We need help SSSC We got help ,LOTS

Wildbill

We have a huge issue with a swamp that will not freeze it currently only has 4 inches of ice and it is not getting better . The initial idea was to fix the ice but the abandoned colonizition road looks like the best plan . We are putting together a work party for tommorrow to reopen it . Lunch will be provided by the SSSC at the Jolly Roger/Quality Inn/Golden Griddle .(They are providing the club with an amazing sponsorship for this work party :woot: )

Feel free to call to be part of getting the bypass open.

Good on the Jolly Roger for helping you guys out that's awesome...

Good luck with this re-route Bill

Did you win on the Re-Route Bill ? Is that the swamps south of Sprucedale on D-Trail ?

Do you know anything about the swamps south of Sprucedale as they dont seem to be co-operating for that club either ?

D-trail just before it joins up with the sequin

D-trail just before it joins up with the sequin

That is an MSR trail try contacting Du ya wanna club . Those swamps look like a pai in the a$$ .

They are. What you see and what we ride on is a floating peat bog. Underneath is a seemingly bottomless pit of loon scat and beaver you know what... There is also a running creek at the south end that should have a bridge but there is no place to put pilings. Attempts at find somthing solid in the area failed when the steel rod that was used to find bottom sank into the bog.

Cold temps are the only hope we get there sometimes ... Trouble is that the bog is alive and never really does freeze without alot encouagement. I have packed that swamp a few times with sleds and it NOT something anybody wants to do. It is nasty, smelly and dirty work. Getting unstuck a dozen times (each sled, there was two of us) or so was the easy part, slogging around in the muck, wet and cold, was horrible.

Every time I ride that peice I always wonder how deep it might be in there...

Happy Sledding!

Scott

There is a short road detour you can take to avoid those swamps On D trail South of the sequin...However it is not really marked ,,...u cross a road to continue on D - but you would take that road north and turn left at the next road..

I wonder is this is the EXACT EXACT swamp (actualy river I would call it) that I dropped into two years ago. It's only about 1KLM from the Jolly Roger just north of it (on the trail that takes you to the really high hills near the 124). I was zipping along headed to the Jolly Roger at 10pm, and only saw the 75 ft long open water swamp right in the middle of the trail seconds before I hit it. I braked like crazy and stopped with the front half of my sled starting to fall into a 5 ft water. I jumped off the back and held it from sinking until my buddies came by a minute later.

Just then we saw some lights from someone behind us coming up the trail so I went to warn them about the 75 ft wide river opening. The guy says "Only 75 feet eh?". But there is HUGE Ice chunks sticking up and the water is moving fast and the ice chunks will grab your skis as you go across. He smiles and zooms right across. Then he zooms BACK a minute later and says "hey when my friends come by, you'd better stop them and warn them". We say sure. We see them 10 mins later, and they've got two sleds with three people. ZOOM. Gone through the water. Then other people are zooming back the other way (some two up even) from the Jolly Roger, saying hello as they zip by on the water (with the ice chunks). We felt like girls I tell ya.

It took us an hour to get my sled out of the river as the water was so deep I could not stand in it to push the sled out, and each time we tried to pull the sled back witha rope, the damn skis would slide UNDER the ice. We ended up getting a huge log and flipping the sled while holding the skis away from the ice. And of course we did get soaked.

After that, we were all too wet and tired to make it to the JR. Damn that was fun. I got the picture of me with my sunken sled before we pulled it out on the wall in my cottage.

Archived