New Grooming Drag!!!!!

The Groomer Guy

Are they running the tractor without tracks on the trail?

Many of the clubs in Michigan run wheeled tractors. We don't get the snow you do!

Reviews on the drag have been mixed. It does make a nice trail, but there are A LOT of moving parts on the drag. Hitting sticks and rocks is not good for it either. They are also VERY expensive compared to a regular drag. Time will tell on how well it will work.

We don't get the snow you do!

We don't seem to get any, so I have my doubts about the accuracy of your statement. ;)

The one groomer around here is running Mattrack-style tracks this season. Looks like a good setup, but I can't see it being much more effective than tires if by the extremely slim chance we actually got some snow.

Related question (not quite hijacking :) )

Years ago, there was debate about encouraging a tree canopy (ie more shade) vs cutting back so more snow falls on the trail.

The benefit of a tree canopy would be shade, and without direct sunshine on the trail, more sledding in March in mid Ontario.

The drawback to a tree canopy would be snow caught in trees and not actually falling on the trail.

Since you appear to be dragging snow, I'd side with those in favour of a tree canopy. (but I know $0.00 about this - so it's your thoughts that matter :) )

Of course, you can have a tree canopy over a trail.. but with bogs and swamps linking forests, .. spring sledding is often pooched anyways.

Still..is there a long term plan? ie planting, encouraging tree growth for canopy effect? Or, at least, not cutting back as much?

Thanks again for groooming, guys.

Looks really cool. I would think it would be better in an area with plenty of snow. I'd want to avoid the rocks, ouch.

Don't let REVED drive it :shock:

Looks really cool. I would think it would be better in an area with plenty of snow. I'd want to avoid the rocks, ouch.

:rotflmao::coffeespit:

Actually, too find the rocks, let REVED ride in front of you, just don't follow his tracks and you'll be safe!

Actually, too find the rocks, let REVED ride in front of you, just don't follow his tracks and you'll be safe!

:angry: :curse: :evil::arsehole::argh::smashpc:

It does look really cool. The extra cost incured in the drag could be offset by the fact that you don't need a tractor converted over to a groomer. (less maintnance) This way clubs could just lease a tractor for the winter from local farmers wanting to make money on their equipment in the winter. Given the fact that there are so many extra moving parts in it. It would only be best used mid season when there is alot of snow.

But what do i know?? :wtf:

Ebert welding in New Liskeard were working on one with a US university. Ian Auger showed us a video and it certainly would be a big help on high traffic low obstacle trails like the Seguin . The biggest obstacle was the weight and speed of the design (too heavy for the older bridges too slow to make it across and back in 12-14 hrs ) But the science behind it makes sense . More info was posted on ebertwelding.com although I have not checked it lately.

would be good for those hard icy bumpy trails you cant cut that we hardly ever see. Imagine trying to keep that operating at -30c though lol.

Wow running a groomer on wheels, lol. I had both our tracked groomers burried in a swamp yesterday, had to get an excavator in to pull them out. I was climbing hills yesterday and just barely making it with the BR180 and i didn't even have a drag on.

Related question (not quite hijacking :) )

Years ago, there was debate about encouraging a tree canopy (ie more shade) vs cutting back so more snow falls on the trail.

The benefit of a tree canopy would be shade, and without direct sunshine on the trail, more sledding in March in mid Ontario.

The drawback to a tree canopy would be snow caught in trees and not actually falling on the trail.

Since you appear to be dragging snow, I'd side with those in favour of a tree canopy. (but I know $0.00 about this - so it's your thoughts that matter :) )

Well, It's had to Tell, it depends On how much snow you got and the Base, if you got a Hard Iced base it will last longer.Trees make shade and Keeps the temps lower on the trail As for the trees stoping the snow from going to the ground....Well it will Happend but, with a Bit of Wind the snow will end up on the trail anyways. We got Big Logging roads up here that run in Big Clear cutes for Miles and those roads seem to last longer late iin the Season, Maybe it's because the Ice base built up better on those trails......It's had to say. lol

This groomer looks impressive, however the club that was running it around Grayling, Michigan has already sent it back and now is running the traditional pan groomer behind the new JD.

Did they say why they Returned? had too many problems. Anyone Know What Company it is?

Archived