IN THE NEWS

ToSlow

Heard it on the news not to long ago, I think they said Lake Scugog, not 100% sure though.. All I caught was that they hit a tree.

From the Peterborough This Week:

(MARIPOSA TOWNSHIP) Two men who were riding on a snowmobile on Lake Scugog on the weekend were killed when the machine hit a tree on Saturday night (Jan. 16).

Kawartha Lakes OPP say the crash happened about 8:30 p.m. at a Washburn Island Road property, south of Little Britain. According to police, the men were riding across the lake when they came on shore and hit a tree in the backyard of the home.

Both men were thrown from the sled and police say they were pronounced dead at the scene.

The victims have been identified as Grzegorz Wawryniuk, 61, of Toronto and Wesley Sullivan, 56, of Whitby.

Go to: http://www.chextv.com/ Click on Snowmobile Fatality

Grzegorz Wawryniuk, 61, known as Greg, and Wesley Sullivan, 56 of Whitby, died Saturday night when thrown from a snowmobile on Lake Scugog's shore, near Lindsay.

Provincial police haven't released many details but said the two men were travelling across the lake at about 8:30 p.m.

They had just reached shore when they hit a tree. The impact threw the two friends from the vehicle, killing them instantly.

"We won't know the speed they were travelling at, or whether alcohol was a factor, until the investigation is completed," said OPP Const. Pete Corbitt. The autopsies will be performed on Monday.

The accident comes on the heels of several other snowmobile accidents in the province this year.

A 33-year-old man died near Petawawa a week ago when his machine hit a tree stump.

On Jan. 10, a 21-year-old Peterborough man died in a crash near Havelock, Ont. Provincial police said at the time the man had been travelling along a highway shoulder when he struck a mailbox and was thrown onto the roadway.

The same day, a 19-year-old woman died in Amherstburg, south of Windsor, after a snowmobile became airborne and landed in a ditch.

In Toronto on Sunday, Blaskova said her father-in-law and his friend knew enough not to combine snowmobile riding and alcohol.

Wawryniuk left for his cottage on Lake Scugog Saturday morning. He liked to go there as much as he could throughout the year, said Blaskova.

"He survived communism in Poland, tough times in a new country and heart attacks ... and died like this. Unbelievable," she said. "He was looking forward to the summer. He had so many plans.

"He wanted to take Adam fishing ... fixing a boat, things that granddads do with their grandsons."

Wawryniuk left Poland more than 20 years ago. He spent a year in Italy before coming to Canada.

"One of his favourite stories is about how he got a personal audience with Pope John Paul II," said Blaskova. At Wawryniuk's apartment building, long-term residents were in shock.

"He was the super for ... maybe 15 years," said one resident over the phone. "He was a friend to most of us."

Matt Coates, who moved in a few months ago, remembers seeing Greg with his grandson all the time. "He was always with the little boy. They seemed very close."

Clarifications to the article:

A 33-year-old man died near Petawawa a week ago when his machine hit a tree stump.

On Jan. 10, a 21-year-old Peterborough man died in a crash near Havelock, Ont. Provincial police said at the time the man had been travelling along a highway shoulder when he struck a mailbox and was thrown onto the roadway.

I was talking to the OPP on Sunday and the 1st accident was actually SW of Eganville on Lake Clear. The 2nd accident is the 1 I posted about last week & occurred on the outskirts of Lakefield, no where near Havelock.

Tragic. Condolences to family and friends.

My deepest condolences to the family...

What never ceases to amaze me is the ability of the media to portray our sport as dangerous with misquotes and or pure speculation.

How much do you want to bet the Cop interviewed also said mechanical failure as a possible cause but they omitted that part of the quote??

Obviously I don’t know the details and this may not be the thread to do this out of respect for the fallen, Mods feel free to move, but would it hurt their paper sales if they said its unknown if it was alcohol and or mechanical related?

Can ANYONE tell me WHY the Star HAD to report the other fatalities in Ontario this year and what the relevance to this story is other than the fact that the deaths were Sled related.

I mean WTF it’s more dangerous walking across the street in downtown Toronto than it is getting on a sled?

If they want to report on Sledding Fatalities then they should leave it to another day and or even do an expose so that our sport can actually have some sort of defence before they feed the sheeple their biased numbers.

I used to like the Star but I see they are no better than the rest of the controlled Media these days and just spin out Doom & Gloom so that the politicians can make up some more useless laws and or new taxes to restrict us even further .

My prediction is that some fruit loop down @ Queens Park is going to introduce legislation on seatbelts and airbags on sleds :crazy:

I mean WTF it’s more dangerous walking across the street in downtown Toronto than it is getting on a sled?

In the past few weeks we've had 3 pedestrians run over & killed by transit buses in the GTA. Also an elderly woman was run over @ an intersection by a tractor trailer making a right turn.

Could it be that people and/or the media can't figure out why any sane person would want to take part in our sport? They figure we all must be insane or hooligans to ride around on the snow in the cold (normally).

This is why I was ticked off in 1 of the other threads. The actions of each of us reflect on the sport. I'm probably not alone in saying that I've had to explain to others how much I enjoy the sport and don't know how I'd put in the winter w/o it.

Viper, I also agree about that the officer should err on the side of brevity. Mind you they see the direct consequences of bad decisions made during snowmobiling. That may colour their comments. I know 1 officer that had to investigate a fatal snowmobile accident. From what I understand it wasn't something anyone should have to deal w/.

Viper, I also agree about that the officer should err on the side of brevity. Mind you they see the direct consequences of bad decisions made during snowmobiling. That may colour their comments. I know 1 officer that had to investigate a fatal snowmobile accident. From what I understand it wasn't something anyone should have to deal w/.

Please let me CLARIFY that I personally think that the MEDIA left out the details on what the Cop actually said on scene, again it's only my personal opinion.

I think he said allot more and the media edited it to sell papers...

What really pisses me off is the fact that once this accident is determined that alcohol was NOT involved and it was NOT Operator Error will we EVER see a follow up story in this paper about how traggic this accident really was???

NO WE WILL NOT, they GOT their point across to the Sheeple in the Concrete Jungle that Snowmobiling is evil, nuff said...

NO WE WILL NOT, they GOT their point across to the Sheeple in the Concrete Jungle that Snowmobiling is evil, nuff said...

The only thing I took from the article is that the man was probably drinking. His daughter-in-law said alcohol involvement is highly unlikely, but we should still assume he was drinking, because nobody ever gets into an accident unless they have been drinking, right? It is tragic enough that this man lost his life, there is no need to attach drinking and driving to his name unless it is proven that he was.

It is just bad reporting. Since the internet became popular, nobody but old people stuck in their ways read the newspaper, leaving the industry with shrinking budgets and many papers near bankruptcy. Reduced budgets leave most publications without the ability to hire skilled reporters, which, in turn, reduces interest in new people looking to join the ranks of skilled reporters. Articles quality increasingly declines, turning more and more people to alternative sources. It becomes a downward spiral until the industry dies completely. It is not yet determined if the death will be alcohol related. :P

The only thing I took from the article is that the man was probably drinking. His daughter-in-law said alcohol involvement is highly unlikely, but we should still assume he was drinking, because nobody ever gets into an accident unless they have been drinking, right? It is tragic enough that this man lost his life, there is no need to attach drinking and driving to his name unless it is proven that he was.

It is just bad reporting. Since the internet became popular, nobody but old people stuck in their ways read the newspaper, leaving the industry with shrinking budgets and many papers near bankruptcy. Reduced budgets leave most publications without the ability to hire skilled reporters, which, in turn, reduces interest in new people looking to join the ranks of skilled reporters. Articles quality increasingly declines, turning more and more people to alternative sources. It becomes a downward spiral until the industry dies completely. It is not yet determined if the death will be alcohol related. :P

I give up sorry I said anything other than condolences to the families of those lost.

I give up

Give up on what? I basically was agreeing with you. :wtf:

I give up because its now OK to report CRAP within our society with NO Evidence, either in PRINT or via web it just becomes fact...

Sorry I should have clarified that, I was NOT disagreeing with you...

Senastionalism, sex and gore catch peoples interest and as a result sell. You can't help but feel for the families especially the grandson. It is a sad era we live in where the papers need to resort to these tactics to sell however let's not forget the local television. They show pictures regularly such as the smashed sled of the person who was in hospital when his sled hit a crack in the ice in Waubashene last weekend.

Senastionalism, sex and gore catch peoples interest and as a result sell. You can't help but feel for the families especially the grandson. It is a sad era we live in where the papers need to resort to these tactics to sell however let's not forget the local television. They show pictures regularly such as the smashed sled of the person who was in hospital when his sled hit a crack in the ice in Waubashene last weekend.
The single "Dirty Laundry", a denunciation of tabloid media, was Henley's all-time biggest hit.

That song pretty well sums it up & that was back '82. TV news is basically fluff, which 20 or 30 years ago wouldn't even be covered by the networks.

The sloppy reporting includes vague locations. We heard for a day that 4 sledders went into the water near Peterboro. That's a pretty big area. It wasn't until someone posted the CBC link, I didn't know it happened on Chandos (& I had been visited a cottage that evening).

Archived