TRAIL MAP FOR TEMISKAMING/ABITIBI (QUEBEC)

Swamprat

Does anyone know how to get a trail map for the entire area around the Temiskaming/Abitibi area into Quebec. we want to dump in New Liskeard, cross the lake and hit the trails in Quebec. Maybe spend 3-4 days over there. I tried there trail association website, but they are chepa downloadable maps that won't hold up. When you try to click on the "Contact" section, it doesn't give you any info.

If you are using a Garmin GPS I made a custom trail map covering all of Quebec which has the trails color coded...trans-Quebec trails are blue/white border with square shaped floating trail numbers, regional trails are green/white border with rounded shaped floating trail numbers and local trails are magenta/white border.

Download map here...open zip file and read the READ_ME_FIRST.txt file for installation/use instructions. Be sure you have the latest version software for both your GPS and Mapsource...which can be downloaded from Garmin's website for FREE.

Quebec GPS Trail Map

Screenshot from a Garmin 276c showing how trails will appear.

QBGPSScreen.jpg

Here are the Quebec trails that are covered in your drop-off area

NewLiskeardSouth.jpg

NewLiskeardNorth.jpg

rws, can you email me (or direct me to them) the tracks for that area? We're leaving New Liskeard on Sunday heading for Amos. I've drawn some tracks using the ACMAT trail map, but would like something more accurate.

Send it to mxz_kris at sympatico dot ca

Thanks

Thanks for sharing RWS!!

rws, can you email me (or direct me to them) the tracks for that area? We're leaving New Liskeard on Sunday heading for Amos. I've drawn some tracks using the ACMAT trail map, but would like something more accurate.

Send it to mxz_kris at sympatico dot ca

Thanks

You can extract track data from the file available on the FCMQ Site

Thanks for the heads up.

I downloaded the file, but GPS Babel is down right now so I can't convert the file to a .gdb. Hopefully it's just temporary.

Hows come doo you refer to / is this area known as - "Abbitibbi area"?

This is quite a ways from the Abbitibbi River / lake.

???

Hows come doo you refer to / is this area known as - "Abbitibbi area"?

This is quite a ways from the Abbitibbi River / lake.

???

If you look on the FCMQ site that is what the area from Ville Marie north towards Amos is called. Abitibi Lake is @ the NW corner of the region.

rws, I tried converting the unzipped .kml file w/ GPS Babel & I get a "page cannot be opened" message. I emailed Adam who runs the GPSVisualizer site & he didn't know what would be causing the problem.

If you could create a .gdb file w/ TQ83, TQ93, RT307 & any area waypoints, & post it here, it would be appreciated.

rws, I tried converting the unzipped .kml file w/ GPS Babel & I get a "page cannot be opened" message. I emailed Adam who runs the GPSVisualizer site & he didn't know what would be causing the problem.

If you could create a .gdb file w/ TQ83, TQ93, RT307 & any area waypoints, & post it here, it would be appreciated.

If the online GPSVisualizer version of GPSBabel is giving you trouble download GPSBabel and install on your computer.

Let me know if that works for you.

If the online GPSVisualizer version of GPSBabel is giving you trouble download GPSBabel and install on your computer.

I'll try that tonight.

I'll try that tonight.

Or why not use my Quebec custom map...has all the trails and with floating trail numbers

I've tried downloading the maps & transferring them & never had any success. I think I'd have to have somebody show me how to do it.

For our trips I make a file for our route & create tracks for each day & any extra trails we may use. 16 tracks for this year's trip. As we venture along, I delete any "drawn" or not needed tracks to create space.

We also carry the maps for the districts we'll be in.

Bryan. I've got all the maps at home. Stop by and pick them up!

I've tried downloading the maps & transferring them & never had any success. I think I'd have to have somebody show me how to do it.

First off what Garmin GPS model do you have?

By following the instructions in the READ_ME_FIRST.txt (included in the zip file) at what point are you having trouble? I can certainly try to help make it a success for you.

It's a Legend Cx. Whenever I attempt the transfer, I have to reload my Tracks & Waypoints software into the GPS.

Maybe before next winter I'll sit down when I have time to spare & attempt it.

It's a Legend Cx. Whenever I attempt the transfer, I have to reload my Tracks & Waypoints software into the GPS.

Maybe before next winter I'll sit down when I have time to spare & attempt it.

Uploading a map be it a custom map or one of Garmin's maps such as Canada Topo or City Navigator should not effect any tracks or waypoints you have loaded on your GPS. Maps are loaded onto seperate memory from tracks/waypoints.

However any time you upload a map it will overwrite any previous maps you had on the GPS. Say you already had some Topo maps on your GPS and you then wanted to upload some City Navigator maps...well when you upload the Navigator maps it will overwrite the Topo maps. When you upload maps you must select all the maps you want and upload them all in one shot...ie select the Topo maps with the Map Tool, then switch to the City Navigator maps and select maps with the Map Tool..then you would click the Send to Device icon to upload the combined mapset to your GPS. The same would apply when uploading my Quebec trail maps.

Downloaded GPSBabel this morning & was able to do the conversion.

Thank's again for the help

:right_on:

I got the tracks plotted for our route. Just curious as to how they did things. There were lots of tracks that were just 2 or 3 points & a couple of hundred feet long. Seemed odd to me.

My brother (30cal4me) was talking to the front desk @ the NL Quality Inn. They're supposed to be getting some permits in this week. Tri Town Motorsports in NL is also supposed to have FCMQ permits.

Archived