Gravenhurst or Bracebridge Ride on Saturday

Izzy

Is anyone up for a ride in Gravenhurst or Bracebridge on Saturday.

The trails are listed as limited, but the muskoka web cam somes fresh tracks on the lake.

Add the rain tonight and the trails will be rough on the weekend , wouldnt be surprised if the MSR closes them by then :o

MM

That doesn't sound good, are there going to be any options within 3 hours of the city?

So wenailem1, I presume you're up there and know the present conditions...what do ya think are we good to go for this weekend? I ask because I'm contemplating going to Haliburton Forest but Gravenhurst is much closer for me

Gravenhurst may be closer to you but I think it will be a challenge riding in the area. Grooming was stopped a while ago; we took the stakes off the lake on D south of town. The roads are bare and many of the trails in the area rely on stretches of road to connect. There will be some trails holding up but if your intent is to do 'loops' or put on a good number of enjoyable miles I really think it will be tough to do.

I was in Gravenhurst last week, and SlowTouringGuy is right. I found the trials themseleves OK but the trail sections along the roads were terrible.

There still was snow on the bridge going over Hwy # 11.

As of 3/12/2009 10:46:19 AM the OFSC site has this to say about Gravenhurst - Snowcrest Riders - Limited

Top B From Trail 3 to Wood Lake Beach, C101D From TOP D to Southwood Rd, TOP D From the Floating Bridge in Bracebridge south to Kahshe Lake, Trails 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12 From C101D to Pineneedle Point Rd, 14 and 15 are LIMITED. Lakes are NOT staked. TOP B from TOP D south to Orillia is CLOSED. Please visit our website Snowcrest Riders 3/12/2009 10:46:19 AM

If it was bad last weekend, this weekend will be worse because they did not get new snow and it was mild Mon and Tues...I guess that's it for Muskoka then!

I would have to agree - I think the only "good" riding still to be found is near Gowganda north to Cochrane - JMO

Is anyone going anywhere on Saturday, I hear people talking about Haliburton Forest.

I'm waiting to hear from a buddy that is up in the area, will update you once I hear anything.

Would like to get out once more, suggestions please.

North Bay and Sudbury to far for a day trip.

Izzy

I just got off the phone with Lakeview Motel (15 min from the Forest) and they lady said they have had rain and all the trails are closed. The Forests website says they are great and good to go this weekend. I kind of find that hard to beleive, they are not God and dispite what a lot of people think they do not make their own snow!!

I'm leaning toward Burk's Falls/Sundridge.

Updates are appreciated Izzy...still interested to know how you got my pictiure in the sunken sled post ha ha!

I just got off the phone with Lakeview Motel (15 min from the Forest) and they lady said they have had rain and all the trails are closed. The Forests website says they are great and good to go this weekend. I kind of find that hard to beleive, they are not God and dispite what a lot of people think they do not make their own snow!!

I'm leaning toward Burk's Falls/Sundridge.

Updates are appreciated Izzy...still interested to know how you got my pictiure in the sunken sled post ha ha!

Thought so they do make thier own snow !

The forest has an ability to make their own snow. With the colder temps I am sure they have covered the main trails in advance of March Break so they can have another weekend at least. Temps are going to be warm this weekend however. Would go saturday and not leave it to Sunday. They are also at the top end of the haliburton trails and typically have more snow than the southern end (Kinmount/Minden).

Here is the quote from the email I received from them Wednesday March 11

"In regards to your email, we do not make snow. This morning it is raining but we are expecting a cold front coming in and this should make the trails nice and firm for this weekend. They are calling cold temperatures but nice for the rest of the week.

I trust this answers your questions. Should you require further information please do not hesitate to contact us again. To make reservations, please contact our office at 705-754-2198 between 8am and 5pm daily.

We look forward to creating a memorable experience for you."

With kind regards,

Karen

Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reservations

Here is the quote from the email I received from them Wednesday March 11

"In regards to your email, we do not make snow. This morning it is raining but we are expecting a cold front coming in and this should make the trails nice and firm for this weekend. They are calling cold temperatures but nice for the rest of the week.

I trust this answers your questions. Should you require further information please do not hesitate to contact us again. To make reservations, please contact our office at 705-754-2198 between 8am and 5pm daily.

We look forward to creating a memorable experience for you."

With kind regards,

Karen

Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reservations

Archived