with all the negative press the popo has been getting in the last while, they need to try to divert the attention on to something else

I would have been fine if they had shot the sled,,,,,, :mrgreen:

It's too bad the article didn't include his name. That would've really pleased his family.

Yes the sport doesn't need coverage like this, but then again we don't need participants drawn from the lower end of the gene pool either. That's why EVERYONE'S actions (good or bad) reflect on snowmobiling. We face an uphill battle when most of the non-snowmobiling public has the perception that most snowmobilers are like the fellow in Manitoba.

I think its funny as hell... Where's the Youtube video

It was strange that they gave the year and make of his sled.

I think its funny as hell... Where's the Youtube video

It was strange that they gave the year and make of his sled.

What is not funny is the anti sledders using this for fodder against us. Would this have been news if it wasn't a sled ? I have my doubts.

We can hide behind the anti-sledder thing all the time. You need to step back from a non-seld point of view and just think how dumb thin guy must have looked.

The only ones that would say those damn sledders are the same ones that have issues with everything in this world because they just like to bitch.

We can hide behind the anti-sledder thing all the time. You need to step back from a non-seld point of view and just think how dumb thin guy must have looked.

The only ones that would say those damn sledders are the same ones that have issues with everything in this world because they just like to bitch.

I'll give you this the cops must have been shaking thier heads and laughing. Idiots like this give ammunition to the anti sledders. But it cannot be stopped.

With other more intelligent publications available for free, why is a bright fella like you reading the Toronto Sun in the first place?

www.theglobeandmail.com

www.thestar.com

www.economist.com

www2.macleans.ca

:-D

With other more intelligent publications available for free, why is a bright fella like you reading the Toronto Sun in the first place?

www.theglobeandmail.com

www.thestar.com

www.economist.com

www2.macleans.ca

You know I'm not sure if I would put the Toronto Star in a group that bright people read anymore.

Some of the things written in their opinion columns makes me say WTF are they smoking.

www.theglobeandmail.com

www.thestar.com

www.economist.com

www2.macleans.ca

actually I tend to browse many papers online.

www.theglobeandmail.com

www.thestar.com

www.economist.com

www2.macleans.ca

I agree, and was going to post pretty much the same thing. The "Sun" is a rag that I personally would not even use to wipe my ass with.

There are many other good sources of news media, but at the end of the day, many news circulars will print just about any crap they can get their hands on.

:coffeespit: is what I thought when I read it

its the Thursday night ballet run to Petersfield Hotel here that we do, from Winnipeg to Petersfield

You would be surprised how many drunks there are, scary to tell you the truth

We were suppose to do our 1st run this thursday and/or Saturday

I hope the moron gets teh book thrown at him

Ha...I read this and laughed...

I have been involved in a variety of disputes over the years..I have been actively promoting everything from safe sledding to firearms to two-tier health care and between from here to high water.....I have heard this debates like this one ..."People like this ruin our sport".... a hundred times. Well you know what combats that..getting involved in your/our sport People and organizations like PET or OCR Kelly Shires, or the KS ride in general (to name a few we are aware of here on this board).

Look at the motorcycle community (of which I am also a part of, as I know many of you are too right lucky2) It was not too long ago that "bikers" were guys that hung out at timmies or bars drank were roudy and caused a disaster where ever they roamed...Until organizations opened peoples eyes to the good many "bikers" were doing. Whether you agree with them or not. things like Ride for Sight, Ride for Dad, Toy Run, etc, etc have done incredible things for the sport. just like they are starting to do in sledding. The "joe public" of this province are starting to realise that not all sledders are drunk idiots whipping accross Simcoe in early December. I know that I have been doing my part to help educate as I know others that do the same.

What needs to happen is the systematic inclusion or opprotunity for people to come out and try it and understand that the the clubs promote safe responsible riding and disassociate themselves with the idiots running laps in parking lots.

Point: I believe that the OFSC should take a page of the MNR handbook, and open the trails for one weekend a year for individuals without trail passes to ride the trails, get out there...maybe they will buy a pass next year, like they ahve done with the Winter and Summer Fishing weekends where people do not need a license go fishing...it includes people

P.S. I am not saying that people on this board do not promote, particiapte or project our sport in a positive way..(before everyone piles on)

I have been involved in a variety of disputes over the years..I have been actively promoting everything from safe sledding to firearms to two-tier health care and between from here to high water.....I have heard this debates like this one ..."People like this ruin our sport".... a hundred times. Well you know what combats that..getting involved in your/our sport People and organizations like PET or OCR Kelly Shires, or the KS ride in general (to name a few we are aware of here on this board).

Look at the motorcycle community (of which I am also a part of, as I know many of you are too right lucky2) It was not too long ago that "bikers" were guys that hung out at timmies or bars drank were roudy and caused a disaster where ever they roamed...Until organizations opened peoples eyes to the good many "bikers" were doing. Whether you agree with them or not. things like Ride for Sight, Ride for Dad, Toy Run, etc, etc have done incredible things for the sport. just like they are starting to do in sledding. The "joe public" of this province are starting to realise that not all sledders are drunk idiots whipping accross Simcoe in early December. I know that I have been doing my part to help educate as I know others that do the same.

What needs to happen is the systematic inclusion or opprotunity for people to come out and try it and understand that the the clubs promote safe responsible riding and disassociate themselves with the idiots running laps in parking lots.

Point: I believe that the OFSC should take a page of the MNR handbook, and open the trails for one weekend a year for individuals without trail passes to ride the trails, get out there...maybe they will buy a pass next year, like they ahve done with the Winter and Summer Fishing weekends where people do not need a license go fishing...it includes people

P.S. I am not saying that people on this board do not promote, particiapte or project our sport in a positive way..(before everyone piles on)

Thing is, this good side stories only make the headlines so often no matter well you promote them .... bad ones make it all the time. But we have to keep doing what we do and that is do our best to show the good side.

Free pass weekend would be great, unfortunatly it's not feasable with current insurance legislation and laws.

Thing is, this good side stories only make the headlines so often no matter well you promote them .... bad ones make it all the time. But we have to keep doing what we do and that is do our best to show the good side.

Free pass weekend would be great, unfortunatly it's not feasable with current insurance legislation and laws.

I know there must be a way to get around this liability bulsh!t. I am getting so sick and tired of all this. I help run an outdoors camp for kids aged 13-16 one of the activities is proper firearm handling, yes in this day and age. I along with many associates still teach proper safety and firearm handling, complete with live fire rounds or both low recoil rimfire and centre fire cartidges. We managed to work around the liability issues WITH THE PROVINCE ON OUR SIDE. they help us fund this wonderfull campaign which teaches young people about the outdoors, conservation, "survival techniques", fishing (fly), camping outdoors, hunting (archery and firearm) and more. Once upon a time we had liability issues as well. but we found a way with organizations like Duck Unlimited, OFAH, MOE, MNR, Province of Ontario, and local Councilers. Rick There is always a way. I know that you have been doing great things out east and that there are other members on this board alone who also have done and continue to do great things. But I sincerely believe that we need to fight for a common goal which is to solidify snowmobiliing as an Ontario heritage, much like MNR and OFAHhave accomplished with fishing in this province. Only then will we have the power to get more and more people on board.

Case in Point:

Last year I was at Bass Pro getting some Ice Fishing gear for my 3 year old (yes 3) I ran into a guy there that had no idea about ice fishing but he said that he heard it was family fishing weekend and wanted to get out. I told him to try his hand at perch off Big Bay Point or inissville beach area. I saw him there with is wife, and their children. he recognized me and inivited my son and I for a hot chocolate we chatted he said that he had not had this much fun since he was a kid. I saw him several weeks later back at Bass Pro buying more gear rods, jackets, toboggan...Why because he was allowed to try it for free.

We need to find a way

I know there must be a way to get around this liability bulsh!t. I am getting so sick and tired of all this. I help run an outdoors camp for kids aged 13-16 one of the activities is proper firearm handling, yes in this day and age. I along with many associates still teach proper safety and firearm handling, complete with live fire rounds or both low recoil rimfire and centre fire cartidges. We managed to work around the liability issues WITH THE PROVINCE ON OUR SIDE. they help us fund this wonderfull campaign which teaches young people about the outdoors, conservation, "survival techniques", fishing (fly), camping outdoors, hunting (archery and firearm) and more. Once upon a time we had liability issues as well. but we found a way with organizations like Duck Unlimited, OFAH, MOE, MNR, Province of Ontario, and local Councilers. Rick There is always a way. I know that you have been doing great things out east and that there are other members on this board alone who also have done and continue to do great things. But I sincerely believe that we need to fight for a common goal which is to solidify snowmobiliing as an Ontario heritage, much like MNR and OFAHhave accomplished with fishing in this province. Only then will we have the power to get more and more people on board.

Case in Point:

Last year I was at Bass Pro getting some Ice Fishing gear for my 3 year old (yes 3) I ran into a guy there that had no idea about ice fishing but he said that he heard it was family fishing weekend and wanted to get out. I told him to try his hand at perch off Big Bay Point or inissville beach area. I saw him there with is wife, and their children. he recognized me and inivited my son and I for a hot chocolate we chatted he said that he had not had this much fun since he was a kid. I saw him several weeks later back at Bass Pro buying more gear rods, jackets, toboggan...Why because he was allowed to try it for free.

We need to find a way

For large groups best way I could personaly find is hosting the demo rides we've been doing for quite a few years, sleds are already permited and riders get instruction, sign a waver and are guided on a predetermend loop by a lead, sweep and mid pack sleds. The OFSC, manu's and other partners are doing the same on a provincial level with the Go Snowmobiling Give It A Try Tour. Just declairing trails open for anyone to ride without some type of contract for use by riders opens a big legal door no matter how you slice it.

Promoting and doing the Bring A Friend Riding idea gets people out, and in the best scenario of all, with someone who's passionate about the sport and experienced. If every permit buyer could take a least 2 people out each season for a short afternoon ride and show them the sport, that would introduce well over 100,000 people to the sport each season. (if you only have one sled or are unsure of their ablities double them at first, then on the back with them riding, then let them do a small loop on their own)

The sled will be staying in the shed that weekend if it ever happens.

The sled will be staying in the shed that weekend if it ever happens.

Do you leave your car in the garage on a daily basis as well? :banghead: That is really not the atitude to have if you want to promote our sport. Or dare I say that you were born with a sled in hands and that you never "learned" or were ever a first timer. Com'on, you want places to ride, you want cheaper insurance, you want a stronger OFSC and better land owner cooperation then you need more people playing/paying. This way there can be greater insurance offerings, more places to ride, more land owners on board and overall great acceptance of the sport. but hey I guess people getting drunk and racing across simcoe is the picture we want painted :headbang:

Archived