Recent trail reports: Ahmic Lake, Dunchurch north towards Port Loring/Restoule?

danmarsh50

Heading up to my cottage (just north of Dunchurch on Wah Wash Kesh Lake) on Sunday for the week. I typically do most of my riding from Ardbeg north to port loring/restoule/north bay. Just curious with the recent cold weather and snow if anyone has been on the land and/or lake trails around this area within the past two days? Seems like the recent snow was more prevalent south around Kearny, Huntsville. Thinking I should I should adjust my typical riding plan and head southeast from my cottage instead of north towards North Bay? At any rate - great to finally have weather condusive to snowmobiling!

Heading up to my cottage (just north of Dunchurch on Wah Wash Kesh Lake) on Sunday for the week. I typically do most of my riding from Ardbeg north to port loring/restoule/north bay. Just curious with the recent cold weather and snow if anyone has been on the land and/or lake trails around this area within the past two days? Seems like the recent snow was more prevalent south around Kearny, Huntsville. Thinking I should I should adjust my typical riding plan and head southeast from my cottage instead of north towards North Bay? At any rate - great to finally have weather condusive to snowmobiling!

I talked to the club president of Cramadog and apparently they did get quite a bit of snow but are not using thier big groomer yet only sleds to groom.

I talked to the club president of Cramadog and apparently they did get quite a bit of snow but are not using thier big groomer yet only sleds to groom.

Was up there yesterday - Trails were crap near Arbeg - lake trail to Loring was OK - heard land trail to Loring is very rough!!

Was up there yesterday - Trails were crap near Arbeg - lake trail to Loring was OK - heard land trail to Loring is very rough!!

Yeh I heard BRUTAL !!!!!!!!!!!

Yeh I heard BRUTAL !!!!!!!!!!!

BRUTAL isn't a strong enough word. I just got home from a trip from Orrville to Adeg and every trail from the Jolley (the by-pass) to Ardbeg and back was horrific. They are definitly short on snow...so...I'm sure it's tough. Still had fun though...and no traffic :).

BRUTAL isn't a strong enough word. I just got home from a trip from Orrville to Adeg and every trail from the Jolley (the by-pass) to Ardbeg and back was horrific. They are definitly short on snow...so...I'm sure it's tough. Still had fun though...and no traffic :).

When is WriteTwisted bringing you over here? Although, it's a shame with the two bridges out and the lake open and everthing, that you really can't get here from there.

When is WriteTwisted bringing you over here? Although, it's a shame with the two bridges out and the lake open and everthing, that you really can't get here from there.

I heard rumours that Mr. Twisted was going to grace our presence this weekend?!?!?! I was VERY disappointed to learn that he was MIA...again...

Rest assured if the invite is given broken bridges and open water will be a walk in the park compared to Sunday's adventure...so becareful what you wish for :).

Good News Cramadog Groomer is out today on C104D

spot.PNG

smufz, it's about time we were up there about 2 or 3 weeks ago and there was no reason that trail hadn't been groomed. Haven't figured out what is going on in the PSSD but it sure has been a poor year over there for grooming. - Bill

I heard that someone lost the keys to the groomer....I don't know for sure...but that's what I heard :).

smufz, it's about time we were up there about 2 or 3 weeks ago and there was no reason that trail hadn't been groomed. Haven't figured out what is going on in the PSSD but it sure has been a poor year over there for grooming. - Bill

Cramadog is NOT part of PSSD .

According to this http://www.pssd.ca/index.php?nPage=2&nClub=4 Cramadog is part of PSSD. - Bill

Cramadog separated from PSSD several years ago but maitains a web link on the PSSD site as does Dun-ahmic who was never a working part of PSSD . As well they use other district services such as map etc.

Parry Sound Snowmobile District is a Grooming Association consisting of six of the eight clubs in OFSC District 10. The Association clubs work together both financially and physically as in equipment sharing to ensure that all clubs large and small have the ability to provide great trails. All of the PSSD industrial groomers have been out daily working since the mild spell ended. Uneducated comments are very upsetting to folks who are working as hard as we are.

I stand by my original post. A comment was made about grooming activities in PSSD when you are talking about a Cramadog trail. Remember not all areas were lucky enough to get as much snow as others.From one end of our district to the other there is a huge difference in the amount of snow on the ground. All of the clubs are doing the best they can with what they have to work with. As for riders from over here riding east I assume we are all to stay only in our own areas?

We headed up to Magnatwean today and did a loop from Kearney (D-C103D-711-C104D-C101-C103D-D). You can definitely notice the difference in base and snow depth the further north we got towards Mag....then over to C101. The top end of C101 had been freshly groomed - however - there are some exposed rocks still showing and lots of nasties just under the thin base.....however, the further south you travelling on C101 the better the base became! Definitely not as much snow to the north...so my advice would be to head south from your cottage and adjust your riding accordingly :wavey:

Happy Trails! :wavey:

Interesting comments on the trails to the north. I was planning a trip this Saturday up the C Bypass from the Jolly Roger to Ardbeg and back. What does the bypass trail & the trail from C to Ardbeg look like at this point?

Also, where's a good place to eat in Ardbeg?

I stand by my original post. A comment was made about grooming activities in PSSD when you are talking about a Cramadog trail. Remember not all areas were lucky enough to get as much snow as others.From one end of our district to the other there is a huge difference in the amount of snow on the ground. All of the clubs are doing the best they can with what they have to work with. As for riders from over here riding east I assume we are all to stay only in our own areas?

Cramadog was only an example, of many, as for "As for riders from over here riding east I assume we are all to stay only in our own areas?" do I have to spell it out for you? I thought maybe you could give it an "educated" guess and figure out what I meant, but if you can't just let me know and I will spell it out for you. - Bill

Interesting comments on the trails to the north. I was planning a trip this Saturday up the C Bypass from the Jolly Roger to Ardbeg and back. What does the bypass trail & the trail from C to Ardbeg look like at this point?

Also, where's a good place to eat in Ardbeg?

Our bypass trail is freshly groomed actually several passes since the weekend and is coming around nicely . I am told that Carling trails are real good with the exception of the hydro line but I understand that they have been putting maximum effort into it as well so I expect that they will be fine. As for where to eat in Ardbeg there is only one choice . Loggers restaraunt . It is under new ownership so I am unsure but have not heard any complaints and bad news usually travels quick so maybe no news is good news .

Thanks for the info Bill. I didn't want to take two fledgling sledders into a difficult ride.

We'll check out the eatery & post our opinion.

Thanks for the info Bill. I didn't want to take two fledgling sledders into a difficult ride.

We'll check out the eatery & post our opinion.

be aware that the trail north of the Jolly is also known as the mountain trail for good reason ! Stay right as sno-cross wanna bees love this trail and take a camera . If you are going to stop make sure that you clear the trail and ride safe .

I rode this trail once last winter - it's absolutely gorgeous! I'll be riding point & will make sure the guys behind me keep hard right. We saw a few throttle jocks last year as I recall.

I rode this trail once last winter - it's absolutely gorgeous! I'll be riding point & will make sure the guys behind me keep hard right. We saw a few throttle jocks last year as I recall.

Who are you calling a fledgling? :woot:

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger"

-Nietszche-

The top end of C101 had been freshly groomed - however - there are some exposed rocks still showing and lots of nasties just under the thin base.....however, the further south you travelling on C101 the better the base became! Happy Trails! :wavey:

Just goes to show ya....most years it's the other way around! Brutal physical geography on the trails in this area which takes a lot of snow to overcome. Last Sunday, some snow fell in the Lorimer Lake area, while south of Parry Sound the occasional white out and heavy snow on highway 400 south.

Archived