D Trail: Searchmont - Half Way Haven - Wawa question

Gasgeber

Hallo,

since it is the first time I am going to ride snowmobiles next week I have the following question:

How busy is the above mentioned trail? (especially weekdays). Do we have to worry in case of breakdowns or other not planned happenings more than on other trails?

I am asking since I noticed that for quite a long way there is no street or town or anything on the way.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks and Greetings

Gasgeber

not much traffic to speak of after you get out of the soo. last saturday the wife and myself went from searchmont to halfway haven, then to chapleau and on to flame lake lodge. all totalled 220 miles we saw 14 sleds. that was on a saturday.

make sure the selds are up on their maintainence, make sure to carry survival gear (enough to last at least a night in the bush). make sure to have tow strap, fuel siphon, first aid and fire starting equipement, DRINKING WATER, u.s cell phones do not work up there at this time due to a contract issue with ontario's provider.

if you have a sled break down you make a decision based on how long your trip is and where you are at on your trip. you either push on to the next destination, or go back. usually you can get a local to help transport the sled back to your original tow vehicle or repairing dealer for a nominal fee.

please be kind to these people who tow your stuff around, they pay close to 5.00 per gallon for gas (both ways remember, they have to get home too), wear and tear on their vehicle to tow yours, plus their time. so pay them fairly. most have set fees but tips are always appreciated. ski

Gasgeber, you are heading into one of the most desolate pieces of trail out there between Searchmont and Wawa. Once you leave Searchmont you likely will only meet one or two groups on a weekday.

You are on your own out there and not likely to find a german speaking mechanic if you need one. The only trail I've found more desolate is the A107A east of Longlac, and that trail at least crosses a highway a few times.

Don't let this concept deter you, as you likely be fine, but if you arent' resourceful you might at least want to call ahead to Halfway Haven to let them know you are heading their way. If they don't see you for a day or so they'll call the authorities at least and tell them where to look for you guys.

I was up a few years ago with a few guys and one missed a corner, got wrapped around a tree about 35 miles north of Searchmont, broke his leg in 3 places. Luckily a fisherman came thru and we were able to load him on the sleigh and get him out. Had to fabricate splints out of tree branches and tightened them onto his leg with ratchet straps. :curse: There is the resourceful thing at work....

I've got halfway's direct number around here somewhere if you need it. It might even be on the maps.

gasgeber, why dont you tell us how many people you have, how long you have, and where you are thinking about going, and we can point you into some safe areas for a fun trip?

dont be discouraged by what we tell you about this area, just be prepared and you will have a great time. michigans trails do not even come close to what ontario has to offer. beleive me, i live in michigan, and 95% of my trail miles are in ontario. literally you couldnt pay me to ride in michigan, unless we were riding offtrail and i was assured i would be seeing any real trails.

where is your friend in michigan from? how many miles a day would you guys like to ride? expirienced group, sight seeing group, fast, slow ect.... what do you guys like to do? fill in the blanks and we can get you on your way to having a great trip. ski

Hello,

I'm Gasgeber's Mi friend. This is our first time snowmobiling. I bought a 99 Skidoo Formula III 700 and a 98 Polaris Ultra 680 last Oct. and Dec. respectively. I've been playing around on the farm and have found that off trail deep powder is very fun. I like to get the back end sliding around and like hitting moguls and small jumps. I don't care about opening it up for top speed. We are looking at going up to Wawa because of all the deep lake effect snow up that way.

I'm the mechanic in our group and I'm worried we don't know enough to try such a long trip so far from resources. For example, we don't even know what kind of gas milage we will be getting. Any tips for planning a safe and fun trip are very much appreciated.

The first 52 klicks out of Searchmont there is fair possabilities of seeing locals(fish camps), but once past there it will likely be just trail riders. This is a SUPER ride! Don't git all werked up aboot it. Top off the gas in Searchmont and use the pay phone there to call ahead to Halfway if it will make you feel better. This is what we all used to doo back before this trail was well traveled or when breaking any new section of trail anywhere open - before we bought the SAT phone.

NO cell phones werk there! I don't care who you are - only SAT and radio phones werk out in the bush or almost anywhere north of the Soo. There is service up on Hwy 11, but not down in the mountains.

Other than logging roads - there is no roads from Searchmont 'till you git to Wawa! GOTTA LOVE IT! But with all the logging in the last number of yrs that trail does not seem NEARLY as remote as it once was. :cry:

The Doo's should make it the distance, but if concerned - throw a 2.5gal can on at least one of the machines.

With two machines and a small can of gas, you should easilly make it in to Halfway Haven. It's not that likely that both machines will die at the same time. If one runs outta gas before you cross the Montreal River (Steel Bailey bridge - should be signed) then leave it and come back for it later. No biggie.

Hallo,

wow, that is nice of you.

I am from Hamburg, Germany, my friend is from Greenville, Michigan. We are two people, we are both new to Snowmobiling and it will our first trip.

From what we have researched and for the fact that we want to do off-trail riding in good snow if possible we were planning 150-200 Km per day, which shouldnt be too much if I am right.

I guess we want to do scenic riding, medium fast, with off-trail and trail riding as said (if possible).

We start on Feb 10th and finish on Feb 21st. Original plan is:

10th St. Ignace - St. Joseph Island (if ice bridge is open, which is still a concern, see my other thread)

11th St. Josep Island - Spanish

12th Stay in Spanish (e.g. drive Manitoulin island if possible)

13th Spanish - Sudbury

14th Sudbury - Elliot lake

15th Elliot Lake - St. Ignace

16th drive to Drummond Island to watch MIRA races, stay in St. Ignace

17th 2nd day of races on Drummond Island and continue to Paradise, MI

18th Paradise

19th Munising

20th Munising

21st back to St. Ignace

22nd back to Greenville

I know there are possiblities like snow/storm conditions, melt conditions and we might have to flexible.

Like said, we wanted to do drive the ice bridge, do Canadian trail riding, UP riding with LES snow and off riding wherever possible and safe.

Now we want to replan the Canadian part and skip Sudbury and go further north or west instead (Aubrey falls, Searchmont, Half way haven... we are not sure yet)

Any help is appreciated, I already say thank you for any input and help,

Greetings

Timo

Races on the island?

Is the I-500 over with by now?

------

There may be service down on 17 east of the Soo I guess if that's the area you are looking at. ??? But this may be subject to what Doo (Yammi) Boy was sayin'.

Hi Ox,

According to their website the I-500 is going on today. Here is the schedule:

MIRA

2008 SCHEDULE as of January 24, 2008

Jan 19 - 20 ER

Jan 26-27 Michigan CAT 300 at Lincoln

Feb 2 I500

Feb 9-10 OPEN

Feb 16-17 Drummond

Feb 23-24 OPEN

Mar 1-2 Michigan CAT 500 at Lincoln

what you need to think about is, there is no direct way from st ignace to drummond (read, no ice bridge) or vise versa. you would have to trail ride from st ignace to detour via the eastern up trail system (not a short or easy ride), then get on the ferry at detour go accross to drummond island, then ride the trails to the opposite side of drummond pick up the beach trail and out onto lake huron to the treeline (ice bridge) to st joseph island, then st joe's to the treeline (ice bridge) to thessalon, echo bay, or wherever you decide to land on ontario's side.

if you really want to see the races on drummond and have a great adventure, keep your plan the way it is, but after the race, trailer to wawa 2.25 hours north of saulte ste marie. and base out of there day riding to white river, halfway haven, ernies at missanabi, and stop and see reg and luc in dubreuilville. the traffic in the u.p. will be enough to turn you off from sledding for awhile. that is why i suggest going further north than the soo.

i would seriously look at your mileage guesses for your elliot lake to st ignace day (seems like a big day).

as far as the ice bridge, in my opinion it isnt anything spectacular. it is nothing more than a few used xmastrees placed on the ice showing you the way from one island to the next accross a few sheltered bays of lake huron. in 1998 they actually had a quick solid freeze and great weather conditions and the straight shot ice bridge from drummond directly accross to thessalon was open. me and my girls rode accross that and it was a long way accross there but, it was just like riding on any other lake.

remember you are both new or renewed to sledding, the sleds are used and untested and you are going to an unfamilier area to you both. i wouldnt bite off a big trip right off the get go, especially saddlebagging multiple overnights. might be better to go to one area and day ride for a few days.

main thing is be prepared for the worse, and be open for plan changes cause as they say $h!t happends. ski

I'm gunna back up DooBoy on this one.

Doo to machine and rider experience (not much on one and a lot on the other'n) it would be very wise to not ever git more than a days ride from the truck.

I have never rode east of the Soo, but one of our guys rides with another crew over that way once a yr and has good things to say aboot it. Otherwise I would agree to base outta Wawa or Dubeuilvile and satalite out from there. Dubre may be a good place as you can make Halfway in a day and ride back the next as well as the whole Superior Challange Loop!

http://www.wawa.cc/TourismInternal.aspx?ID=223

Looks like Gordy took the photo op? :wtf:

http://www.nossa.ca/East%20Map.htm

Ok - given the experience level on snowmobiling and everything I've read about the two of you here would be my suggestion.

1. There is no place in the world better to ride than in northern Ontaro in my book ( we'll gloss over the Quebec thing for this discussion ). I'd say riding Wawa to Hearst and the Top A is a must. I'd skip over the ice bridge deal any day in exchange for riding way up north.

2. If you want to experience lake effect snow you are on track to think Munising ( or better, the Keewenau (sp?) penninsula ).

So - I'd put the sleds on the trailer and drive the things to Wawa. The whole German guy coming thru a remote border crossing thing is eliminated - you get past the bridge in the Soo you are set....

Start riding in Wawa and either loop around the White River/Manito/Dubeillville/Missinabi area for a few days, or bee-line it for Hearst. Certain parts of this area can be as remote as the piece from Searchmont to Wawa, but the terrain isn't quite as challenging. If you get to Hearst and east of there it will feel like you are in a constant metropolis compared to the trails from Wawa up. Spend 6 or 7 days in this area.

When your week pass is about up, get them back on the trailer, and go to the UP and finish off the trip. By all means use the majority of your 10 days in Ontario.

edit: well hells bells, in the time it took me to formulate my thoughts and type them in ( while attempting to keep a 2.5 yr old from destroying the house) the two smart guys above got to post a lot of my thoughts. Since I see we all mention Wawa, I might as well add - I've probably ridden 25,000 miles in Ontario since '99 and can probably think of 6 different times when we ran into mechanical or weather problems and though "why didn't we have the truck in Wawa!!!" Something about that last 200 miles to the Soo always throws a wrench in our plan.

Hallo guys,

thanks for all your input. I just got off the phone with my Michigan friend, we were just rerouting our trip to two nights in Elliot Lake and two nights in Searchmont instead of going to Sudbury, when continuing to read this thread.

Basically you saying two things:

- Stay at the beginning closer to car/trailer

- Go to Wawa rather then Elliot Lake/St. Joseph Island/Searchmont

1st: Well, the Wawa area is quite large with few people. You think this area will be more appropriate for us then Searchmont <> Wawa concerning the wilderness? As far as I can see the distances are quite far up there with few towns around (I noted that you already partly answered this question, I just want to make sure I understood you right)

2nd: Why Wawa rather than Elliot Lake/Searchmont. Are the Sceneries, the trails, the views... nicer up there? Why do you all say Wawa<>Hearst and Top A trail is a must?

Wow - we learnt a lot today again.

Greetings

Timo

Gents,

It's great that you are so interested in getting into the sport. I couldn't agree more with the advice you're getting here. I have been doing saddlebag tours around Ontario for about 8 years. We always travel in a larger group, 5 - 8. Just a few of the items that I can recall on some of our trips; new 02 ZR800 hit shore ice in North Bay - end of trip for 1, delay for everyone, new 04 Viper (50 miles) blew engine in North Bay - end of trip for 1, delay for everyone, 1 year old T660, rider missed turn in Hornepayne end of trip for 2, delay for everyone. In addition, there have also been numerous minor mechanical difficulties that have caused delays. With older equipment, I think you're looking for trouble. With two riders it is going to make it more difficult to get help if something should happen.

That being said, and we all know this, that even with new equipment things can and do go wrong. Prepare for the worst.

I should also mention that we are trail riders, not (intentionally) venturing off into the soft stuff where you can find all types of hidden treasures; stumps, rocks, ditches....

My advice would be to stay closer to your vehicle for this trip and always let someone know where you're going and when to expect you.

Good Luck,

AO

gasgeber, we prefer the northwestern area of northern ontario for sledding for a few reasons. easy access, one road (hwy 17 N) beautiful drive when the weather isnt howling. the area get copious amounts of lake effect snows (closer to lake superior). the more inland you go the more they need system snow to develope their base. it is a little more remote with all the ammenities. less people on trails with same or similar services. kinda like riding in the northern lower v.s the U.P. different terrain, lots better scenery.

make sure you check into elliot lake accomodations, heard alot of the big lodges are closed due to the past logging and poor snow seasons taking toll on their business. heard laurentian is closed. the area from spanish elliot lake ect... on the northern shore of lake huron and although you are in ontario and riding, you are not truely getting a feeling of riding in the north country till you get north towards the wawa sudbury line if you will.

you want a true comparrison? trailer to elliot lake ride out of there for 3 days. then trailer to wawa or dubreuilville, ride out of there for 3 days you tell me which you like better when you return. i know where i am putting my bet at. not taking anything away from the north shore riders or their area. but north west of superior is a better area for snowfall period. you only need wind and the lake to not freeze (superior does not freeze over all the way). when a small storm comes over the lake, it gets big and sets in and stays with the lake effect machine dumping more snow than you can imagine.

both of the wawa dub areas have multiple TOP trail, trails leaving their towns accessing all the directions of the compass connecting you to all trails in northern ontario. the wawa dub, hornepayne, hearst trail section isnt nicknamed the autobahn for no reason. has multiple terrain changes, multiple different towns and heritages. it definately is on the must see list if up there. ski

First - good luck with your trip! Good adventure!

-from the point of view of someone who keeps track of the all the info in this area for future use:

-your 'support' infrastructure is going to be better in the Wawa/Dub area just by the fact that many contribute to this forum and can be contacted ahead of time - Jonesy, Big Reg, Groomer Guy, and other regulars on this forum that are right in the area. We seem to be light on reporters from Elliot Lake, Blind River.

-after having helped (interestingly enough) two German tourists who had rented a sled in the Parry Sound area and were really poorly outfitted - not even a trail map, wearing hiking boots- I would get to know your comfort level in extreme cold conditions and make sure you've got the gear. Several years of sledding remote ice roads in Canada's Northwest Territories dictates to me anyway that Arctic boots, down jackets, heavy mitts are the way to go. That being said I freeze really easily. Others, including yourself, might be more hardy!

Look forward to hearing about your travels. ;)

Timo, I would not plan on more than 150 miles a day if you want to play a bit.

Like others, I SERIOUSLY suggest you base in Wawa. It is a perfect place to hub and spoke ride. You have a good destination every day and much better snow. It's worth the drive up 17 to get there.

I would do.

Wawa to Missnabbi via Dub.

Wawa to Hornepayne (Big mileage day, but incredible trails)

Wawa to White River

Wawa to Chapleau

Wawa local loops (Magpie)

There are enough of us on the forum to get you the details you need. Check out MO's website for pictures and info too!

Thanks for all the great replies. Taking your advice, Gasgeber and I are going to change our plan and come up to Wawa. We had planned on buying our trail permit on Drummond Island. Can anyone tell us where we can get our permit now, so that we are supporting the Wawa area clubs?

Thanks

Here's the link to the Wawa club - has all the trail permit info and maps of loops etc.:

http://www.dubreuilville.ca/

Jone's Powersports is located just south of Wawa and the 'big goose' on Highway 17 - also is a member of this forum. You'll pass coming up from Sault Ste. Marie on the left hand side.

With regards to the Wawa Motor Inn, I believe Slow Touring Guy's entourage stayed there and it was handy to the trail. (unfortunately we lost his trail report with the forum server crash)

A new place to try (just being open during winter this year) is High Falls Motel / Cabins. Kitchen, cable TV, less expensive, but you'd have to purchase some food and cook for yourself as no restaurant, but trail is right through parking lot:

First - good luck with your trip! Good adventure!

-after having helped (interestingly enough) two German tourists who had rented a sled in the Parry Sound area and were really poorly outfitted - not even a trail map, wearing hiking boots- I would get to know your comfort level in extreme cold conditions and make sure you've got the gear. Several years of sledding remote ice roads in Canada's Northwest Territories dictates to me anyway that Arctic boots, down jackets, heavy mitts are the way to go. That being said I freeze really easily. Others, including yourself, might be more hardy!

Look forward to hearing about your travels. ;)

Thanks and I do sincerly believe we are better prepared than those other two fellowers;) Ok, I still have to buy my boots, but since German shoes/boots are not prepared for arctic cold I believe US/Canada is a better place for that kind of shopping - lol.

We will share our trip experience later.

Greetings

Timo

A new place to try (just being open during winter this year) is High Falls Motel / Cabins. Kitchen, cable TV, less expensive, but you'd have to purchase some food and cook for yourself as no restaurant, but trail is right through parking lot:

Archived